Amtrak Timetables

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm obsessed with looking at a simple concise summary printed on paper that I can circle things, scribble notes on, and compare times at a glance. Maybe even hold two of them together to easily work out connection times and cross-reference other information.
When we travel, we always have several paper copies of our e-tickets scattered among our carry-on bags. We also have paper copies of the timetables of the trains we will be on. Paper copies can be referred to at any time and aren’t subject to being lost in cyber space should some event occur that wipes out all the information contained in our laptop or makes it otherwise unavailable.

This obsession with printed timetables is eclipsed only by Detroit Tigers fans still posting and canonizing Mark Fidrych on Facebook and elsewhere. Get over both obsessions and I'll end with obligatory: GO BLUE!
I'm fine with timetables not being made available in printed form, but still can't get over them not being available for printing in .pdf. The prior format was great, with a tremendous amount of useful information presented in an efficient, easy to digest manner.

Also, with PDF timetables, what does it "cost" Amtrak? A day or two of time from a staff member a few times per year? I hate to say it, but they could probably buy a computer program to automate the generation process for a full-timetable PDF...

Back