albany arrival

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC it would've been Road Power, Boston Bag, Lounge, Boston Coach, New York Coach, Diner, New York Sleeper, New York Baggage, which is in line with what Alan recalls.
No Boston sleeper?
The Boston sleeper was on the head end out of BOS and the lounge car was on the rear. The sleeper disappeared about (within 6 months or so) the same time as the stub appeared. Probably helped in deciding to run the stub. There was much ado about putting the two trains together I think Amtrak got tired of the switching circus that the crews made out of it.

IIRC it would've been Road Power, Boston Bag, Lounge, Boston Coach, New York Coach, Diner, New York Sleeper, New York Baggage, which is in line with what Alan recalls.
No Boston sleeper?
The Boston sleeper was on the head end out of BOS and the lounge car was on the rear. The sleeper disappeared about (within 6 months or so) the same time as the stub appeared. Probably helped in deciding to run the stub. There was much ado about putting the two trains together I think Amtrak got tired of the switching circus that the crews made out of it.
I wonder if the 1999 derailing helped lead up to the sleeper you mentioned disappeared? See news article!

No Boston sleeper?
Only in the last few years of the run through was the sleeper on the head end. While I'm still not home and able to pull out my notes from old trips, I did look up a trip report on OTOL that I did in 2002, and the consist listing that I provided at that time does indeed show that the Boston sleeper used to be on the rear prior to the demise of Express Trak.

No Boston sleeper?
I wonder if the 1999 derailing helped lead up to the sleeper you mentioned disappeared? See news article!
Doubtful, since the derailment had nothing to do with the process of combining/seperating the two trains. Not to mention that the derailment occured several years before Amtrak decided to stop the run through. I truly believe that this had as much to do with the costs of combining/seperating, the slow crews that peformed the tasks, and the issues with freezing during the winter months.

No Boston sleeper?
Doubtful, since the derailment had nothing to do with the process of combining/seperating the two trains. Not to mention that the derailment occured several years before Amtrak decided to stop the run through. I truly believe that this had as much to do with the costs of combining/seperating, the slow crews that peformed the tasks, and the issues with freezing during the winter months.
Thanks Alan, I too had doubts because of the time-line but really didn't know. The only reason that I even thought of the derailment is because I had picked up my wife at the Rensselaer station on that particular day. She was returning from LA. The derailment was the same train she arrived on but the derailment occured after she got off and we were on our way home from the station. (the newspaper article I provided a link to was wrong when they said the train was approaching the station. It was after it arrived) We later heard about it on the evening news!

No Boston sleeper?
Oops. This is what happens when you reply to things at 12 in the morning and you've had a rough day.

As for being on trains that have derailed later on, I had a near miss a few years ago. I was on 98 and tried to stretch my luck to catch 91 at SFD rather than WPK. Well sure enough we got put in siding for 91 at Sanford, and they rolled right past us. So I went over to the yard and hung around there for a few hours when I heard 91 had put the engine and bag car on the ground at Auburndale. Since 97 was still en route, a P-40 (yeah, it was that long ago) was pulled out and added to the head end of 97 at Sanford. We made our way south with some Sanford boys on board (to take the derailed equipment back to Sanford). The plan was for 97 to pick up the cars that hadn't derailed, run out to Lakeland, wye the train, come back and run through McDonald connection, and head south. Well we were about 10 miles from Auburndale when word came down that a CSX train had hit a car near Lakeland, thus preventing the previous plan. They sped up the re-railment of the engine and bag car and repaired the track quickly. We got there, made the joint with the additional equipment, crept over the spot where the derailment occurred, and headed south. Our crew went on the law just south of Winter Haven, and we picked up another crew from the PTI van. By the time we made it to Ft. Lauderdale I think it was around 4 or 5 in the morning (and we were due in around 9 PM). That was a long day to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back