Boston stations questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasnt that long ago that Amtrak pulled its service reps from BBY because the air-quality was usually at "dangerous levels", and the MBTA stating that it was too expensive to fix.
When was that? Amtrak.com still lists hours for the agents at BBY, 5am to 7:10pm weekdays,6am to 7:10pm Sat & Sun.
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=10136#p1296495
And if you go to page #2 of that topic that you linked to, you'll see that the agents have returned.

So while it does appear that there was a period of time where there were no agents; it would seem that Amtrak has indeed restored agents to BBY.

It wasnt that long ago that Amtrak pulled its service reps from BBY because the air-quality was usually at "dangerous levels", and the MBTA stating that it was too expensive to fix.
When was that? Amtrak.com still lists hours for the agents at BBY, 5am to 7:10pm weekdays,6am to 7:10pm Sat & Sun.
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=10136#p1296495
And if you go to page #2 of that topic that you linked to, you'll see that the agents have returned.

So while it does appear that there was a period of time where there were no agents; it would seem that Amtrak has indeed restored agents to BBY.
I don't believe I said otherwise.

There is a ventilation problem at Back Bay, to the point where very large fans have been installed on the platform to suck out the diesel fumes. I have never seen vagrants or trash at the station. One problem is that it's not ADA friendly, IINM. I say that because there is no elevator to get up to the station.

BBY platform is dark, trash-strewn, grafitti-covered, low-level with a mini-high (because, huh, what, they thought they were gonna run freight there when they built it? I don't think they ever did), and has rats, and homeless people living in dark areas between the tracks. It *badly* needs to be replaced and spruced up.
Perhaps the platform for tracks #5 & #7, the two tracks that go to Worcester and beyond, are low level; I can't really say since I've never gone down there.
I thought I explained that, but apparently my edit didn't stick. Yes, it's the Worcester / Albany platform which is mostly low level and seriously intimidating. The NEC platforms are much friendlier; merely dark.
MBTA definitely needs to upgrade the Worcester line platform at BBY. I have no idea what they were thinking when it was built.

All the platforms *do* have elevators, and the Worcester line is even accessible by a ramp to the one-car-long mini-high.

Last edited by a moderator:
​​​Definitely did not see those elevators; but I wasn't looking for them, either. I was thinking of how complicated it would be to get a Charlie Card to make the transfer over to North Station on the Orange Line. [bTW, I went the wrong way on the subway, had to get off at the first stop and reverse direction.] ;)

OK, after reading all these posts, let me put in my 2 cents on the Boston stations, and I write this as a current resident of Boston, who uses transit everyday.

Back Bay Station is a modern era building that is more spartan in design, but functions well.

You have a staffed Amtrak ticket window (it was closed for a brief time earlier this year), and a decent sized waiting room.

BBY has an Orange Line station as part of it and that allows for a direct connection to North Station, and the Blue Line for service to Logan Airport.

BBY is close to the Hynes Convention Center, many hotels, Copley Square, and the Newbury Street/Prudential Center/Copley Place retail district.

BBY has some basic shops including Dunkin Dounuts, and a great burger joint, Tasty Burger, that opened this past summer.

South Station is the historic "main" station that was rebuilt in the 1980's and is one of Amtrak's best (if not the best) big city stations.

BOS has a Club Acela, staffed ticket office, red cap service, and a checked baggage room, albeit you only have 2 trains that offer baggage service,

the Lake Shore Limited, and the last NEC train of the day, that used to be known as the Night Owl. You can also check baggage for the day there.

BOS is close to the rapidly growing Seaport District, home to the huge Boston Convention Center, and a number of hotels.

BOS is at the foot of the downtown crossing/financial district/chinatown/leather stocking areas, that are fast becoming as residential as they are business elated.

BOS has a Red Line station within it, and Silver Line service to the Seaport area, and Logan Airport (although I recommend the Blue Line for Logan).

BOS has many retail and dining options.

Route 128 Station, planned by the former New Haven Railroad, as a park and ride lot station, is now home to the rapidly growing "edge" city, and does offer

close proximity to budget hotels, popular in the same vein as the Braintree Red Line station that offers a number of modest priced chain hotels.

As for hotels, any hotel within the HUB can be pricey, book early.

The HUB refers to greater central Boston (back bay, copley, downtown, etc).

Most of all enjoy your visit, Boston has one of the fastest growing populations of major US cities, and has much to offer.

Ken

I'm not a resident of Boston, but I'll vote for it as a great place to visit, with excellent transportation, and I actually found it an ecellent place to see quite a number of things on foot.

​​​Definitely did not see those elevators; but I wasn't looking for them, either. I was thinking of how complicated it would be to get a Charlie Card to make the transfer over to North Station on the Orange Line. [bTW, I went the wrong way on the subway, had to get off at the first stop and reverse direction.] ;)
Up the elevator, walk to the ticket desk, ask for a CharlieCard, pay $5, get a CharlieCard with $5 in credit on it. This is enough for two subway trips. In through the fare gate to the Orange Line. Get out at North Station, up the escalator or elevator, cross the street, enter North Station, up the ramp or stairs, turn right, you're at the Big Board, walk through to the platform when a track is announced on it. Did it a month or two ago.

Sorry to hear you went the wrong way on the Orange Line. The signs for that *are* a little bit confusing; I had to keep reminding myself which end of the line was "north". I wish they just said "northbound" and "southbound", frankly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back