Atlantic Coast (Silver/Palmetto/Carolinian) Service discussion Q4 2023 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were initially delayed due to issues in NYC, but what pushed things to unacceptably late was having to sit behind a CSX freight for at least 1.5 hours, going probably ~15-40 mph the whole time. Awful experience.
I agree this is frustrating but I always say to myself, better to be moving than not at all. The worst is just sitting for 30-45-60 minutes or longer.

I agree this is frustrating but I always say to myself, better to be moving than not at all. The worst is just sitting for 30-45-60 minutes or longer.
That's what I tried to say to myself, which worked for the first bit, but my (personal) conclusion was that in some circumstances I'd almost rather be sitting, and then getting to immediately go up to a normal speed, rather than plodding along for extended periods of time. It was an unexpected conclusion, since I thought I'd prefer moving, but something about it eventually drove me batty. That said, sitting and waiting for freights without moving is undoubtedly still unpleasant. Last December we would have been almost on time into St. Paul on the Empire Builder, only to have to sit and wait in sight of downtown for ~15 minutes, and that made me crazy!

CSX out of DC is really doing a number on the Carolinian, but as you said, specifically Train 79. I was on the over 3 hours (that's a western long distance train type-delay!) late Carolinian last Tuesday. We were initially delayed due to issues in NYC, but what pushed things to unacceptably late was having to sit behind a CSX freight for at least 1.5 hours, going probably ~15-40 mph the whole time. Awful experience. Things are worst near and south of Richmond, and to Rocky Mount. The S Line restoration needs to happen yesterday! Thank goodness they are at least moving the project forward.
Now you know why Petersburg to Rocky Mount is referred to as "The Gauntlet". Even at best of times one is weaving through a mix of trains and if the choreography goes off kilter even a bit, one is prone to get stuck.

Now you know why Petersburg to Rocky Mount is referred to as "The Gauntlet". Even at best of times one is weaving through a mix of trains and if the choreography goes off kilter even a bit, one is prone to get stuck.
My, I guess so! I hadn't heard that term before but can say I intimately understand it! Makes more sense knowing that the situation is longstanding and difficult enough to have a nickname and why you get stuck if things get off even a little.

Actually, most of the delays I've endured on this route have been between Richmond and Alexandria.
Richmond to Alexandria is a multi-track railroad which still suffers from delays to some extent due to construction related track outage, specially where the third track work is happening.

On the 79 Carolinian on 27 May 2024 and the train was packed as is the norm for a 3 day weekend. I think the total number of passengers was around 150% of seat count with people one and off along the way. Maybe 200% of seat count.

Being sold out we did not have an option for either an upgrade coupon nor a bid up to business class. We did use our lounge pass and then requested a red cap to get us on the coach before anyone else boarding at DC. My wife was impressed how that worked. We were worried we would not have seats together.

Main point of post is that at Selma we have about 47 girls scouts leave the train and then we loaded up our car again at the Raleigh stop. By this point the handicapped bathroom in our coach would not stay shut. I offered to hold the door shut for one women. Then we thought the coach attendant had it working again so another women was in there and a third women did not bother to look at the light being on and the door was not really locked. The women in the bathroom was very good-natured about having herself exposed in that manner and the door was shut quickly. This could have been a lot worse situation. Hopefully maintenance was made aware in Charlotte and this sort of repair can be made there.

Last edited:
97/08 JUNE took a major delay due to apparent an ALC traction motor sized. Thought AC traction motors not prone to seizing?? Happened south of Delan station on single portion of track, Wonder if had to replace truck, or wheel set, or what? Delayed 98 and 52 as well.

06/09/24 3:33pm EDT
_ Delay Notification: As of 3:30 PM ET Silver Meteor Train
_ 98 which departed Miami (MIA) on 6/9 is stopped north of
_ Winter Park (WPK) due to disabled Silver Meteor Train 97
_ which departed New York (NYP) on 6/8 ahead. Crews are working
_ to resolve their mechanical issue. We will provide updates
_ as information becomes available.
_
_ 06/09/24 4:46pm EDT
_ Service Update: As of 4:39 PM ET Silver Meteor Train 98
_ which departed Miami (MIA) on 6/9 remains stopped north
_ of Winter Park (WPK) due to disabled Silver Meteor Train
_ 97 which departed New York (NYP) on 6/8 ahead. Crews are
_ working to resolve their mechanical issue. We will provide
_ updates as information becomes available.
_
_ 06/09/24 5:51pm EDT
_ Service Update: As of 5:44 PM ET Silver Meteor Train 98
_ of Winter Park (WPK) while crews work to remove a disabled
_ engine from Silver Meteor Train 97 which departed New York
_ (NYP) on 6/8 ahead. We will provide updates as information
_ becomes available.
_
_ 06/09/24 7:44pm EDT
_ Service Update: As of 7:29 PM ET Silver Meteor Train 98
_ becomes available.
_
_ 06/09/24 9:06pm EDT
_ Service Update: As of 9:02 PM ET Silver Meteor Train 98
_ becomes available.
_
_ 06/09/24 9:39pm EDT
_ Service Update: As of 9:26 PM ET Silver Meteor Train 98
_ which departed Miami (MIA) on 6/9 has advanced into DeLand
_ (DLD) operating approx.6hrs 40mins late.

The disabled train 97 arrived Miami over 11 hours late.

NB on Meteor 6/5 , 2 hrs. late into Fredericksburg. SB 6/13, 1 1/2 hrs. late into DeLand. Advisory was that heat resulted in speed limits. 97 now has 3 sleepers. 9710, 9711 are VL 1, 9712 is VL11. Service is good. Meals are okay though a bit of fresh fruit, toast and cheese would be nice for breakfast vs. eggs, sausage, potatoes, biscuits. Cars were clean. Roadbed in NC is really rough though I saw track work going on in SC.

On the former ACL main line through NC, there are segments of double track where one of the tracks is in better physical condition (and has higher maximum authorized speed) than the other. I haven't been south of Rocky Mount in a while, but some sections of the slower second track were still jointed rail.

NB on Meteor 6/5 , 2 hrs. late into Fredericksburg. SB 6/13, 1 1/2 hrs. late into DeLand. Advisory was that heat resulted in speed limits. 97 now has 3 sleepers. 9710, 9711 are VL 1, 9712 is VL11. Service is good. Meals are okay though a bit of fresh fruit, toast and cheese would be nice for breakfast vs. eggs, sausage, potatoes, biscuits. Cars were clean. Roadbed in NC is really rough though I saw track work going on in SC.
The normal assignment is different than the last time the Meteor had 3 sleepers. The current normal assignment is the 10 car is VL1 and 11 and 12 car are both VL2 but they may be subbed of course in the event of a bad ordered car.

Back