Amtrak to Grand Canyon

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everybody, I would like to take a cross country rail trip through the southern US and heard of a private rail that could take you to the south part of the Grand Canyon. Has anyone else been on this? I’d depart from GBO on the Crescent to begin my journey. I’d love some feedback on stops or other points of interest as well.

Hi everybody, I would like to take a cross country rail trip through the southern US and heard of a private rail that could take you to the south part of the Grand Canyon. Has anyone else been on this? I’d depart from GBO on the Crescent to begin my journey. I’d love some feedback on stops or other points of interest as well.
Be sure to read all the comments in this thread. You can book through Amtrak reservations a shuttle from the Flagstaff Amtrak station to a hotel near the Grand Canyon Railway, as well as the ticket on the GCRR itself.

Or you might consider a car rental as others have suggested, but driving to and in the park during the busy summer season can be frustrating.

Regardless of how you reach the canyon, I suggest spending the night in a park hotel. This allows you to see the amazing colors of sunset and sunrise (don't sleep in). From 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. the light doesn't give the best effect.

There is a hotel at the Williams station where the Grand canyon train leaves from. It also has a cafeteria style restaurant which I felt was overpriced and had the ambience of a high school cafeteria. But there are some nice restaurants in Williams within walking distance. We particularly liked the Red Raven.

Be sure to read all the comments in this thread. You can book through Amtrak reservations a shuttle from the Flagstaff Amtrak station to a hotel near the Grand Canyon Railway, as well as the ticket on the GCRR itself.

Or you might consider a car rental as others have suggested, but driving to and in the park during the busy summer season can be frustrating.

Regardless of how you reach the canyon, I suggest spending the night in a park hotel. This allows you to see the amazing colors of sunset and sunrise (don't sleep in). From 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. the light doesn't give the best effect.
I definitely will stay at a hotel there and take that advice! Much appreciated.

Back