Checked Baggage from LAX - VAC?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

apologies in advance if this has been asked before. I've tried searching google and I can't find any specific answers.

I'm doing two long amtrak journeys when I get to America in November. The first is NY - LAX. I'm then booked on the Coast Starlight express to Seattle then I have to change to get the 8914 Bus from Seattle to Vancouver. I'm moving to Canada for a year on an IEC Visa and i'll have two pieces of big luggage that i'd like to check and one carry on bag. My question is in relation to the bus journey. The Amtrak site says that I can only have two pieces of luggage for that trip incl carry on. Can anyone help me out with what will happen to my other bag?

I did this journey back in 2006, except I got off at San Francisco and Portland. I then went from Portland to Vancouver and my luggage did not come off the train with me at Seattle and was waiting for me in Vancouver, but I can't see that happening this time if there is no train departure soon after I arrive in Seattle.

Any help with this issue would be great!

Thanks,

John

The checked baggage must be picked up when you get to Seattle, then all baggage (including your carry-on bags) will be out under the bus (in the luggage compartment). The bus is a dedicated Amtrak bus and will not depart until all board, no matter how late the train is.

Unless you stay overnight in Seattle and take the morning train, there is no train to Vancouver. There is only 1 morning train and 1 afternoon train. The afternoon train starts in Portland.

Are they likely to accept all of my bags though? That's my issue. The website says no checked baggage and the allowance only states two pieces. I'll have two larger bags and a carry on bag.

If your carry-on bag qualifies as a purse or laptop bag or medical equipment, it's exempt from the limits and does not count. Does that help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately not, but thankyou for trying to help. Sorry, I should have been clearer. My carry on bag will be a rucksack (about 30L).

Unfortunately not, but thankyou for trying to help. Sorry, I should have been clearer. My carry on bag will be a rucksack (about 30L).
You can only check bags through to Seattle. You will have to pick up all your bags in Seattle. While the bus is "carry on" only, that just means you have to be there to stow/oversee stowing of your large pieces in the luggage compartment under the bus.

That's awesome, thank you! I was worried they wouldn't let me on with too much baggage.

Thanks for everyones help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back