A quick trip to Washington, DC on 50 and 29.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was initially going to do a round trip to New Orleans this weekend, but Hurricane Helene had different ideas. Though 58 and 59 have not been canceled, I thought they might be at the beginning of the week, so I changed my plans for ease of mind. The worst thing would be to find out today that 59 was canceled, and then I was unable to rebook on something else because all the options were sold out or too expensive.

I ended up in the 5000 car with a 669-dollar roomette cheaper than the roomettes on 30—an easy choice, especially with the potential for fall colors along the New River Gorge.

I will spend Friday in Washington, D.C., and return on 30 Saturday afternoon.

Yesterday, I checked on 51, and it was running close to 6 hours late because of engine problems in Philadelphia. It made up 1 hour and is now running 5 hours late. Of course, the stop in Indianapolis may add to the delay if they decide to send repaired cars to Chicago. So, I will be watching this closely. Hopefully, tonight's departure will not be delayed.

51 limped into chicago at 2:25 p.m. I don't think Amtrak can get it serviced and turned in 3 and a half hours. A late departure will not be a problem for me. It is more a matter of how much of a delay I will experience leaving Chicago.

I'm in the lounge. I picked up a Stromboli from sbarros. It was good. Drank a free ginger ale in the lounge. No scolding for eating outside food in the lounge.

The person checking me in was professional and courteous. He said there were no updates "yet". He has the same suspicion I do and acknowledged they usually use the same equipment.

A shout out to the much maligned Chicago yard. They put together a replacement train and had it ready to go for an on-time departure. The sleeper is at the head end.

The redcap was new, but very helpful. We got down to the south concourse and there was some confusion because the equipment from the late 51 was still in the station and was someone thought that was 50. In reality 50 was on a different track. The various people involved got it sorted quickly and we were on our way.

There was an African American lady in management who was doing an excellent job under pressure.

Back