Amtrak Viewliner Diner 8400

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah!! On another rail website, well respected Gene Poon posted this missive, quoting I guess from an APTA news release:

-----------------------------------------------

Amtrak solicitation for Viewliner II bids

PURCHASE OF "VIEWLINER 2" LONG-DISTANCE SINGLE-LEVEL PASSENGER CARS

RFP# X-047-9167-001

INTRODUCTION:

Amtrak intends to issue a competitive Request for Proposal for a vendor to

design, manufacture and deliver 130 "Viewliner 2" Long Distance Single-Level

Passenger Cars, with an option for Amtrak to purchase up to an additional 70

cars. The "Viewliner 2" rolling stock which is fully described in the

Technical Specifications, will be used as Amtrak passenger trains, primarily

in long-distance service, but capable of operating anywhere within Amtrak's

system. There are four (4) "Viewliner 2" car types: Diners, Sleepers,

Baggage-Dorms and Baggage cars. The "Viewliner 2" cars will be modeled on

the concept of the Amtrak "Viewliner 1" cars.

The anticipated dates for procurement and award of Request for Proposal

#X-047-9167-001 are as follows:

TASKS: ANTICIPATED DATES:

Amtrak issues RFP Week of June 22, 2009

Mandatory Pre-Proposal Meeting July 23 and 24, 2009 in Miami, FL

Due Date for submission of written proposals October 20, 2009

Oral Presentation from Short-Listed Companies Week of January 11, 2010

Contract Award Week of May 24, 2010

Notice to Proceed Week of June 28, 2010

Amtrak, at its sole discretion and without discussion, will determine which

Proposers will be added to its bid list. ONLY Proposers that can meet the

minimum qualifications listed below should E-MAIL or MAIL a request for the

Request for Proposal Package on company letterhead to:

Ms. Virginia Squitieri

Senior Director, Capital Equipment

National Railroad Passenger Corporation

30th & Market Streets, 5th Floor, Box 12 Philadelphia, PA 19104

E-Mail: [email protected]

QUALIFICATIONS: Qualification will be based on a demonstration of:

* Relevant experience the design, manufacture and delivery of

passenger rail cars which have already been successfully completed, or which

are currently in progress, especially pertaining to intercity, long-distance

passenger equipment.

* Proven project management, quality assurance, warranty support,

field support and rail industry innovation

* Financial resources/capability.

So, since we haven't heard anything to the contrary, on the week of May 23rd we shall expect an announcement that will rival Prozac.

Thanks for looking that up. My guess is that any announcement is contingent upon funding being in place. And since that is not the case there will be no announcement in the week of May 23rd. I don't see how they can award a contract without having the money appropriated to back it up. One cannot depend on a Congressional non-promise to fund something in the future for such I should think. But of course we will see what happens between now and then. Maybe they will find a way to get a loan? Who knows?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can find no reference in the Commerce Business Daily that Amtrak actually issued RFP# X-047-9167-001. All my sources show that Amtrak "intends to issue" on June 22, 2009 as NEC933's post states. Does anyone have access to the CBD archives for June 2009 and later to confirm if and when the RFP was issued?

So ONE car builder will get the entire store? The Viewliners, Superliners, Acela II, next generation corridor? If that's true, it would be much easier to attract a single supplier with a massive contract than two or three with watered down business.
Didn't say that. I know from both sources and internal information that Amtrak plans on 5 distinct types of cars:

1. Bi-Level Long Distance: Currently the Superliner I and II cars, likely successors would be Superliner IIIs (pure guess).
  2. Bi-Level Corridor: Ala Surfliner/California cars, likely replacing the Horizons.
  3. Single-Level Corridor: Currently served by the Horizon and Amfleet I cars.
  4. Single Level Long Distance: Currently the Amfleet II, Viewliner, and Heritage cars, likely to be called the Viewliner II cars.
  5. High-Speed Rail: Currently the Acela, likely to be called the Acela II

Now, from what I understand, there will likely be three essential body types, Bi-Level, Single-Level, and High-Speed. All bi-level cars will probably use the same basic shape as the Superliner/Surfliner, and be built by a single company. Why? Saves money. All Single-Level cars will likely use the Viewliner shell and be built by a single company for the same reason. The Acela II shell might use a similar shell assembled with related processes. If so, it would likely be assembled by the same company building Viewliner shell cars for the reason of saving money.

I can find no reference in the Commerce Business Daily that Amtrak actually issued RFP# X-047-9167-001. All my sources show that Amtrak "intends to issue" on June 22, 2009 as NEC933's post states. Does anyone have access to the CBD archives for June 2009 and later to confirm if and when the RFP was issued?
I know it was issued, but I don't have a source.

Does anyone have a diagram of the interior layout of Viewliner 8400 before it was ripped apart?
The most recent interior pictures I can find show the car basically gutted at Beach Grove being rebuilt. Which is not very helpful

I'm working with Perrock on a model of it for Trainz Railroad Simulator. But other then the Placement of the tables, which were all a guess, I have no idea how the interior was laid out

I really need the area around the kitchen. I have no pictures of that area, so I have had to work off the layout of older Heritage diners, which I know won't be as accurate.

Thanks for any help!
So folks do you think we can get back on topic?

as a little treat here is the most recent pic of it.

viewlinerdiner5-1.jpg

peter

Railpace reports 8400 is running on the Lake Shore Limited!!!

Mod edit: Current discussion of Viewliner Diner 8400 is HERE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back