Auto Train discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Book now and if price drops they will give you an adjustment in the form of an e-credit for future travel
Be careful with what choice you initially make. For our trip this upcoming winter we are riding coach, and chose the “flex” option. That allows changes with no penalty.

Last year, after the fare rule changes, there were penalties imposed if changes were made. I tried to make a late change and the cancellation fee was much greater the the savings.

Be careful.

Attachments

• IMG_6288.png
    IMG_6288.png
    1,021.8 KB · Views: 0
I've not taken Amtrak in some years but have taken trains in Europe. In any event, can any of you fill me in on conditions on the Auto Train in summer 2024. I am looking at a round trip in early December. I really don't need a car in D.C., but a Bedroom on the Silver Star out of Tampa round trip leaving on Monday, December 9 and returning on Tuesday, December 17 was $4,144! Auto Train for same dates was $2175. This for "Senior" fares. My wife can't fly right now. I hate I-95, but it looks like a viable alternative. Also, are the windows cleaned at each end? Frankly, if Amtrak had used the "down time" during Covid, they could have repaired and refurbished a lot more cars thereby lowering the price. I can't justify the Silver Star and the Auto Train is a bit steep as well. Am I being unreasonable. I can fly for $1400 first class, if my wife can get the doctor to sign off on it. UGH!

I've not taken Amtrak in some years but have taken trains in Europe. In any event, can any of you fill me in on conditions on the Auto Train in summer 2024. I am looking at a round trip in early December. I really don't need a car in D.C., but a Bedroom on the Silver Star out of Tampa round trip leaving on Monday, December 9 and returning on Tuesday, December 17 was $4,144! Auto Train for same dates was $2175. This for "Senior" fares. My wife can't fly right now. I hate I-95, but it looks like a viable alternative. Also, are the windows cleaned at each end? Frankly, if Amtrak had used the "down time" during Covid, they could have repaired and refurbished a lot more cars thereby lowering the price. I can't justify the Silver Star and the Auto Train is a bit steep as well. Am I being unreasonable. I can fly for $1400 first class, if my wife can get the doctor to sign off on it. UGH!
Unless you need the bathroom in your room, you could also price out 2 roomettes. That way you each have a lower bunk - it can be a better sleeping arrangement than a bedroom. You can call and ask for the roomettes to be across from each other (join guest rewards - it's free, and use their phone service). These may be cheaper. You can also keep looking for price drops after you book. They do happen and then you can call and rebook at the lower price.

Am I being unreasonable.
Only you can decide. As you may have noticed one direction is cheaper than the other. That’s usually the case and we try to take advantage of that. We take AutoTrain in the ‘cheap’ direction, drive the other way. Since we often head to a destination 90minutes west of DC, we prefer taking I 95, 77, 81. It’s maybe an hour longer for us but so much better than 95.

You’re apparently ok with the upper and lower bunks in a bedroom. Why not try a roomette. Beds are about the same and on a short overnight trip we can survive without the toilet/shower. When we do that, we ask for a roomette on the lower level (but not next to the family room). It’s quieter as no one is walking through to the next car and the middle of the night bathroom visit is only a few steps away. Also the shower is much nicer than in the bedroom.

Last edited:
Unless you need the bathroom in your room, you could also price out 2 roomettes. That way you each have a lower bunk - it can be a better sleeping arrangement than a bedroom. You can call and ask for the roomettes to be across from each other (join guest rewards - it's free, and use their phone service). These may be cheaper. You can also keep looking for price drops after you book. They do happen and then you can call and rebook at the lower price.
Thank you!

My elderly mother, elderly aunt, and I have planned an Auto Train trip in May 2025. I booked a bedroom online 2 months ago and booked a roomette for my aunt today. I asked for a room as close to the existing bedroom reservation as possible. I was assured that they would be in the same car, but when I looked at the reservations I find they are in two separate cars - 5241/5242 and 5341/5342. From what I can tell from YouTube videos and other non—Amtrak websites I think these are separated by the lounge and dining cars. I asked a rep in the Amtrak chat and they said that they can’t move either reservation closer because they are already booked up. They also said that the rooms would only be one train car walk away from each other. I think they are mistaken. So I’m asking the experts! Are they correct? Should I just keep trying to get closer room assignments? Thanks in advance!

All the sleeping cars will be connected together in numerical order 41,42 The dining and lounge cars will be in the center separating you from the coach section
Having never ridden the Auto Train, is the numbering scheme similar to that of other long distance trains with the car line numbers ascending based on proximity to the diner? With the 41 car being closer to the diner than the 42 car?

Sorry, the two cars are not adjacent to each other. The diner and lounge are between the 40 (and 42) and 41 cars which have all bedrooms on the upper level. The others are a mix of bedrooms and roomettes on the upper level. All cars have 4 roomettes on the lower level.

So, the 40 car, diner and lounge would be between the two cars you are in. The reservation agent didn’t know what they were talking about. Call customer service and ask for a customer relations rep and complain. I doubt if it’s sold out in early May so they may be able to move you both to a different car although probably farther from the diner.
1725799809128.png

Last edited:
Thank you all and especially Palmland! I was able to get in a chat with a Amtrak rep who knew what they were doing and they were able to move my aunt to a roomette downstairs within our car - and gave her the senior discount ($32 refund!) This will make life so much easier for me. LOL.
Awesome Sauce - glad it worked out.
We are also "Disney Crazy" :)
I'm still holding out for a better rate on our Southbound trip in January🤞

Just for fun, after booking my initial AT reservation I periodically check how much my train ride would be. Thinking that if the rate would go down, I would call Amtrak to adjust the rate. We have taken the train for 3 round trips in the past 3 years and I have never seen the rate go down. One year the rate between when I booked and the day before was almost $800 more round trip! Even when there is a flash sale, it doesn’t affect the bedroom tickets. I would recommend to book it now to lock in the current rate for January. If a sale pops up, call Amtrak for a fee adjustment.

And we have done Disney trips in January. Bring a heavier coat and long pants just in case. One year there was actual ice on the lakes and people were stuck wearing shorts because that’s all they had. Disney made a lot of money in sweatpants and coffee that year. 🤣

Just for fun, after booking my initial AT reservation I periodically check how much my train ride would be. Thinking that if the rate would go down, I would call Amtrak to adjust the rate. We have taken the train for 3 round trips in the past 3 years and I have never seen the rate go down. One year the rate between when I booked and the day before was almost $800 more round trip! Even when there is a flash sale, it doesn’t affect the bedroom tickets. I would recommend to book it now to lock in the current rate for January. If a sale pops up, call Amtrak for a fee adjustment.

And we have done Disney trips in January. Bring a heavier coat and long pants just in case. One year there was actual ice on the lakes and people were stuck wearing shorts because that’s all they had. Disney made a lot of money in sweatpants and coffee that year. 🤣
Thanks for the reply - we have been snow-birding for a few years now, and I just still can't bring myself to pay the SouthBound prices when they are at peak levels. I have caught a deal twice, during Black-Friday sales. We always have a hotel in NC and SC booked, and will drive down if unsuccessful in getting a better price. Northbound has already been booked on points!

Amtrak is advertising " new bedding, linens, pillows and towels". Has this, in fact, happened and are the mattresses any better than the old too hard ones?
Pretty much, they have. Not sure if it's 100% rolled out yet. Bad news is the mattresses haven't changed. Still terribly uncomfortable. What we are still waiting on is the new china and tableware in traditional dining that was highly touted a few years ago.

We usually travel in November, so I haven't looked at Black Friday sales. Is there a history of auto train sales that day? (that would be awesome).
I caught a sale last year, but sometimes there is little-to-no availability for the December dates if you wait that long.
So it's a crap-shoot, but worth checking. My back-up plan is in place but if I find a room on sale, I can easily cancel my NC hotel stay without penalty.
Good Luck!

Back