AutoTrain questions (roomette access, dining, business class)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for everyone's responses so far.

Even with a bedroom, you are not going to be able to sleep three "adults".
I never intended to have more that two people simultaneously sleeping in the roomette. I tried to explain this in my original posting.
The bedroom is a different accomodation and larger than the Roomette, but as stated, still won't sleep three people. The Family Bedroom would sleep up to four, but that isn't an option in your case, because two of the bunks are child sized (for a small child at that).

The best advice I've seen so far is to price out two Roomettes compared to three coach seats. In either case you will all be together in one section of the train or the other. You absolutely can make this work without scrapping the whole idea, but it might cost a bit more for the two Roomettes.
Yes you can get three in a bedroom. I do it all the time. Two will have to share the lower and one on top. You can only book three in a bedroom by calling in. It might be a better value to get all three in one bedroom. Meals are included for the third at no additional charge. Per amtrak.com "Our Superliner Bedroom is ideal for two passengers, but can accommodate three (two passengers must share the lower berth). Call 1-800-USA-RAIL for help reserving the Superliner Bedroom for three passengers."

I never intended to have more that two people simultaneously sleeping in the roomette. I tried to explain this in my original posting.
The bedroom is a different accomodation and larger than the Roomette, but as stated, still won't sleep three people. The Family Bedroom would sleep up to four, but that isn't an option in your case, because two of the bunks are child sized (for a small child at that).

The best advice I've seen so far is to price out two Roomettes compared to three coach seats. In either case you will all be together in one section of the train or the other. You absolutely can make this work without scrapping the whole idea, but it might cost a bit more for the two Roomettes.
Yes you can get three in a bedroom. I do it all the time. Two will have to share the lower and one on top. You can only book three in a bedroom by calling in. It might be a better value to get all three in one bedroom. Meals are included for the third at no additional charge. Per amtrak.com "Our Superliner Bedroom is ideal for two passengers, but can accommodate three (two passengers must share the lower berth). Call 1-800-USA-RAIL for help reserving the Superliner Bedroom for three passengers."
When you're a "man given to appetite", well...you need that whole lower berth for yourself! :)

Yes, two more normal sized people could share well enough, but I'm reluctant to suggest that to first time passengers who often don't fully appreciate the small size of passenger train sleeper accommodations.

When you're a "man given to appetite", well...you need that whole lower berth for yourself! :)

Yes, two more normal sized people could share well enough, but I'm reluctant to suggest that to first time passengers who often don't fully appreciate the small size of passenger train sleeper accommodations.
I'm pointing out what could make it more economical not comfortable. ;)

Since the OP said, and repeated, that the current discussion is not considering having three people sleeping at the same time, I mention this for benefit of others.

The lower bunk in a bedroom is about the size of a twin bed. I don't doubt that two young and affectionate adults could share it, but I think the "and" is key.

What about upgrading to a bedroom and going with an open ticket. Is an open ticket allowed on the auto train. That could get you three in the room. If I'm right. But I would defer to tom for that question.
No open tickets on the Auto Train. Onboard upgrades would be at maximum price because the crew is required to do it that way. By the time the train gets underway, the sleeper accommodations are often entirely full anyway.

Tom

I'm the original poster. Thanks to everyone who has responded.

First let me admit that I misinterpreted OBS above. I thought he was talking about a roomette but was in fact talking about a bedroom (what the web site displays as a "superliner bedroom"). Sorry about that.

Second, if all three of us could eat together in one of the coach dining cars, I think that would be fine with us. So maybe this plan could work.

But I've priced out some other plans. [For (d) through (f) I had to call 800-SKIPI95 because the web site won't let me put 3 passengers in a room.]

a) 2 in a roomette, 1 in coach, 1 automobile (as currently held) $652

b) 2 in a roomette, 1 in coach, 1 automobile (if new reservation were made today) $675

c) 3 in coach, 1 automobile $596

d) 3 in two roomettes, 1 automobile $964

e) 3 in a superliner bedroom, 1 automobile $850

f) 3 in a family bedroom, 1 automobile $1042

g) 3 in a family bedroom, 1 automobile (but travelling one day later) $788

Oddly enough, 3 in a superliner bedroom travelling one day later is $1003, which more expensive than the family bedroom. I don't understand it but that's ok, I don't need to.

I think the promising options are (a), ©, (g), and the unlettered option where one of us flies home and the other two take the roomette ($557+airfare).

Not only does option (e) cost more, but someone said that a superliner bedroom might be too tight for two adults (of appetite) and a teen. I was guessing one in each bed and one in the armchair, but is that not how it works?

I presume that family bedroom would work for us, since the web site pictures it with four beds, but again I'm just guessing. Can anyone confirm? (The web site won't let me book three passengers in a family bedroom. Perhaps they have their reasons.)

From what people are saying, option (a) is risky. Maybe we could all eat together in coach dining, but no guarantees. Maybe the coach passenger could visit the other two in the roomette, if we talk to and/or tip the sleeping car attendant, but no guarantees. Swapping the sleeping location of the coach passenger with one of the roomette passengers seems dubious.

Last edited by a moderator:
When the beds are in place for sleeping, the armchair is folded out of the way, so it would not be available.

Nice idea, but it won't work.

Also, the traveler is correct about the two child beds in the family room. They are intended for short people.

I'm inclined to recommend option a. You would have to decide whether it's worthwhile to upgrade that coach reservation to the new business class.

Tom

While the family room does in fact have 4 berths (beds), only 2 are "adult sized". The remaining 2 are less than 5 feet long!
How much shorter than 5'? One of the adults stands 5'2" and sometimes sleeps with bent knee.

I'm inclined to recommend option a. You would have to decide whether it's worthwhile to upgrade that coach reservation to the new business class.
Interesting. I thought people were trying to talk me out of option (a).

Most of us are, it's a terrible plan.

I'd go with e, 3 in a bedroom is eminently doable.

If two of you aren't comfortable sharing the lower (my wife and I do, and the folks here that have met me will confirm I'm not a small guy), than you and always just drop the upper, one lucky person gets the bed while the other two sleep sitting on the couch.

I'll defer to Tom's greater experience onboard, but I'm pretty sure I remember sitting in the folding chair with the bed down before. It's tight (like "sit in the chair and put your feet on the bed because they can't get to the floor"), but doable.

While the family room does in fact have 4 berths (beds), only 2 are "adult sized". The remaining 2 are less than 5 feet long!
How much shorter than 5'? One of the adults stands 5'2" and sometimes sleeps with bent knee.
The two child sized berths in the Family Bedroom are only 4 feet 9 inches long for the lower and 4 feet 7 inches for the upper.

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Accommodation_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1237748591390

I think I'd suggest options C or E. Coach is doable for one night.

I'd put my vote in for the family bedroom as well. I'd prefer sleeping with knees scrunched on a kids bed to sleeping in coach. And that day-later price is pretty good. Of course at this point it's all personal preference!

The child's lower berth (i.e., the short one) in a family bedroom is listed as 2'3" by 4'9". A person who is over 5' tall would have to sleep with knees pulled up in order to be comfortable. Some folks might be fine with that, but I hesitate to recommend it for most people. If it will work for you, then option G may be workable.

In a bedroom or a family room, the adult beds are 3'4" by 6'3" (lower) and 2'4" by 6'2" (upper). Usually, the folding chair in the bedroom must be folded out of the way in order to place the ladder to the upper berth. You CAN have both the ladder and the chair in place at the same time, but there will be no place for your feet & legs. With the ladder in place, the chair could only be used as a place to store luggage

In a roomette, the beds are 2'4" by 6'6" (lower) and 2'0" by 6'2" (upper).

I recommended A because of the price ($652), since you have said that's an important consideration. Option C would be even cheaper ($596).

G is the next best option in terms of price ($788). It would give everybody a bed, but that child size bed might be a problem.

E is more expensive ($850), but would be practical if two of you can share the lower berth.

D would be the most comfortable; but the price ($964) is probably prohibitive.

Tom

(edited 10:58 am EDT)

The upper and lower adult beds in the family bedroom are the same size as those in the upstairs bedrooms, so if you choose option G and find that the child-size bed is not suitable you're still no worse off than if you'd chosen the regular bedroom...actually, you're a bit better off, because the child berth adjoins the adult berth and you could sleep head-to-foot with an additional two feet of space. If you had planned to sleep sitting up in the Bedroom you could probably still do so in the child's berth. But if one of your party is only 5' 2" and regularly sleeps with bent knees I think he/she could make do in one of the child's berths for one night. You can book three adults in the family bedroom, but you will have to call in to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back