CTA Ventra

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to have a few hours to kill in Chicago on a couple of days in the next week. For the heck of it I got an RTA reduced far card after I attained that certain age but have yet to use it, and frankly I am a bit confused. Tried calling RTA/CTA and could not get past the mind-numbing menus and also had issues finding answers online. Does that card essentially replace the Ventra? And can I pay for fares at machines in CTA stations? I am most likely going to buy a one day pass, though I can't tell if the reduced fare card entitles me to a lower cost day pass. I mean, the regular day pass is only 5 bucks. But what if I decide to take a Metra ride as well? Does the reduced fare card work same as a Ventra card? Appreciate any guidance.

Some of your answers are here.

https://www.transitchicago.com/reduced-fare-programs/

I would note that those using the reduced fare passes will often mention it first to a bus driver or get the attention of an L station attendant, to ensure that they are charged correctly and let through the gate.

• Reduced Fare Permits can store value to pay fares on CTA and Pace. Value can be added at vending machines located at CTA rail stations. Vending machines accept one, two, five, ten, and twenty-dollar bills, and all coins except pennies and half dollars. Maximum value on the card can not exceed $100.

Reduced fare Metra tickets can be bought via the ventra app or website, and, I presume, also from ticket vending machines. I would expect to show your reduced fare card, along with your ticket, to the carman or conductor when he passes through the train to audit and collect fares.

Back