CPAP on Coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a CPAP and was wondering how that would work on long trips, if I'm in Coach. I figured a roomette it shouldn't be a pronlem, but was wondering if anyone has used a CPAP on coach. or if anybody on the Amtrax staff would comment on this.

Not being able to use my CPAP would SERIOUSLY happer me traveling by train.

There are two electric outlets under the window. (One should be for the aisle seat passenger.) You may need a multi-outlet cord if you also have to charge a phone or other device.There should be plenty of room on the floor for the CPAP unit.

I'm a CPAP user myself, but fortunately I'm not dependent on it. As mentioned, there is convenient power and plenty of room on the floor or under the seat for the device. Power on the train is generally dependable when the train is underway, but there are times during station stops when the car is powered down for between 5 and 30 minutes or so while adjustments are made to the train. If we knew your exact route we could tell you how likely power-downs are. Even if you were awakened by a power down alarm occasionally, you should be able to get 4 hours or so of sleep between major stations (minor ones will just go by).

Socially, it would probably help if you were travelling with an understanding companion. Trains are pretty full these days and you will probably need to share a pair of seats with someone. Of course no one should object but CPAP systems can be kind of strange to people that haven't been exposed to them.

I poked around and found another thread with a lot more information:

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/cpap-machine.47145/

If you have the money, a travel CPAP (about $900) is a good idea. Much more compact than the regular ones, plus they can be attached to a battery (another $300 - 400), so you don't have to worry about the power going out. I haven't used mine on the train, but I've taken trips with it and appreciate the extra space in my suitcase now that I don't have to fill it with a regular sized machine.

Back