1994 Amtrak service video

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes, Tom, I have a long history with trains. I lived in a small town in Quebec province and rode the Canadian Pacific Rail in to Montreal for school every Monday as a kid. We had a "train gang" who grew up together riding the rails; a couple of boys would bring guitars, and one French-Canadian kid would sometimes do a traditional dance called the rig-a-jig in the aisle, to the delight of the passengers. Eventually that line was taken over, and we were treated to the train that originated in the Maritimes and continued on down into the States--complete with a dome car with café for breakfast, but there were also a lot of drunks after the overnight trip from--I'm thinking it was--Halifax.

Our yard in Iberville, Quebec, was bordered by the CPR/CNR train track AND a river, so my day was never complete without hearing that whistle blow as the trains approached the bridge and then went thundering by.

I still take the train from NYC to Montreal to visit my old pals. Sure is a pretty ride up the Hudson Valley... sometimes I see wildlife along the river.

Nice to hear you all talking trains on the forum! I made some nice friends at Amtrak in Wilmington DE when we made the video.

Totally 90's, and a little cheesy...
Hey - I don't really see a whole lot of changes - at least in clothing - from the 90's on. The hair is just morphing from what was the 80's, but, thankfully, the three-piece leisure suits and half-tinted glasses seem to be gone.

And, yes, thank you Suzy for your input. I would personally be interested to know from your perspective what you think has changed with regards to service in the past 25 years (that is, if you've ridden recently). How about VIA?

I found a photo series on OTOL recently and the railroads of the 70s were pretty ugly. The stations, the equipment, the track, all seemed to be almost unusable. Today, we may not quite be in a state of good repair, but we're better. That video from the 90's seem to indicate that was about the golden years of Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back