Amtrak Coach discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why aren't passengers seated in a seat most likely to be vacant for most of the trip. Have a computer figure this one out. For example, if I'm going from the first station on the route to the last, have computer reserve seat passengers next to me who are traveling for much shorter distances. This way, I will much less likely to be seated with a seat mate who is going the full route, as I am.
Regarding having no seat mate, why not be able to but the seat next to you. Amtrak makes the same amount of money and you get all the room you need.
Regarding the crew not enforcing the rule of headphones or no excessive noise, why don't they? There should be no excuse for them not enforcing the rules.
Sorry, but while traveling on Amtrak, the crew is assisting in the comfort of the reasonable passenger who may be traveling for two days or longer. The crew can spread out anywhere of the train.
I like the idea of buying a second seat, but not the rest. Have you ever traveled coach across the country? Having people coming and going in the through coach would be incredibly disruptive. It would be a nightmare for the crew and operational chaos. Nobody would get any sleep.

I've slept well in coach if the seats recline and there are leg rests or at least footrests. Having a cover such as a blanket, a throw, a long winter coat, etc. I've found essential even in summer if the AC is too cold. Sadly, airlines no longer provide blankets, which I needed (folded up) for back support. The new coaches with seats that do not recline at all are not on overnight trains that I know of, but lying across two such seats can work for a nap if the car isn't full.

Why aren't passengers seated in a seat most likely to be vacant for most of the trip. Have a computer figure this one out. For example, if I'm going from the first station on the route to the last, have computer reserve seat passengers next to me who are traveling for much shorter distances. This way, I will much less likely to be seated with a seat mate who is going the full route, as I am.
Regarding having no seat mate, why not be able to but the seat next to you. Amtrak makes the same amount of money and you get all the room you need.
Regarding the crew not enforcing the rule of headphones or no excessive noise, why don't they? There should be no excuse for them not enforcing the rules.
Sorry, but while traveling on Amtrak, the crew is assisting in the comfort of the reasonable passenger who may be traveling for two days or longer. The crew can spread out anywhere of the train.
That would be utter chaos. It would also mean that people would be constantly coming and going when you’re trying to sleep. It would be a nightmare for the crew making sure passengers got off at the right stops. Also, all doors don’t open at all stations, only the cars that have passengers getting on and off. That idea wouldn’t be good.

Back