Early Arrival, Get Off Immediately?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wait... Amtrak trains arriving early?

won't that cause space-time continuum disruption? :(
The good news is that the Sacramento station remodel is now complete. The old hard seating is still there. Check your bags to your final destination on the CZ and go to breakfast. Jim Denny's and the Fox & Goose are my favorites for breakfast in SAC. I have been early to SAC more times than late on the southbound CS

The good news is that the Sacramento station remodel is now complete. The old hard seating is still there. Check your bags to your final destination on the CZ and go to breakfast. Jim Denny's and the Fox & Goose are my favorites for breakfast in SAC. I have been early to SAC more times than late on the southbound CS
My favorite breakfast spot is Steamers in Old Town. 5-10 minute walk. Decent Coffee, cooked to order breakfast. Nice atmosphere. And friendly, local owners.

It happens alot more than people think. Because of the padding built into the schedules, any train that is on time before reaching the terminal station (or a service stop like El Paso on the SL or Denver on the Zephyr) will be significantly early.
I'm in the east and most Amtrak trains that I've been on since 1981 has been late. :)

Seems to be getting worse in the last 5 years. I've experienced 1, 2, even 5-hour late arrivals. A couple of trains never made it into my departing station 6 hours after scheduled departure time and I ended up taking Greyhound.... :(

The most memorable one was when the train stopped in the middle of the town. Can't remember the name of the Virginia town... the railroad tracks were in the middle of the road in the downtown area. We stopped there for almost 50 minutes because of freight train delays up ahead. The conductors allowed us to get off the train to walk around the town(within sign of the train, of course)

Last edited by a moderator:

It happens alot more than people think. Because of the padding built into the schedules, any train that is on time before reaching the terminal station (or a service stop like El Paso on the SL or Denver on the Zephyr) will be significantly early.
I'm in the east and most Amtrak trains that I've been on since 1981 has been late. :)

Seems to be getting worse in the last 5 years. I've experienced 1, 2, even 5-hour late arrivals. A couple of trains never made it into my departing station 6 hours after scheduled departure time and I ended up taking Greyhound.... :(

The most memorable one was when the train stopped in the middle of the town. Can't remember the name of the Virginia town... the railroad tracks were in the middle of the road in the downtown area. We stopped there for almost 50 minutes because of freight train delays up ahead. The conductors allowed us to get off the train to walk around the town(within sign of the train, of course)
The town is most likely Ashland.

A month ago I took the Crescent, Sunset, and Chief.

The crescent left Birmingham on time and was a little over an hour late into New Orleans

sunset was over an hour early Into LA.

Chief was 20 minutes late into Williams Junction.

My previous trips in December on the Starlight, Builder, and Hoosier State I don't recall as much... I think the Builder was late into chicago, but the hoosier State was 20 minutes early into Indy. I think the Starlight was close to ontime but don't remember exactly... Maybe a bit behind, nothing drastic.

With LD traveling on Amtrak, at least here on the east coast, late is the normal. I typically make my connecting plans based on 1 hour late, 2 hours late, and so on. Though, at 24 hours late, it becomes the same plans, but different day. I never, ever, make contingency plans for an early arrival. Sure enough, once our Silver arrived in Philly an hour early. OMG! :help: Good thing, since we were Sleepers, we went up to the ClubAcela, and waited there.

Your results may vary. Batteries not included. Some features optional. You must meet minimum requirements. Not applicable when Mars is in the 7th house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back