New rider from Boston to DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi . First time train user, any suggestions ? What should I know or expect?
I will be traveling between Boston and ash. DC starting week of Sept. 8th.

Departing Boston, if you sit on the left side of the train (in the direction of travel), you'll have good coastal views between Westerly, RI and New Haven. A little past New Brunswick, you can see the abandoned Turbotrains rusting away on a siding. You'll also have a good view of the Philadelphia skyline as you pass North Philadelphia and cross the Schuylkill river. Plus a view of the SEPTA trolley barn a little south of Philadelphia (don't blink, the train passes by pretty quickly.) On the other hand, if you sit on the right side of the train in the direction of traffic, you'll get a view of the Manhattan skyline as you cross the Hell Gate Bridge.

Departing Washington, the views are opposite: right side of the train to see Philadelphia and the Connecticut coast, left side to see Manhattan.

The views may be marginally better on the Acela, as the windows are larger than the Amfleet 1s used on the Northeast Regional.

Pay attention to the time of day you're traveling. The northwest facing seats (right side BOS-DC, left side DC -BOS) will have sun in your eyes in the late afternoon and evening. The southeast-facing seats will have sun in your eyes in the morning. All Acela classes have curtains, but only business class on the Northeast Regional has curtains, so if you're in coach, you might have a problem with sun glare.

Make sure you keep a copy of your e-ticket. They change operating crews in New York, and tickets will be rechecked (in both direction) upon leaving New York.

I usually make a couple trips a year between Boston and DC on an Acela. It seems to be a relatively smooth operation in my experience. You can now change your seat assignment quite easily provided that there are open seats where you want to sit. You can decide if you want to be in the quiet car or not. I have done both and don't find a great deal of difference. I usually try to get a seat in the last business class car even though it means a longer walk when you get to your destination.

I agree with MARC Rider on the best side of the train to sit on.

Every time I have taken an Acela, there has always been a 5 minute stop at New Haven where you can step out on the platform for a fresh air break.

While the approach to New York City is interesting the actual station stop is underground and is non-scenic.

I haven't traveled on a Northeast Regional for over 10 years so I am not the best person to give you advice on that. Except that in my limited experience I have found the cars at the end of the train have been quieter and less crowded.

Hope you have a great trip and let us know how it goes.

I haven't traveled on a Northeast Regional for over 10 years so I am not the best person to give you advice on that. Except that in my limited experience I have found the cars at the end of the train have been quieter and less crowded.
I also haven't been on a Regional in a while but what I remember is leaving Boston the train tended to fill up from the rear forward so it was worth it to hoof it towards the front of the train for a good seat. Not sure about the setup at Washington.

I also haven't been on a Regional in a while but what I remember is leaving Boston the train tended to fill up from the rear forward so it was worth it to hoof it towards the front of the train for a good seat. Not sure about the setup at Washington.
The same situation in Washington. They board from the rear of the train. The first car encountered is business class, then the quiet car. There are always lots of empty seats up in the front of the train.

The same situation in Washington. They board from the rear of the train. The first car encountered is business class, then the quiet car. There are always lots of empty seats up in the front of the train.
I should have clarified in my post that I was talking about boarding a through Northeast Regional at New York, not at the point of origin. My experience in New York is that if you board at the front of the train you find no available seats so you have to drag your luggage through the aisles of several cars before you find a seat. So I developed the practice of walking directly to the last or next to the last car and boarding there and that has worked out well so far.

Recapping my Boston to Wash DC round trip.
Departure efficient and on time. Though I didn't expect so much car sway the ride was uneventful and enjoyable.
In CT I had my 1st opportunity of looking down from a train at my childhood Point of Woods "Little Beach" where I had had spent summers looking up at and waving to train engineers anticipating their return horn toots. In that area there's was an accessible rock cut area off of Hubbard Rd where teenagers would throw rocks down onto the trains and where pennies could be flatten on the rails and could also be found. We could walk the tracks over 4 (or5?) mile river and get through the fence into Rocky Neck St Park.
Arrival at the beautiful Union Station was on time and efficient enjoying the transit through the bustle of people to my awaiting ride.
Regional 178 departure was late with continued delays before boarding 1 hour late and the slightly warm business car having no ventilation or climate control. We were offered seats in AC coach cars at coach fares. I choose to stay in assigned seat with no issues. Amtrak awarded 250 points for the inconvenience. No issues with arrival in BOS at 2am.
Thanks. Peace.

Back