California Zephyr first time rider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prohibiting passengers from opening windows is not just another of those arbitrary “rules”. It can be downright dangerous at times, such as passing a freight train either standing or moving on an adjacent track, where sometimes things like steel cargo tie-down bands can be loose, and can slap you right across your eyes.

Just don’t do it!
I never imagined it was an arbitrary rule, but thanks for the advice. :cool:

train door.jpg
Mumbai commuter train, and yes, we are moving!

Last edited:
I never imagined it was an arbitrary rule, but thanks for the advice. :cool:

View attachment 38137
Mumbai commuter train, and yes, we are moving!
Speaking of Mumbai Suburban trains, it is estimated that about 2500 people on an average die each year. A lot of those involve falling off trains. And another lot are trespassers.

Frankly those official number appear to be somewhat shall we say muted, as such things often are in India, in my experience.

Anyhow here is a source:

https://www.indiatoday.in/law/story...t-deaths-accidents-injured-2589745-2024-08-29

Speaking of Mumbai Suburban trains, it is estimated that about 2500 people on an average die each year. A lot of those involve falling off trains. And another lot are trespassers.

Frankly those official number appear to be somewhat shall we say muted, as such things often are in India, in my experience.
Be reassured that I am not completely mad, my left arm is curled around a metal post. ;) As you probably know, they don't even close the doors on these EMU's... Not too bad on this ride from Neral back into Mumbai, but pretty dodgy at rush hour, which I think they call "super dense crush load! Deaths definitely under reported! :(

I much prefer being able to reserve. I tend to prefer eating lunch late, and I wouldn't want to be refused service because all seats are taken in the last round.
It is generally when there's a relatively light load. When they do it, just show up before or when they announce last call. If they're full, they'll wait list you and you'll be seated and served. It's just like breakfast service in that regard. You just need to be attentive to last call and show up.

Me, I'm neutral, never had a problem with either.

PS, I was looking in the Service Standards Manual (aka the Blue Book, aka the Amtrak Book of Jokes) last night for something else and ran across that the policy is for lunch to be by reservation with no option.

Back