CZ price drop for July 3. Saved $114!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, Im not sure I understand the response. Ive been booked since last November. And no doubt others have booked since. Would car 0533 be considered less desirable, so Im being punished or downgraded for paying a lesser fare? Or does it truly not make a difference which car?
The advantage of being booked in the sleeper next to the dining car is a shorter walk to eat.The advantage of being booked in the sleeper farthest from the dining car is there's less foot traffic going by to eat. But if the sleepers are between the locomotives and the dining car it also means you will be closer to the locomotives, their noise, vibration and horn. Here's a link to a thread about the arrangement of the cars on the CZ... http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/72196-summer-crescent-consist/ ...and it seems you'll be getting an opportunity to get familiar with railroad horn signals.

If that's not acceptable perhaps you could call Amtrak and get a room closer to the diner - probably at a higher fare.
Why would you say changing a room will cause a higher fare? It’s no different than modifying a Rez to get the lower price. If the caller had asked to keep the same room when calling to modify the agent could have done that (may need to ask for supervisor’s help).

Sorry, Im not sure I understand the response. Ive been booked since last November. And no doubt others have booked since. Would car 0533 be considered less desirable, so Im being punished or downgraded for paying a lesser fare? Or does it truly not make a difference which car?
The advantage of being booked in the sleeper next to the dining car is a shorter walk to eat.The advantage of being booked in the sleeper farthest from the dining car is there's less foot traffic going by to eat. But if the sleepers are between the locomotives and the dining car it also means you will be closer to the locomotives, their noise, vibration and horn. Here's a link to a thread about the arrangement of the cars on the CZ... http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/72196-summer-crescent-consist/ ...and it seems you'll be getting an opportunity to get familiar with railroad horn signals.

If that's not acceptable perhaps you could call Amtrak and get a room closer to the diner - probably at a higher fare.
Why would you say changing a room will cause a higher fare? It’s no different than modifying a Rez to get the lower price. If the caller had asked to keep the same room when calling to modify the agent could have done that (may need to ask for supervisor’s help).
Please slow down and re-read what I wrote. I did not say "changing a room will cause a higher fare" (emphasis mine). I distinctly and most clearly wrote (emphasis mine)...

" - probably at a higher fare."

Last edited by a moderator:

If you explain that you expected the room to stay the same, but the difference refunded, and politely ask for your old room, there's a very good chance they can move you back at no charge. I've asked for roomette changes plenty of times, and they've obliged at no charge.

Please slow down and re-read what I wrote. I did not say "changing a room will cause a higher fare". I distinctly and most clearly wrote (emphasis mine)...
If changing a room doesn’t cause the higher fare, what would cause the fare to be “probably higher”?

Please slow down and re-read what I wrote. I did not say "changing a room will cause a higher fare". I distinctly and most clearly wrote (emphasis mine)...
If changing a room doesn’t cause the higher fare, what would cause the fare to be “probably higher”?
That’s what I want to know.

To me it is how the Agent handles the transaction. From my experience, making a change means cancel existing and start over, but not tell the customer on the phone exactly what is being done. Generally, the customer is happy if the change was made successfully. Doing an override to go in and modify an existing record is what people are expecting but not getting.

Since there are 3 Sleepers on your train, #533 is farthest away from the Diner and next to the Transdorm, so you will have to walk through the other 2 Sleepers on your way to/from the Diner and Sightseer Lounge.
So has it been established that sleepers are on the front this summer? I distinctly remember boarding 533 from gravel at the tail end of the train a couple summers ago.

Since there are 3 Sleepers on your train, #533 is farthest away from the Diner and next to the Transdorm, so you will have to walk through the other 2 Sleepers on your way to/from the Diner and Sightseer Lounge.
So has it been established that sleepers are on the front this summer? I distinctly remember boarding 533 from gravel at the tail end of the train a couple summers ago.
If memory serves, the sleeper car numbers go up the further from the diner, regardless of the actual orientation of the train...

We ended up with the same reservation number, so Im assuming it was not canceled and rebooked. After reading the information here, I called, and the agent said that the agent who helped me moved me into the lower fare roomette. When I said that moving was never mentioned, she said she couldnt do anything but would connect me with Customer Relations. That woman could care less, listened to my comment and asked me to hold while she handled my complaint. So I thought maybe something was going to be done. After being on hold 2 or 3 minutes, she came back and in a monotone voice, Is there anything else I can do for you? So I asked if anything could be done. She said no. So I asked what good it did putting in a complaint, and she the home office just likes to know what people are complaining about. That was a wasted 20 minutes.

We ended up with the same reservation number, so Im assuming it was not canceled and rebooked. After reading the information here, I called, and the agent said that the agent who helped me moved me into the lower fare roomette. When I said that moving was never mentioned, she said she couldnt do anything but would connect me with Customer Relations. That woman could care less, listened to my comment and asked me to hold while she handled my complaint. So I thought maybe something was going to be done. After being on hold 2 or 3 minutes, she came back and in a monotone voice, Is there anything else I can do for you? So I asked if anything could be done. She said no. So I asked what good it did putting in a complaint, and she the home office just likes to know what people are complaining about. That was a wasted 20 minutes.
Maybe call back & ask for a supervisor.At this point your original room may have been sold, but maybe you can get another room in the same car.

And if lucky, the supervisor will train the 2 agents in how to handle these requests.

By Amtrak standards, that's not a bad encounter. But I second what AB said that you should call back and ask for a supervisor.

Back