Amtrak long distance trains - Power Socket types

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sounds like an upgraded or refurbished arrangement to me.
My impression was that each block of 5 roomettes was on its own circuit, and I have had the circuit go out in my room while I wasn't doing anything but charging a phone. If that happened in the middle of the night, the power stayed off until the attendant discovered at 6 in the morning that the coffee pot in the hall wouldn't start.

I think the people who have gotten lucky with high-draw appliances have just happened to not have anyone nearby doing the same.

But I only was there to see the attendant open the panel once, several years ago now, and I didn't take a photo.
I haven't seen that arrangement in a while.
Inclusion of an AC outlet in trains, planes, and yes, even buses began wayyyy before modern electronics, and was originally to accommodate them there newfangled electric razors. They stumbled along for years until hair dryers, curlers and he rest of the current crop of devices came into the mainstream. It became much more efficient to install a power bus with individual branches. Customer complaints were reduced, safety was enhanced. GFI devices made it even more so. I haven't seen a 2 prong outlet in a Supeliner in a long long time.
For a long time the NEC exempted wiring in vehicles, but many local jurisdictions enacted codes superseding the NEC. When designing TV remote units, I had to factor in all the local codes plus the even more stringent Canadian codes.
As I am indeed among other things an Electrical Engineer, I have prowled AMTRAK equipment equipped with flashlights, lock opening apparatus and an inborn desire to know how things work.
It has been a very long time since I have seen an original design Superliner, which indeed have a block electrical system as you describe.
This knowledge has come in handy, I have shown several SCAs how to fix balky HVACs, even a sleeper toilet system which threatened to Bad Order an entire car once on the Crescent.
The upgrade path to LV lighting controls, solid state PA and music systems, even the video players and displays in the rooms (now long gone) has been a rocky path. The constant mechanical stress on things have shown that you can't just toss a couple of VCRs in a cabinet and expect them to work for very long.
Those coffee urns upstairs in the Superliners are heavy current items, and the elements are prone to fail, tripping a branch circuit.

A "Ground Lifter" or 3 prong to 2 prong adapter is not intrinsically unsafe. You can buy them anywhere from supermarkets convenience stores and truck stops. A proper Ground Lifter has a ground wire attached which can easily be grounded to the outlet ground. It merely allows a three prong plug to fit a 2 prong socket. This is the main purpose in my including it in this discussion. Much better than breaking off the ground pin.
If the device to be powered is operating properly, there is no great risk unless someone does something really dumb. Same as a hammer or a pistol.
what you and I are referring to as a ground lifter are not the same thing what you are describing is a common 3-2 prong adapter most of which have a provision to use the center screw to pick up the ground where available... I was talking about the ones used in AV/Sound, a different animal... that was why I said it was best used by someone with your background

what you and I are referring to as a ground lifter are not the same thing what you are describing is a common 3-2 prong adapter most of which have a provision to use the center screw to pick up the ground where available... I was talking about the ones used in AV/Sound, a different animal... that was why I said it was best used by someone with your background
We used the 3 to 2 adapters as described when economy or lack of funds dictated their use. For audio common mode "hum" issues, we used transformers, breaking the ground connection in a balanced connection. For video, an unbalanced circuit, we used "hum stop coils", 15 feet of miniature coax wound in bifilar fashion on a toroidal core to cancel out common mode interference.
In an AMTRAK coach (getting back on track), the only issue would be in trying to connect a 3 wire plug to an old outdated and possibly non code compliant socket.

A "Ground Lifter" or 3 prong to 2 prong adapter is not intrinsically unsafe.
A ground lifter is not intended to be used in an unsafe manner, but I have only ever seen them used contrary to the intention. Most of the time even improper use is unlikely to cause a major problem, but the one time it does watch out.

Last edited:
A ground lifter is not intended to be used in an unsafe manner, but I have only ever seen them used contrary to the intention. Most of the time even improper use is unlikely to cause a major problem, but the one time it does watch out.
Oh well, just like a pistol, an automobile, a knife or a rope.

Back