Dome Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly a Pullman-Standard dome. I doubt they ran to '94, especially since in that recent photo, it still sits in phase-I paint. Nothing in P-1 paint ran much past 1980. All Heritage cars got atleast Phase II, most Phase III, as they got HEP.

not sure of the exact date, but the wires in Union Station were raised during the disasterous bicentenial rebuild of Union station and the building of the parking garage over the tracks. So there probably was no need to use the squat domes after the wires were raised. I believe there were only two of those dome cars anyway. (maybe 4 but it wasn't many)

Bob

Clearly a Pullman-Standard dome. I doubt they ran to '94, especially since in that recent photo, it still sits in phase-I paint. Nothing in P-1 paint ran much past 1980. All Heritage cars got atleast Phase II, most Phase III, as they got HEP.

not sure of the exact date, but the wires in Union Station were raised during the disasterous bicentenial rebuild of Union station and the building of the parking garage over the tracks. So there probably was no need to use the squat domes after the wires were raised. I believe there were only two of those dome cars anyway. (maybe 4 but it wasn't many)

Bob
Sure about the raising of the wires? I don't think so. There was some work on them, but think the elevation above rail did not really chang. Either way, I know that there was no change in wire elevation under New York Avenue, which all trains on the old B&OL had to go under. Same for the First Avenye tunnel approach which all southbound trains have to use.

Bob
Sure about the raising of the wires? I don't think so. There was some work on them, but think the elevation above rail did not really chang. Either way, I know that there was no change in wire elevation under New York Avenue, which all trains on the old B&OL had to go under. Same for the First Avenye tunnel approach which all southbound trains have to use.
the Wires at New York Avenue I believe were already high enough, they raised the wires over the tracks a couple at a time so that the Superliners could use the station. I am pretty sure they are all raised now. The cars would fit before but the clearance was not within the safety margin, I am not sure how much they had to raise them but it wasn''t a lot.

At one time I remember the CL had to use a very specific route in and out of WUS, and also to Ivy City.

Bob

Bob

No, that particular dome was sold in the 1970's. But Amtrak ran other domes on that route into the 1990's. This is from 1993:

5054.1098803520.jpg

1994 looks like it was the year of the Superliner changeover, but they could have still been running a dome in the first part of the year. I just can't find a picture of a single level consist from 1994.
From what I can gather, there is one Viewliner sleeper on that train. How many sleepers ran on the Cap?

I was thinking it was one Viewliner, obviously, as you mentioned, a prototype, a 10-6, and a crew-dorm.

I mentioned having pics from the Crescent earlier (sadly, the only dome car I ever took pics out of, apparently). Well, here they are - can anybody tell me where this is and what dome car I rode in? Was this actually one of the Southern domes? I don't remember when this photo was taken, exactly - it was sometime in the mid-1970's.

crop0016.jpg

crop0019.jpg

The seats look a little odd, don't they?

I mentioned having pics from the Crescent earlier (sadly, the only dome car I ever took pics out of, apparently). Well, here they are - can anybody tell me where this is and what dome car I rode in? Was this actually one of the Southern domes? I don't remember when this photo was taken, exactly - it was sometime in the mid-1970's.
crop0016.jpg

crop0019.jpg

The seats look a little odd, don't they?

The Southern never actually built or had built domes for itself. Instead it purchased domes from Wabash, which had used them on it's Blue Bird from Chicago to St. Louis.

The location is likely to between Atlanta and Birmingham since that route is so curvey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back