Capitol Limited discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One result of this speculated change will be the absence of Superliner trains in the East (except for the Auto Train). So for those who are fans of these, or have not yet had the opportunity to ride them close to home, “ride ‘em while you can”. Unfortunately, it seems that the opportunity to ride in a Sightseer Lounge over Sand Patch, is already gone…😕
After reading about this rumored change, both here and elsewhere, I am definitely glad I rode the Capitol when I did.

IMO, the shortage of Superliner equipment, especially sleepers will continue until new equipment is purchased and deployed. I can see the CL continuing as it links major cities but going to single level equipment. On our trips going west from PHL , on the first leg of our trips to CHI, we have taken both the Cardinal and the CL. With the two train option to CHI (NEC, CL) vs the single train Cardinal it saves us about 4 hours but it is more convenient.

We rode the Capitol Limited, DC to Chi, from Friday afternoon May 31 until Saturday morning June 1 in a family bedroom.

First, the good news. Cliff, our attendant, was terrific.

Now, the bad news. The bunk/mattress combo in the family bedroom [room 15] was hard as a rock. We have ridden in the family bedroom Austin to LAX and back and never experienced the sleeping to be painful. Our older photos show the same leatherette seats on the Sunset as we had on the CL, so perhaps it was a difference in the mattress.

Question: should I include this as a comment to AMTRAK? Anyone else with an experience about this?

We rode the Capitol Limited, DC to Chi, from Friday afternoon May 31 until Saturday morning June 1 in a family bedroom.

First, the good news. Cliff, our attendant, was terrific.

Now, the bad news. The bunk/mattress combo in the family bedroom [room 15] was hard as a rock. We have ridden in the family bedroom Austin to LAX and back and never experienced the sleeping to be painful. Our older photos show the same leatherette seats on the Sunset as we had on the CL, so perhaps it was a difference in the mattress.

Question: should I include this as a comment to AMTRAK? Anyone else with an experience about this?
I don't know whether this is a system-wide cost-saving measure, but in the Viewliner II H-rooms, I did notice a thinner mattress on the lower berth the last couple of trips.

Could also be they're just getting compressed as they age, and need replacement.

Evidently the rumors of Superliners' demise on the Capitol Limited are yet to materialize. I am making plans for two trips west this fall, in Sept. and Oct. from Pittsburgh. All dates I have looked at show Superliner equipment available. While I am a Superliner fan, I was hoping for a second opportunity on a VII, which I enjoyed tremendously during my first time earlier this spring on the Silver Meteor.

Evidently the rumors of Superliners' demise on the Capitol Limited are yet to materialize. I am making plans for two trips west this fall, in Sept. and Oct. from Pittsburgh. All dates I have looked at show Superliner equipment available. While I am a Superliner fan, I was hoping for a second opportunity on a VII, which I enjoyed tremendously during my first time earlier this spring on the Silver Meteor.
As of now, based on lower level seating availability, it's been pushed back to 11/10/24.

Replacement of Superliner equipment on the Cap has been talked about for years here on AU. So far, no change.

Is this service restructuring an indicator of closing down one of the East River tunnel lines for 18 months of rebuilding ?
It certainly will help the cause. It also drastically improves equipment utilization and releases Superliners for use where they are more appropriate.

The Harpers Ferry bridges were on fire for a time today. That canceled 29 and 30.

But why not just run 30 to Pittsburgh and then let the people take 42, or better yet, run 30 through Harrisburg?

29 could have gone up to Philadelphia and turned left to Harrisburg. So why doesn't Amtrak have some sort of detour plan when bad things happen?

jb

The Harpers Ferry bridges were on fire for a time today. That canceled 29 and 30.

But why not just run 30 to Pittsburgh and then let the people take 42, or better yet, run 30 through Harrisburg?

29 could have gone up to Philadelphia and turned left to Harrisburg. So why doesn't Amtrak have some sort of detour plan when bad things happen?

jb
I think because it was pretty last-minute they didn't have a detour ready. I dont think they could run superliners up the NEC due to tunnels, and getting a last-minute detour via CSX or NS seems hard to achieve (I think when service disruptions like this happen, cancelations are far more frequent than a detour).

Thanks for the explanation of why the Capitol Limited is canceled. I'm currently riding coach on the 2.5 hour late Lake Shore and fully expect this train to become a completely full madhouse starting in Cleveland with all the Capitol Limited's passengers.

I have been on a bus bridge between DC and Pittsburgh. But that was when the AM #30 was cancelled. This time #30 made it through (15 mins late), but 29 could not leave, therefore no train sitting at Pittsburgh.

Superliners will not be there come November when it will be thru-routed with the Silver Star. Then they could reroute via Philly.

Superliners will not be there come November when it will be thru-routed with the Silver Star. Then they could reroute via Philly.
When do you think this thru-routing will be available to book. I entered TPA (Tampa) to CHI and came up with

Bus TPA to Orlando, Silver Meteor to WAS, and Cap Ltd to CHI
and
Bus TPA to Orlando, Silver Meteor to NYP, and Lake Shore Ltd to CHI.

No mention of the Silver Star. A thru-routed Silver Star would be a one-seat-ride. Also, The routing involving the Capitol Limited offers lower level coach seating. So this has to be a superliner.

Oops! when I tried to book a lower level seat, button was disabled. So it does look like it's not a superliner. I guess it was cheaper to disable the upper vs. lower radio buttons than to delete them.

Last edited:
When do you think this thru-routing will be available to book. I entered TPA (Tampa) to CHI and came up with

Bus TPA to Orlando, Silver Meteor to WAS, and Cap Ltd to CHI
and
Bus TPA to Orlando, Silver Meteor to NYP, and Lake Shore Ltd to CHI.

No mention of the Silver Star. A thru-routed Silver Star would be a one-seat-ride. Also, The routing involving the Capitol Limited offers lower level coach seating. So this has to be a superliner.
As usual; we will not know about it reliably until it actually happens
What is known today:
1. The Silver Star, 92, is bookable TPA-NYP through 11/8/2024.
2. All classes on the Silver Star, 92, are "Sold Out" TPA-NYP, indicating a block on sales, starting 11/9/2024.
3. The Silver Star, 92, is bookable TPA-WAS on all dates, including on and after 11/9/2024.
4. Bedroom inventory drops from 10 to 4 and Family Rooms show as sold out on the Capitol Limited, 29, WAS-CHI from the 11/10/2024 departure onwards. This strongly, though not conclusively, indicates a replacement of Superliner sleepers by Viewliner sleepers effective 11/10/2024.

All this points toward a major change in the operations of the Silver Star and Capitol Limited effective 11/9-10 that is in the process of being implemented in the reservations system. Whether it involves a one seat "Capitol Star" ride through Washington is unknown and speculation. Or whether a connection between 92 and 29 will be permitted, same consist or no.

Finally, sales blocks can be lifted and inventory changed back in the reservations system much more easily than schlepping a bunch of 85 foot hunks of steel around. As long as it remains in the digital domain, it can be fairly easily undone. And it is also clear that reservations system modifications are not yet in their final form. A sales block is an interim measure.

Last edited:
I have been on a bus bridge between DC and Pittsburgh. But that was when the AM #30 was cancelled. This time #30 made it through (15 mins late), but 29 could not leave, therefore no train sitting at Pittsburgh.

Now what is needed for situations whenever trains cannot operate directly WAS <> Pittsburg is for Amtrak to get back occasional track rights on NS from Harve de Grace to Harrisburg so a detours of Capitol can operate WAS - PIT. Schedule Capitol so it can combine with Pennsylvanian at HAR. That is "IF" Superliners can have clearances that route. Otherwise "IF" Capitol becomes single level make arrangements for detours.

For the several dates in November and December on the Cap I was playing with, Family Rooms are sold out, yet regular Bedrooms are not. Terrible coincidence ? I figure they do not want to commit to Superliners as it would be a PITA for them to rebook up to 4 people including 2 kids into Viewliners.

It has to do when East River tunnel work begins, supposedly later this year. We don't know if all the repairs to the recent, repeated catenary droopings and snaggings, usually by NJT trains, will delay this.

Tunnel lines 1 & 2 are in very bad shape, likely worse than the Hudson River tunnels. One person said on a NYC area rail Reddit group that Sandy flood waters pushed down one of the tubes until it hit a bedrock ridge, or else it could have snapped in two. I was on a LIRR train Saturday off track 15 because they were using Line 2 rather than 4. It did not go over 40MPH, if that, on what should be a 60MPH railroad. NJT trains go faster than that through the Hudson River tunnels.

Why the delay? Is Amtrak waiting for LIRR to get a final schedule for GCT trains? Or is it something else such as parts finding someone to actually construct something that has not been built in how knows long ago?

Back