What Contitutes A Round Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
STP(bus)-ORL(Meteor)-WAS(Star)-TPA??? Is that considered a roundtrip?
I took travel classes several years ago and this is what they taught us...

Round Trip - Traveling from one location to another location then later returning from that same destination back to the point of origin.

Circle Trip - Traveling from one location to a second location (point 2) then to a third location (point 3) location then back to the same point of origin. There can be more than the 3 locations. The above was just an example!

The important element is that with both round and circle trips, the point of origin must be the same or else it's not technically either round or circle trips!

Again, I got this from Travel School (taught by experienced travel agents) and not making it up! Any doubting Thomas' can easily verify this using online dictionaries! Google "round trip definition" and "circle trip definition"

Round Trip - Traveling from one location to another location then later returning from that same destination back to the point of origin.

Circle Trip - Traveling from one location to a second location (point 2) then to a third location (point 3) location then back to the same point of origin. There can be more than the 3 locations. The above was just an example!

The important element is that with both round and circle trips, the point of origin must be the same or else it's not technically either round or circle trips!

Again, I got this from Travel School (taught by experienced travel agents) and not making it up! Any doubting Thomas' can easily verify this using online dictionaries! Google "round trip definition" and "circle trip definition"
I appreciate your info! I guess it's Amtrak's definition that affects my question!

I appreciate your info! I guess it's Amtrak's definition that affects my question!
On the Amtrak Fare Finder and Reservations forms they use the terms One-Way Trip, Round Trip and Multi-City Trip and probably use those terms because it would be easier for the average person to understand. But the terms I already mentioned are the proper terms of the travel industry!

On Edit: Whoops, I probably should have answered your question directly, (see what happens when you'll get 3 years older and reach my age! LOL)

Your question states "STP(bus)-ORL(Meteor)-WAS(Star)-TPA??? Is that considered a roundtrip?" The answer to this question is that it is not a round trip. It's a One-Way Trip because the point of origin (St. Petersburg/Clearwater) is different than the final destination! (Tampa) Close but no cigar! :p

Edit 2: Whoops again! The CRS is working overtime. It's not a One-Way Trip as I stated, it's a Multi-City Trip with Amtrak or an Open-Ended Trip in the Travel Industry if I remember correctly! Still no cigar! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

On the Amtrak Fare Finder and Reservations forms they use the terms One-Way Trip, Round Trip and Multi-City Trip and probably use those terms because it would be easier for the average person to understand. But the terms I already mentioned are the proper terms of the travel industry!

Although, you could call it a roundtrip from Orlando to Orlando, with a small stub before and after!

See my previous post. I amended it while you were preparing this message!

I'm not sure why it matters whether it is a round trip or not. Amtrak doesn't charge extra for if you book two one way trips that actually make a round trip. If I book TPA to NYP on one reservation, and return NYP to TPA on a seperate reservation, I'll pay the same amount as if I had booked that as a round trip.

If I booked TPA to NYP going north on one reservation, and then NYP to STP for my return, the only difference in the fare would be the extra amount needed to reach STP since it's further than TPA. But again, there is no penalty for not returning to TPA, no surcharge for not making an exact roundtrip. Amtrak doesn't play that game.

The designation "round trip" is surely just a convenience for those who wish to book from point A to point B and back again. Amtrak doesn't recognise the difference between a round trip and the two one-ways of which it is comprised.

Circle Trip - Traveling from one location to a second location (point 2) then to a third location (point 3) location then back to the same point of origin.
I've never heard the term "Circle Trip".

Instead, I've always heard "Open-Jaw", and "RTW". Though, now that I think about it, those terms are probobly specifically for airtravel. It doesnt really apply to train travel since travelling by train is PART of the experience, while airtravel is just getting you to your experience.

Anyway, for a similar question, I was trying to use my points for a roundtrip ticket for SAO (Saco, ME) to NLF (Niagra Falls). But it says the trip is not possible. It will allow it for BOS (Boston) to NFL though.

Look at the times, it appears the reason is that the NE Regionals leave Boston before the earlier Downeaster arrives?

I can manually book a "circle" trip, but none without an overnight stay, and none that would allow me to use my points for the whole trip.

I was concerned with AGR 1 zone one way trips or is that 5500 pts. for a one way/ one leg/one zone trip?
Well in that case you'd need 11,000 points in total to take the trip you're suggesting. 5,500 SPT-WAS and then another 5,500 to return WAS-TPA.

I was concerned with AGR 1 zone one way trips or is that 5500 pts. for a one way/ one leg/one zone trip?
Well in that case you'd need 11,000 points in total to take the trip you're suggesting. 5,500 SPT-WAS and then another 5,500 to return WAS-TPA.

How about STP-WAS-ATL? 5500 pts?
Yes!

The way to tell is if you pull up amtrak.com and put in "leaving point A" and "arriving point B", if it shows a result, AGR can book it for 5,500 points (or for how many zones it would be - STP-ATL would be 1 zone). If there is no result, AGR can not book it for that amount of points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back