Amtrak Fall Foliage trips out of Philly

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a Guest Rewards member but missed out on this trip. Are there any other fall foliage excursions that folks have found worthy? I am in NYC but have family in York/Harrisburg/Lancaster area.... any Eastern seaboard trip info would be welcome. Thanks so much.
It's not in the East, but riding the CZ through the Colorado Rockies anytime between 10 Sept and 28 Sept can provide some spectacular views of aspen in their autumn glory.

And the influx of tamarisk along the Colorado River between Glenwood Springs and Ruby Canyon, Utah turn a sweet shade of salmon pink in late October/early November.

For those familiar with the operational aspect of this Special......will they have to reverse the direction of the train for any segments, or will it be able to go in one direction or be turned for necessary changes?

Something to consider when selecting favored side to select seat on........

For those familiar with the operational aspect of this Special......will they have to reverse the direction of the train for any segments, or will it be able to go in one direction or be turned for necessary changes?Something to consider when selecting favored side to select seat on........
The train will run in the same direction all the way. No reversing moves are required.

For the best views of the Susquehanna River, a seat on the left side would be ideal.

I am not part of the NY contingent, but I will offer my 2 cents. My train is scheduled to arrive in PHL at 5:35pm on Friday. I will be going to WAS on Saturday evening, although I do not have the reservations yet. I am thinking about taking 159 which leaves PHL at 6:33pm.
I get into PHL at 5:30pm on Friday. I guess I will get something out of PHL around 6:30pm on Saturday too then, but headed the other way. A short 55min run to Metropark for me.
I just got an email from Amtrak. It appears that 92 will be having a schedule change for about a month (likely due to track work) and instead of arriving in PHL at 5:35pm, I will be arriving around 11:30am. What is really odd is that, for about a month, 92 and 98 are scheduled to leave ORL within a minute of each other. I think that will be very confusing for staff and passengers.

I did make a reservation to leave PHL on 159 at 6:33pm

Dome on the Adirondack has been cut back from November 1 to October 29. Think that means the dome will be on the AXP trip?

“GREAT DOME” CAR RETURNS TO ADIRONDACK SERVICE

Upstate New York fall foliage trips by train through Oct. 29

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/120/55/ATK-13-100%20Dome%20Car%20Returns%20to%20Adirondack.pdf

NEW YORK – Passengers riding the Amtrak Adirondack train north of Albany will once again have the unique opportunity to experience the spectacular view of New York State’s fall foliage season when the historic ‘Great Dome’ rail car is making a special five-week return appearance through Oct. 29.

Dome on the Adirondack has been cut back from November 1 to October 29. Think that means the dome will be on the AXP trip?

“GREAT DOME” CAR RETURNS TO ADIRONDACK SERVICE

Upstate New York fall foliage trips by train through Oct. 29

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/120/55/ATK-13-100%20Dome%20Car%20Returns%20to%20Adirondack.pdf

NEW YORK – Passengers riding the Amtrak Adirondack train north of Albany will once again have the unique opportunity to experience the spectacular view of New York State’s fall foliage season when the historic ‘Great Dome’ rail car is making a special five-week return appearance through Oct. 29.
Sounds plausible to me!

Now only if Amtrak could secure a few more domes to be used on specials instead of having only the one...

In one of the many, many, many discussions of Superliners on the NEC discussions, I believe someone posted or made mention of a photograph of a Superliner sitting in PHL. Only on a certain track/tracks, but I seem to recall that it's possible.

The dome wouldn't likely fit through any of the tunnels, but it should be fine under the wires (it is when it's in WAS). There may be a random low bridge or 3 on the corridor somewhere that it can't pass either, but I wouldn't rule it out.

In one of the many, many, many discussions of Superliners on the NEC discussions, I believe someone posted or made mention of a photograph of a Superliner sitting in PHL. Only on a certain track/tracks, but I seem to recall that it's possible.

The dome wouldn't likely fit through any of the tunnels, but it should be fine under the wires (it is when it's in WAS). There may be a random low bridge or 3 on the corridor somewhere that it can't pass either, but I wouldn't rule it out.
Is this the photo?

199510.0008.jpg

In one of the many, many, many discussions of Superliners on the NEC discussions, I believe someone posted or made mention of a photograph of a Superliner sitting in PHL. Only on a certain track/tracks, but I seem to recall that it's possible.The dome wouldn't likely fit through any of the tunnels, but it should be fine under the wires (it is when it's in WAS). There may be a random low bridge or 3 on the corridor somewhere that it can't pass either, but I wouldn't rule it out.
A dome car is NOT allowed to be occupied while under catenary.

In one of the many, many, many discussions of Superliners on the NEC discussions, I believe someone posted or made mention of a photograph of a Superliner sitting in PHL. Only on a certain track/tracks, but I seem to recall that it's possible.The dome wouldn't likely fit through any of the tunnels, but it should be fine under the wires (it is when it's in WAS). There may be a random low bridge or 3 on the corridor somewhere that it can't pass either, but I wouldn't rule it out.
IF it's on the Fall Excursion, they could keep it closed until it leaves Perryville and close it again when it gets to Harrisburg, right?

IF it's on the Fall Excursion, they could keep it closed until it leaves Perryville and close it again when it gets to Harrisburg, right?
But think of the 'bum's rush' to 10031 in Perryville! :eek:

:p

I never said that it was.

But think of the 'bum's rush' to 10031 in Perryville! :eek: :p
Didn't you hear? It will be by lottery. And I happen to know the conductor likes sweet BBQ sauce. :D

But think of the 'bum's rush' to 10031 in Perryville! :eek: :p
Didn't you hear? It will be by lottery. And I happen to know the conductor likes sweet BBQ sauce. :D
Hmmmm... Time to start cooking again! :p

BTW - I do cut back on the sugar some - but I do that with all recipes - and use a nice tart apple cider vinegar. It is awesome! You'll be in the coveted seat at the front of 10031 for sure - even if the conductor has 'reserved' it for themselves. :giggle:

I think a lot of people on this trip need to get a grip and stop foaming at the mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back