AGR points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aarem

Train Attendant
Hi,

My points from pre-Covid were all negated because of lack of use so as I have started using Amtrak again, I have noticed a strange oddity. My wife and I recently took a roomette and went from EMY to OSC in January. I noticed that I got 1338 points out of it, and she got 625 points. Why the discrepancy? Is it because the reservation was in my name?

All this came to light when I wanted to buy a ticket that will cost me 1975 points or $53. So, I looked into points and dollars, and it turns out it is almost as expensive to buy the ticket with dollars ($53) as it is to use top-off dollars on miles ($45 + 1338 miles). However, it appears that there is a slightly cheaper way out: buy the points (I will need 1000 to make the ticket, at $37.70) and then use the miles to buy the ticket. However, in either case, I pretty much have to supply 65% of the miles needed and I still have to pay between 72-85% of the fare? Interesting, indeed!

Hi,

My points from pre-Covid were all negated because of lack of use so as I have started using Amtrak again, I have noticed a strange oddity. My wife and I recently took a roomette and went from EMY to OSC in January. I noticed that I got 1338 points out of it, and she got 625 points. Why the discrepancy? Is it because the reservation was in my name?

All this came to light when I wanted to buy a ticket that will cost me 1975 points or $53. So, I looked into points and dollars, and it turns out it is almost as expensive to buy the ticket with dollars ($53) as it is to use top-off dollars on miles ($45 + 1338 miles). However, it appears that there is a slightly cheaper way out: buy the points (I will need 1000 to make the ticket, at $37.70) and then use the miles to buy the ticket. However, in either case, I pretty much have to supply 65% of the miles needed and I still have to pay between 72-85% of the fare? Interesting, indeed!
The primary reservation holder (first on the list), gets points for both their rail fare and the accommodation charge for the room, any others on the reservation only get points for their rail fare.

It has been discussed here that the redemption value for AGR points redeemed with cash and points is much less, and varies by the amount of cash used, than the full redemption of about $0.0267.

The primary reservation holder (first on the list), gets points for both their rail fare and the accommodation charge for the room, any others on the reservation only get points for their rail fare.

It has been discussed here that the redemption value for AGR points redeemed with cash and points is much less, and varies by the amount of cash used, than the full redemption of about $0.0267.
Thank you for the explanation with regard to the first point. I understand now.

With regard to the second point, I understand what you are saying and do not have any concern about that.

However, I fail to see how what Amtrak is doing makes any sense. Here is an example. I can use my 1338 points on a ticket that costs 1238 points or $33 (or $36 if I want to do a flex). However, if I want to buy two tickets, for which I have to use Points + Money, it costs me more in both points (1338) and dollars ($45). Note that I appear to be better off buying two separate tickets: one for 1238 points and the other for $33 (or $36). And I would even have 100 points left over after that. How can something cost more in dollars if I am using points towards it. I can understand if the dollar per point costs more, but the calculation ends up at more than the price of the ticket itself?

Back