California Zephyr first time rider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will love the Zephyr! There really isn't a "best" side of the train because there is incredible scenery on both sides of the train. Westbound, I'd recommend grabbing a seat in the lounge car right after you leave Denver and staying there until lunch time - that is when you climb up and go through the Rocky Mountains and there is so much to see you really want to be in the lounge.

I have a standard carry-on-size suitcase and it fits nicely on the "step" in the roomette next to the seat. I like to keep it in the room with me for easy access.

I'm taking the westbound CZ in a month! For Glenwood Canyon, should I also get to the SSL extra early? Is 20 mins before Glenwood Springs station enough?
I've taken the Zephyr several times and the only times I've seen the SSL actually full was westbound through the Rockies usually until around Winter Park. At other times it may be crowded, but you can usually find a seat.

Sometimes you have to be a bit adamant about sharing seats... couples will try to "reserve" an entire booth to themselves, if the car is crowded every open seat is an open seat and the scenery is worth it.

I like sitting at a booth better than the lounge seats - but I always make it very obvious that I welcome others to join me - this is a great way to make friends on the train as well!

I'm taking the westbound CZ in a month! For Glenwood Canyon, should I also get to the SSL extra early? Is 20 mins before Glenwood Springs station enough?
20 minutes before Glenwood Springs you'll be in Glenwood Canyon westbound.

Myself, I'd go to the Sightseer 30 or 40 minutes after Granby for Gore Canyon and stay in it until Glenwood Springs.

This community of train travelers is so helpful! How would a first-time rider know some of these important details, such as the meal process? Does the attendant give any sort of brief "orientation" at the start of the journey?

Back