Amtrak Dining and Cafe Service discussion 2024 H2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some waiters were probably kept busy carrying food trays to private bedrooms and drawing rooms.
That, and another served as the “pantry man”, maintaining supplies, condiments, polishing silver and glassware, etc. Each waiter not only took orders from patrons, but served sometimes as many as 5 or 6 courses. And they also prepared salads and soup orders at the pantry.
The chef was assisted by a second and third cook. Occasionally, a fourth. The 3rd and 4th washed the dishes and pots and pans, as well as scrubbing the complete galley after each meal. Just about everything served was prepared on board from scratch.
The steward supervised everything. He also collected the payments, seated the patrons, prepared cocktails, and with the help of the chef, maintained inventory, and resupply orders.
Between meals, waiters polished silverware. One waiter would walk thru the train, play a chime instrument, and announce the first and subsequent calls for each meal.

Last edited:
That, and another served as the “pantry man”, maintaining supplies, condiments, polishing silver and glassware, etc. Each waiter not only took orders from patrons, but served sometimes as many as 5 or 6 courses. And they also prepared salads and soup orders at the pantry.
The chef was assisted by a second and third cook. Occasionally, a fourth. The 3rd and 4th washed the dishes and pots and pans, as well as scrubbing the complete galley after each meal. Just about everything served was prepared on board from scratch.
In about 1953 my dad took me by the galley end of the economy diner on UP457/458 and introduced me to the chef and two cooks. I don't remember how many waiters there were. I do remember how tight the space in the galley was.

Last edited:
A well-run hotel was the inspiration for the operation of many long-haul luxury trains in the extra-fare all-Pullman years. The people who rode those luxury trains were those who not only expected the best of everything but who could afford service in the same style they might have encountered at the Waldorf-Astoria or The Savoy in London. This is undoubtedly why the railroads had to have real China in their dining cars.

It should be pointed out that, back when food was served on real China in the dining cars, people dressed up when they went to the dining car to eat. (In Europe, people still dress formally when dining on a train.) In today’s world, many people wear jeans or other casual clothing when traveling and think nothing of doing so when eating in the dining car. In this informal atmosphere, why should anyone be concerned about Amtrak serving meals on informal plastic plates?
To my mind, clothing should not dictate how food is served.

Panera manages to serve on dishware and offer metal cutlery. Folks wear whatever to Panera.

I get your point, but I am not sure that it applies in 2024.

To my mind, clothing should not dictate how food is served.

Panera manages to serve on dishware and offer metal cutlery. Folks wear whatever to Panera.

I get your point, but I am not sure that it applies in 2024.
Again, the first priority should be to restore traditional dining to all long distance trains rather than first restoring dishware.

I remember riding the empire Builder in 1977 with my dad. I was 11. We stood in a long line to get seated. I recall that we spent time in the vestibule where there was an open ditch door. Then we got to the long hall next to the kitchen. There was no AC in the diner. I looked in to the door t of the kitchen. I remember someone commenting about the presto logs adding to the heat. The side door was also open to give some relief to the diner crew. We eventually were seated. The dinner was good. I had the cheeseburger superb. Don’t remember dessert.

That diner served coaches and sleepers on an 18 car train.

When it comes to staffing, I do think that the Cross Country Diner Concept was a good one. For the western trains that typically have 2 in the kitchen, 2 servers and 2 LSA's (diner and cafe) - if you put that same staff in the CCC car and alternated the hours with overlap during the busy times, you could serve more customers with better quality food, since the Cafe menu could offer food prepared in the kitchen downstairs. For the most popular trains, the upstairs of the SSL cars could also be staffed with drinks and snacks, allowing the CCC car to be a true cafe car.

IMO Amtrak has no incentive to upgrade dinning because upgraded dinning cannot bring in more riders. Until the LD trains have enough capacity to attract more riders Amtrak does not need to upgrade the dinning experience, As an example Auto Train has the capacity, its dinning service does meet somewhat higher standards for dinning.

When it comes to staffing, I do think that the Cross Country Diner Concept was a good one. For the western trains that typically have 2 in the kitchen, 2 servers and 2 LSA's (diner and cafe) - if you put that same staff in the CCC car and alternated the hours with overlap during the busy times, you could serve more customers with better quality food, since the Cafe menu could offer food prepared in the kitchen downstairs. For the most popular trains, the upstairs of the SSL cars could also be staffed with drinks and snacks, allowing the CCC car to be a true cafe car.
The Cross Country Cafe service was a great concept. It was such a great idea that, of course, it was never implemented by Amtrak management.

Last edited:
Back