Fare Buckets discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest sleeper consists on Superliner trains these days are 2 standard sleepers and transdorm. That means a capacity of about 30-34 roomettes, depending how many are released for sale in the transdorm, 10 bedrooms, 2 family rooms and 2 accessible rooms on each departure at most. Not all trains have that many. The biggest Viewliner consists are 3 sleepers. They apparently only sell 10 of the 12 roomettes in each car, so that means 30 roomettes, 6 bedrooms and 3 accessible rooms. Again, not all trains have that many sleepers.

The supply, as you can see, is highly constrained. It really does not take all that much demand to fill it. Rationing a scarce luxury commodity, which a sleeper room is, despite maintenence and service issues we all know about, is done by price in market economies. Amtrak is merely leveraging the advantage control of a scarce supply gives it, as any rationally run organization would do. The intelligence and rationality of Amtrak executive management is often questionable, but here they are making perfectly rational pricing decisions.

Many here argue sleepers are a poor value proposition, that First Class airfares and cruise cabins are often cheaper. I agree that sleepers at best are a poor value proposition, even at lower buckets. At high buckets they are a downright terrible value proposition. However, value proposition is not what determines pricing decisions, supply and demand does and at that point it is pretty much math. As long as there are enough new riders who want to try out train travel but do not understand what they may be getting themselves into, and enough veteran riders who do but go anyway, to fill that highly limited inventory, pricing will remain high. That will hold until either Amtrak degrades so much it manages to drive off its limited sleeper clientele or increases capacity.

We all can and do make our own purchasing decisions just as Amtrak makes its own pricing decisions. A sleeper room is very much a discretionary "luxury" purchase. No one is entitled to one any more than one is entitled to a lie-flat First Class airline seat. For myself, I won't purchase in higher buckets (or get bedrooms). That is where tools such as railsforless.us and @niemi24s' invaluable bucket charts come in, as well as observing yield management pricing patterns for trains I ride most frequently. Those tools help enable me to ride at a price I am willing to tolerate, which in no way should be conflated with "cheap".

Bottom line, we are observing an iron law of economics in action. You can mourn it all you like, but you cannot change it any more than King Canute could hold back the tide.
A great Viking. And one of the places he tried was Bosham. But he soon learned it was futile. lol.

The biggest sleeper consists on Superliner trains these days are 2 standard sleepers and transdorm. That means a capacity of about 30-34 roomettes, depending how many are released for sale in the transdorm, 10 bedrooms, 2 family rooms and 2 accessible rooms on each departure at most. Not all trains have that many. The biggest Viewliner consists are 3 sleepers. They apparently only sell 10 of the 12 roomettes in each car, so that means 30 roomettes, 6 bedrooms and 3 accessible rooms. Again, not all trains have that many sleepers.

The supply, as you can see, is highly constrained. It really does not take all that much demand to fill it. Rationing a scarce luxury commodity, which a sleeper room is, despite maintenence and service issues we all know about, is done by price in market economies. Amtrak is merely leveraging the advantage control of a scarce supply gives it, as any rationally run organization would do. The intelligence and rationality of Amtrak executive management is often questionable, but here they are making perfectly rational pricing decisions.

Many here argue sleepers are a poor value proposition, that First Class airfares and cruise cabins are often cheaper. I agree that sleepers at best are a poor value proposition, even at lower buckets. At high buckets they are a downright terrible value proposition. However, value proposition is not what determines pricing decisions, supply and demand does and at that point it is pretty much math. As long as there are enough new riders who want to try out train travel but do not understand what they may be getting themselves into, and enough veteran riders who do but go anyway, to fill that highly limited inventory, pricing will remain high. That will hold until either Amtrak degrades so much it manages to drive off its limited sleeper clientele or increases capacity.

We all can and do make our own purchasing decisions just as Amtrak makes its own pricing decisions. A sleeper room is very much a discretionary "luxury" purchase. No one is entitled to one any more than one is entitled to a lie-flat First Class airline seat. For myself, I won't purchase in higher buckets (or get bedrooms). That is where tools such as railsforless.us and @niemi24s' invaluable bucket charts come in, as well as observing yield management pricing patterns for trains I ride most frequently. Those tools help enable me to ride at a price I am willing to tolerate, which in no way should be conflated with "cheap".

Bottom line, we are observing an iron law of economics in action. You can mourn it all you like, but you cannot change it any more than King Canute could hold back the tide.
Please consider another group of consumers who want to take the train but don't want to pay the exorbitant price for a roomette, etc. As a trial, why not have one car of a train be only for one passenger buying two adjacent coach seats and have that one passenger pay double fare ( still cheaper than a roomette.) This way if the train is an overnight one, that person can at least spread out. Might this be a compromise? Amtrak sells two seats for one person...the person gets less privacy than a roomette but more privacy than the standard one coach seat per person. Hasn't its time come? At least can't Amtrak try this out?

Please consider another group of consumers who want to take the train but don't want to pay the exorbitant price for a roomette, etc. As a trial, why not have one car of a train be only for one passenger buying two adjacent coach seats and have that one passenger pay double fare ( still cheaper than a roomette.) This way if the train is an overnight one, that person can at least spread out. Might this be a compromise? Amtrak sells two seats for one person...the person gets less privacy than a roomette but more privacy than the standard one coach seat per person. Hasn't its time come? At least can't Amtrak try this out?
They could do that if only they'd start assigning seats when reservations were made (which they ought to do anyway. Their railroad predecessors managed it). Otherwise conductors would not enforce it and allow someone to take "your" other seat. Another restraint is they do not have enough coaches, either. The Seattle section of the Builder lost its badly needed second coach again in the middle of the summer, for example.

But yes, selling double coach seats would be cheaper, though coach seats are yield managed, too, and subject to the same economic laws. Allowing purchase of two coach seats per person would tend to raise average coach fares as it increases demand on the same supply. Note that high bucket coach fares are not particularly cheap, either. With the current equipment shortages that approach might backfire badly, drastically increasing coach fares for those lacking means and still needing to travel.

Last edited:
Back