Buying sleeper onboard....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tumbleweed

OBS Chief
When you are able to buy a sleeper accommodation after boarding, do you get it at the lowest bucket price? We have coach reservations on th CS MTZ-SEA in September....if I can get a sleeper at low bucket, I'd be interested.....I will be watching amsnag also....

If I were in your position, I'd book the sleeper now. It's at a decent bucket. Bedrooms are soldout, but roomettes are at $371 a piece. Keep in mind some conductors are just too lazy to do the paperwork!

Amsnag is showing as low as $167.00 in October...I'm hoping to snag one at that price..... :p
Your only chance would be if someone who booked at that fare cancels AND you call or check at the right time! Do you need to really travel that day?
huh.gif
Perhaps another day it is that rate! (Maybe even the day before or after your planned travel date!
cool.gif
)

It's a crapshot. I was able to stay in my sleeper when my train was delayed (for cost, mind you, but they gave me a low bucket), but that was more of an "accommodating" purchase, so to speak.

It's a crapshot. I was able to stay in my sleeper when my train was delayed (for cost, mind you, but they gave me a low bucket), but that was more of an "accommodating" purchase, so to speak.
I'm confused!
blink.gif

You do not purchase a sleeper for say 2 PM to 7AM. You purchase the sleeper from say CHI-DEN. Even if it is hours late, and does not arrive into DEN until 5 PM, the room is your's until DEN. They do not kick you out at 7 AM! So why did you have to pay extra when your train was delayed?
huh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused!
blink.gif

You do not purchase a sleeper for say 2 PM to 7AM. You purchase the sleeper from say CHI-DEN. Even if it is hours late, and does not arrive into DEN until 5 PM, the room is your's until DEN. They do not kick you out at 7 AM! So why did you have to pay extra when your train was delayed?
huh.gif
Fair question. Here's what happened (and you guessed wrong on my train, too, btw):

-Sleeper, AGR, CHI-ABQ

-Coach, cash, ABQ-FLG

The Coach part was supposed to be four hours mid-evening (about 4:30-9:00). Inexpensive; not ideal, but workable (even if we were two hours behind, I don't mind staying up that late. Then we hit the delays (which kept building), and as I explained to the staff about 4 PM, "Look, I'm happy to pay for the upgrade here, but I really don't want to be leaving my room at 10 PM for five or six hours of trying to sleep in coach." The conductor got on the phone with customer service to check the rate and I got to stay in for a low bucket (far less than if I'd purchased it over the phone, with how buckets were going).

In my experience the conductors rarely if ever sell any compartments on-board. They always tell me that no rooms of any type are ever available, regardless of what the reservations desk says or Amtrak.com shows. If you calmly and kindly point out any discrepancy and ask them to double-check on any potential vacancies you'll never see or hear from them again. I understand that some folks have managed to purchase a room on-board, but I've never been successful on the routes I travel, nor have any of the other folks I've seen inquire with conductors ever been successful either. So far as I am concerned this option is mostly theoretical at this point since the conductors simply refuse to take your inquiry seriously. I guess if you really make a big scene then maybe they'd budge, but on the other hand they might just kick you off the train. Maybe a call into Amtrak is in order to see what they suggest be done when the conductor ignores your request?

I know many on this board have had success with an on-board upgrade, Sometimes the conductor does not want to do the necessary paperwork. But the conductors do switch every 6-8 hours, so if one says no, what's to say the next one will say no also - until you ask?
huh.gif
Besides, they are just withholding revenue from Amtrak!

In my experience the conductors rarely if ever sell any compartments on-board. They always tell me that no rooms of any type are ever available, regardless of what the reservations desk says or Amtrak.com shows. If you calmly and kindly point out any discrepancy and ask them to double-check on any potential vacancies you'll never see or hear from them again. I understand that some folks have managed to purchase a room on-board, but I've never been successful on the routes I travel, nor have any of the other folks I've seen inquire with conductors ever been successful either. So far as I am concerned this option is mostly theoretical at this point since the conductors simply refuse to take your inquiry seriously. I guess if you really make a big scene then maybe they'd budge, but on the other hand they might just kick you off the train. Maybe a call into Amtrak is in order to see what they suggest be done when the conductor ignores your request?
How odd. I've never been unsuccessful in seeking an onboard upgrade to sleeper - 4 or 5 times - unless you count the time the conductor said I had to wait a couple stops before a room became available (which I don't).

I've never tried it but apparently onboard upgrades sometimes happen If you are lucky enough to get a bedroom or roomette this way it will be at low bucket but not necessarily at a low price. While there always seems to be some room in the sleepers on the trains that we have ridden on, you'd got to take into consideration that people board the LD routes all along the way so its hard to tell what is reserved and waht is open. If you go with the trend, the sleepers are sold out much of the time. If you book way in advance (months out)your chances of buying a room or roomette in a sleeper are much better. When you board your train, ask and see what results.

Besides, they are just withholding revenue from Amtrak!
That's how I see it as well, but maybe they figure that if they refuse coach passengers will simply give up and buy a room at double or triple the lowest bucket next time?

How odd. I've never been unsuccessful in seeking an onboard upgrade to sleeper - 4 or 5 times - unless you count the time the conductor said I had to wait a couple stops before a room became available (which I don't).
Maybe I'm just not doing the special handshake properly. :lol:

If I were in your position, I'd book the sleeper now. It's at a decent bucket. Bedrooms are soldout, but roomettes are at $371 a piece. Keep in mind some conductors are just too lazy to do the paperwork!
Honestly: calling Conductors "lazy" is a little insulting. I would say selling an onboard sleeper upgrade to someone who is too cheap to buy one in advance is LOW on the priority list, somewhere behind Train Safety and Eating Popcorn.

Hey, if the onboard upgrade thing is your gig, sorry to insult ... but I would never expect a Conductor to drop everything to serve that request.....

Do they still have that $50 or $75 on-board upgrade fee?
Yes, the on-board upgrade fare is the difference between what you paid and the low bucket sleeper far, If it under a $50 difference, you are still charged IIRC $50.

Although rare, you could have bought a high bucket coach ticket for say $150. When you board, you find a roomette is available, and the low bucket fare is $140! They will not refund the $10 difference, but you will have to pay the minimum upgrade fee!

Honestly: calling Conductors "lazy" is a little insulting. I would say selling an onboard sleeper upgrade to someone who is too cheap to buy one in advance is LOW on the priority list, somewhere behind Train Safety and Eating Popcorn. Hey, if the onboard upgrade thing is your gig, sorry to insult ... but I would never expect a Conductor to drop everything to serve that request.
I generally try to avoid booking coach these days but occasionally all the roomettes are sold out on the days I can travel and the next cheapest bedroom is around $500 or more for what amounts to a day trip for one person. On those sorts of occasions I have sometimes chosen to ride in coach class and then attempted to upgrade on-board. Out of my half-dozen attempts so far it has always failed. I've also tried asking more than one conductor on the same train and received the same canned auto-response. If I'm talking to a brand new conductor from some random seat in the lounge car then how exactly does he even know where I'm going in order to give me an instant auto-answer about sleeper availability? If I then kindly explain that Amtrak.com is still showing multiple bedrooms available to my specific destination why can't he call it in at some point to double-check? I'm not expecting the conductor to immediately drop everything and secure me a room. I'm merely expecting him to follow his own employer's published policies. If it takes a while for him to get done with whatever he's doing and check on inventory before getting back to me that's perfectly fine. If any of this sounds like an especially "cheap" or unreasonable position then I'd like to know why you think so.

Honestly: calling Conductors "lazy" is a little insulting. I would say selling an onboard sleeper upgrade to someone who is too cheap to buy one in advance is LOW on the priority list, somewhere behind Train Safety and Eating Popcorn.

Hey, if the onboard upgrade thing is your gig, sorry to insult ... but I would never expect a Conductor to drop everything to serve that request.....
One of the conductor's duties is Revenue Management. They are responsible for ensuring that everyone on the train has paid and has a valid ticket, as well as trying to maximize revenue for Amtrak. So it technically is their job to promote selling those empty rooms, if they exist.

As for safety, that's why there is always a conductor and an assistant conductor. One can be worrying about safety while the other takes the 10 minutes or so that's needed to deal with an upgrade.

In my mind, a conductor telling someone 3 minutes out of LA for example on the CS that they'll get back to the passenger is acceptable, since they need to finish collecting tickets, before calling in to check on the upgrade. But he/she should be back with the info within a half hour. A conductor dealing with someone boarding in Simi Valley should be back very quickly with the info and ready to do the paperwork.

I asked to change bedrooms last week on the CS, and it took the conductor about an hour to get back to me. However, he did get back to me after about an hour and even came and found me in the PPC to let me know what room/car I could switch to. Now, I don't know if it was easier than an upgrade because it didn't require any paperwork, but the conductor was very nice, friendly and accommodating.

I too have found them less than responsive the couple of times I asked. Now I always make sure I have a room booked ahead of time. Although when I went round trip cross country last year I remember hearing announcements a couple of times throughout the train that rooms were available for purchase and to see the conductor.

Is it cheaper to buy a sleeper onboard? A roomette for my trip is showing at $269 extra on the Amtrak website which I just can't justify. Would I be able to buy it for much less on the train, assuming that they have room and I can get the conductor to sell me one? I am on the Coast Starlight from SFO to SEA.

Is it cheaper to buy a sleeper onboard? A roomette for my trip is showing at $269 extra on the Amtrak website which I just can't justify. Would I be able to buy it for much less on the train, assuming that they have room and I can get the conductor to sell me one? I am on the Coast Starlight from SFO to SEA.
That sounds like the price is currently at the middle bucket, low bucket would be $169 for a roomette. That's before adding on the railfare.

So if a sleeper is still available when you board, and the conductor is willing to sell it, it would cost you $169 onboard the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back