Business class on Northeast Corridor trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just booked 2 return bus class tickets from Phl to Was in May to explore the Smithsonian Museums for the day.

Can anyone tell me what to expect on these trains?

Do we get reserved assigned seats or any drinks included in the ticket price?

Are we entitled to Lounge access at either end.

Amtrak says to arrive 30 mins prior to departure but as we have carry on day packs and E-tickets should we allow more time than this?

Any help for a curious English visitor would be greatly appreciated! :rolleyes:

I would arrive 30 minutes before departure as Amtrak advises.

There are no assigned seats in Business Class, but as you are

boarding in Philadelphia, it is likely other passengers from

stations north of PHL will already be on the train. You are

not entitled to use the lounge, except if you are Select Plus,

and you are entitled to a non-alcoholic drink.

Have a good trip and enjoy the Smithsonian.

For business class on the regional trains, you do NOT have access to the Club Acela. Those are only for Select+ members of Amtrak Guest Rewards or those traveling in a sleeper or first class on the Acela.

You will find that the BC cars on the regional trains have more legroom and foot rests. You will be entitled to a free, non-alcoholic beverage in the cafe car and a complimentary newspaper.

Business class on the regional trains is just a small step up from coach. As amamba has stated, the seats are a bit more comfortable, they have a food tray that comes down in front, curtains on the windows, I believe outlets for PCS devices/laptops and they are sometimes less crowded than the coach cars. Business class is OK but the PHL to WAS trip is only about 2 hours. It is worth the additional cost for some but not for others. You decide.

Hi,

Greetings from the UK:

Just to clarify the "reserved seats" issue... Amtrak will sell just the amount of seats available on reserved seating trains, so although you will have an undesignated place to sit, it may be that two friends boarding together may have to sit apart.

American train seats are like roomy armchairs, compared to UK train seats. You are mostly paying for slightly better seats, and the chance to be apart from those with less money to spend, by travelling in business class.

Have a great time,

Ed :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Regional business class passengers can have as many non-alcoholic drinks as they want, until the inventory of free drinks runs out. There is no one-drink limit. You can even ask for a couple at a time if you wish, since the lines can be long.

Regional business class passengers can have as many non-alcoholic drinks as they want, until the inventory of free drinks runs out. There is no one-drink limit. You can even ask for a couple at a time if you wish, since the lines can be long.

Actually something I didn't know. Thanks for sharing!

Obviously this is at the LSA's discretion - if you are walking away with 12 Pepsi cans in an hour, they might cut you off out of fairness to others... :)

I rode Business Class in a Regional from WAS to NYP this past May. The atmosphere was a bit more sedate than in the regular coaches (I accompanied my mother, niece and nephew in regular coach from WAS until they detrained at BWI to catch a flight), but it is definitely not the "Quiet Car". A mother in the next seat over was reading "How To Train Your Dragon" to her kids...but I had an iPod and earphones. As others have said, complimentary non-alcoholic beverages throughout the trip while they last. All in all I was happy with the experience.

Just booked 2 return bus class tickets from Phl to Was in May to explore the Smithsonian Museums for the day.

Can anyone tell me what to expect on these trains?

Do we get reserved assigned seats or any drinks included in the ticket price?

Are we entitled to Lounge access at either end.

Amtrak says to arrive 30 mins prior to departure but as we have carry on day packs and E-tickets should we allow more time than this?

Any help for a curious English visitor would be greatly appreciated! :rolleyes:
One day for the Smithisonian is not near enough. A week would be more like it.

Don't know why they are saying 30 minutes ahead. Would think any time that enables you to get to the door of the car before it closes sould be sufficient.

You did not mention whether you are booked in Business Class on a "Northeast Regional" train or on an Acela Express.

All the answers thus far are relevant to the "Northeast Regional". The one thing that can be guaranteed about Business Class on these trains is that nothing is guaranteed. That free 8oz soda? Maybe not available. You may get free coffee via cart service. You may not. There may be a newspaper available. There may not. You may have a pleasant coach attendant. You may not. You may get 2-1 faux leather seating with the cafe/lounge making up the other half of the coach. You may not (2x2 seating all the way down). Other ameneties mentioned are not exclusive to Business Class (ie: curtains, AC power, tray tables) unless I'm missing something from not travelling the NEC on a regional.

You will see that the cost of Business Class is not very much more than the cost of the regular ticket. The value is generally about 1/2 the upgrade cost.

Now, if you are talking about Business Class on the Acela Express, you will more likely receive the stated benefits AND you will arrive at your destination 15 minutes quicker than the Northeast Regional. All for only around $65 more than Business Class on the Northeast Regional.

Note: To upgrade to Business Class on the Regional is around $25 for your trip. Acela Express adds another $60 or so on top of that. First Class on the Acela Express adds another $80 to that. So for the purposes of touring the US, I would recommend Business Class round trip - one way on the regional, one way on the Acela to get a full appreciation of our offerings. Then I would be very interested in your foreign observation of our services compared to your domestic service.

Note 2: The pricing and train timing can be very finiky. Prices between the two level of Business Class services can be as little as $10 and as much as $80. Travel time, likewise, can vary between 15 minutes and 45 minutes. It'll just take a lot of research to find the best value for your travel plans on the Amtrak.com website.

No curtains in an Amfleet I coach.

The 2-1 BC seating is generally only found on predictable schedules which aren't marketed as Northeast Regional service. Example - the Vermonter. Exception - Trains 66 & 67 (the overnight trains) have 2-1 BC seating.

No cart service on a Northeast Regional, because there's only one LSA and he/she is standing behind the counter in the cafe car. Occasionally you'll see a cart on certain Acela departures.

Don't know why they are saying 30 minutes ahead. Would think any time that enables you to get to the door of the car before it closes sould be sufficient.
OK, how far before train departure do you suggest to get dropped off in front of WAS Union Station?

Honestly, if I planned for less than 30 minutes, I would be a nervous wreck (no time allowed for potential delays/problems).

The 2-1 BC seating is generally only found on predictable schedules which aren't marketed as Northeast Regional service. Example - the Vermonter. Exception - Trains 66 & 67 (the overnight trains) have 2-1 BC seating.

No cart service on a Northeast Regional, because there's only one LSA and he/she is standing behind the counter in the cafe car. Occasionally you'll see a cart on certain Acela departures.
Thanks. Does the Pennsylvanian have the 2-1 BC seating?

The last time I took that train is was 2-1 BC, but I thought

someone posted that that car disappeared.

The Pennsylvanian now has a 81xxx Amfleet I BC. Occasionally an 25xxx Amfleet II subs as BC on the Pennsylvanian.

The Pennsylvanian now has a 81xxx Amfleet I BC. Occasionally an 25xxx Amfleet II subs as BC on the Pennsylvanian.
As an FYI, the Club-Dinette cars that have the 2-1 seating are all 48xxx. So in other words, the Pennsy does not see the nice 2 & 1 BC seating anymore. :(

One place you consistently see the 2x1 club/cafe seating in BC (albeit not a Northeast Regional) is on the Wolverine (and I believe the other Michigan Service trains get it as well). I think some of the other Chicago hub corridors may use the 2x1 BC as well.

Also, the one single-level consist used on the Pacific Surfliners (which I happened to be on yesterday night) also has the 2x1 BC seating.

Well, that's no good, considering that the Pennsy already gets Amfleet II Coach sold as Coach, so BC is virtually no upgrade. I don't care much for drinks.

Wonder where those cars went. Not on the Palmetto any more...
I'm wondering, too. I really hope they will be put back on the longer day trains instead of short corridor trains.

Well, that's no good, considering that the Pennsy already gets Amfleet II Coach sold as Coach, so BC is virtually no upgrade. I don't care much for drinks.

I'm wondering, too. I really hope they will be put back on the longer day trains instead of short corridor trains.
In wondering where they went, I don't wonder why they were pulled from the Palmetto. Strictly a revenue issue, IMHO. IF they were selling out of BC on the Palmetto, an Amfleet II would triple the available BC tickets to sell.

So travel by Coach. :) No one is forcing anyone to travel by BC.

As long as demand is higher than the number of seats available in the 2-1 BCs there is no justification for bringing them back and leaving money on the table.

Yes it would be nice if all BCs could be better differentiated, but acquiring new seats to achieve that also costs money which currently is a bit short in supply.

Yes it would be nice if all BCs could be better differentiated, but acquiring new seats to achieve that also costs money which currently is a bit short in supply.
They should ALL be Amfleet IIs with 2x1 faux leather seating from nose to tail.

Hi,

Greetings from the UK:

Just to clarify the "reserved seats" issue... Amtrak will sell just the amount of seats available on reserved seating trains, so although you will have an undesignated place to sit, it may be that two friends boarding together may have to sit apart.

American train seats are like roomy armchairs, compared to UK train seats. You are mostly paying for slightly better seats, and the chance to be apart from those with less money to spend, by travelling in business class.

Have a great time,

Ed :cool:
Thanks Ed.

It sounds like the old SIlver standard service that BR used to have before Virgin got the franchise on our route. Not sure if we can qulaify for Amtrak Guest rewards as we're in the UK but should be less cramped than coach. Sounds like the same length of time it takes to get from Macclesfield to Euston so definately glad we're upgrading.

Chose Northeast Regional so we can experience as many types of train as possible on this trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back