Amtrak Siemens Charger Locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on what I've read about the new Siemens Charger locomotives, it seems that the practice of changing between diesel and electric locomotives in places like Albany, New Haven, Philadelphia, and Washington DC will be eliminated for daytime trains but retained for night trains (i.e. Cardinal, Crescent, & Silver Service). Is my understanding of this situation accurate here?
That is substantially correct. This will happen when all daytime trains are converted to using the articulated Airo sets powered by ALC42Es.

That is substantially correct. This will happen when all daytime trains are converted to using the articulated Airo sets powered by ALC42Es.
In terms of this change not being applied to night trains, is the reasoning something along the lines of the following?

"30 minutes is nothing in a journey totaling 20+ hours, so let's not bother."

In terms of this change not being applied to night trains, is the reasoning something along the lines of the following?

"30 minutes is nothing in a journey totaling 20+ hours, so let's not bother."
It is more that LD trains travel far and it is silly to send an entire electric engine equipment across the country where they will find no use beyond NEC.

I don't think the time for engine change is not the biggest issue. even for Virginia trains since they are not the fastest thing with most reliable schedules south of Washington DC. But of course when it is possible saving a few minutes is useful. Effectively for most efficient operation scenarios it save 10 to 15 minutes. Those trains will be stopping in Washington DC for at least 10 minutes and maybe 15 either way.

It is worth noting that the Airo sets are being used to replace intercity consists, which often use Amfleet Is. Since the night trains use Viewliners as well, or Superliners, Amtrak is not looking to replace those consists with sets that do not provide roomettes, etc., which explains the separate RFP for long distance equipment.

A Charger-Amfleet-Charger set is running as KP2022 and headed out of Penn Coach Yard "to Ham for testing".

~7:57PM KP2022 to CETC-5: heading up to Ham for some testing.

8:13PM - KP2022 pulled up on the Schuylkill bridge and is a Charger-Amfleet-Charger set.

I believe it went behind #656 just before 8:20PM.

Somewhere around 8:30PM it sounds like they got a speed sensor issue and they're stopped near North Philadelphia. They just got permission east at 8:37PM.

8:40PM KP2022 is at MP 83.5; test run is cancelled and they're turning around and heading back to Philadelphia.

Last edited:
Back