Empire Builder Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We will again be on the Empire Builder for the first time in twenty years next tues. 5/5. I understand we will see some "rare" miles due to a detour that day which is a real bit of luck. We have two roomettes and wonder how early we will be able to board (under normal conditions) before the 2:15 departure? Do they still have a ranger on board in Montana talking about the history of the route?

After all these years I am so happy I finally found this site.

Ron

Ron,

Since you didn't specify which direction you were traveling on the Empire Builder, I'm going to assume that you're going west from Chicago in my reply. Assuming that is indeed correct, when you get to Union Station in Chicago, you'll want to head to the Metropolitan Lounge and check in there. Generally they'll pre-board you ahead of the coach passengers anywhere between 15 minutes to a half hour before departure.

As for the ranger, I'm not sure if that program runs year round or not. I believe that it's year round, but I won't promise. Perhaps someone else here will know for sure.

Enjoy your trip! :)

The US Park Service volunteers will be on board the Empire Builder officially beginning May 15th.

They have done and are doing a small number of familiarization trips for some of the newer volunteers though.

Generally, from Chicago, the conductors will begin boarding sleeping car passengers about 20 to 30 minutes before departure time.

We will again be on the Empire Builder for the first time in twenty years next tues. 5/5. I understand we will see some "rare" miles due to a detour that day which is a real bit of luck. We have two roomettes and wonder how early we will be able to board (under normal conditions) before the 2:15 departure? Do they still have a ranger on board in Montana talking about the history of the route?After all these years I am so happy I finally found this site.

Ron
They also have volunteer rangers on the portion of the westbound trip traveling through the Washington Cascades. If you travel the route frequently, it gets annoying. If you listen to them the first time, its fun and informative.

BNSF just reopened the Devils Lake line today.

LINK

You probably won't notice the difference since it is in the middle of the night, but I suspect the detour route was much smoother. Minot to Grand Forks is the only part of the Empire Builder route that is not also a major freight route, and some of the jointed rail is pretty bouncy.

Last edited by a moderator:
LINK

You probably won't notice the difference since it is in the middle of the night, but I suspect the detour route was much smoother. Minot to Grand Forks is the only part of the Empire Builder route that is not also a major freight route, and some of the jointed rail is pretty bouncy.
Let's hope it stays that way through the summer and we don't have a repeat of last year's flooding of the Mighty Mississippi that also affected the EB as well as the CZ and SWC!

LINK

Let's hope it stays that way through the summer and we don't have a repeat of last year's flooding of the Mighty Mississippi that also affected the EB as well as the CZ and SWC!
You better have not jinxed it by saying that! I would like to complete my trip on the SWC this summer!

LINK

You better have not jinxed it by saying that! I would like to complete my trip on the SWC this summer!
Don't worry! Nobody ever listens to me anyway! :lol: Also, don't forget to wave as our two trains pass each other! I'll be look'n for that big 100 gallon hat on you unit! :blink:

LINK

I just arrived in MSP this morning (5.1) on the EB. If the the link is true, we were the last to take the detour.

At National Train Day in LA they will have an Empire Sleeper on display. How will this differ from what I will see next month on Sunset Limited?

At National Train Day in LA they will have an Empire Sleeper on display. How will this differ from what I will see next month on Sunset Limited?
If I understand you correct-- it really shouldn't differ at all.

I'm curious as to why they need one of the EB's sleepers and not the CS's or the SSL's... Are you sure you read that right?

I'm curious as to why they need one of the EB's sleepers and not the CS's or the SSL's... Are you sure you read that right?
TRAIN EQUIPMENT DISPLAYS*

10:00AM - 2:30PM: See the trains up close and personal with displays that include historic private cars, freight cars and Amtrak equipment. In Los Angeles, you can view:

Overland Trail

Scottish Thistle

GM & O 50

Steam Locomotive

Operation Lifesaver Wrapped Locomotive

Superliner Diner

Superliner Sightseer Lounge

Superliner “Empire” Sleeper

Surfliner Coach Car

* Train car equipment list is subject to change

I agree it does not make sense why an Empire sleeper when the Empire Builder does not even go close to Los Angeles or California.

10:00AM - 2:30PM: See the trains up close and personal with displays that include historic private cars, freight cars and Amtrak equipment. In Los Angeles, you can view:

Overland Trail

Scottish Thistle

GM & O 50

Steam Locomotive

Superliner Diner

Surfliner Coach Car

I agree it does not make sense why an Empire sleeper when the Empire Builder does not even go close to Los Angeles or California.
I know the EB uses the Superliner IIs, but still-- why they call it "Empire" is beyond me unless they've named it "Empire". Usually they seem to be named by states, the named Superliner sleepers I've encountered are "South Dakota" and "Oregon". And then they didn't have the name on the outside of the car, IIRC, just on the doors on the UL between cars.

Overland Trail

Scottish Thistle

GM & O 50

Steam Locomotive

Superliner Diner

Surfliner Coach Car

Probably because the sleepers used on the Empire Builder, a few of which do show up on other trains from time to time, are the nicest looking Superliner sleepers that Amtrak has, having been recently refurbished. They have the nice paneling on the walls, the new bathrooms, and the much roomier and nicer public shower.

I know the EB uses the Superliner IIs, but still-- why they call it "Empire" is beyond me unless they've named it "Empire". Usually they seem to be named by states, the named Superliner sleepers I've encountered are "South Dakota" and "Oregon". And then they didn't have the name on the outside of the car, IIRC, just on the doors on the UL between cars.
The EB does not use Superliner II sleepers, it uses the refurbished Superliner I sleepers, currently the nicest sleepers in the Amtrak fleet.

I think it may be a sleeper called "Empire". It did not say "Empire Builder" sleeper, just "Empire" sleeper!
While you're correct that it didn't say Builder, it must be that as there are no Superliner I sleepers named Empire. And it does say Superliner "Empire" Sleeper.

And for those who don't know, all Superliner II regular sleepers are named after US States, save one which is named District of Columbia. Four of the Superliner II Deluxe sleepers are named Palm something, one is named W. Graham Claytor, Jr. and the other the A Phillip Randolph.

I think it may be a sleeper called "Empire". It did not say "Empire Builder" sleeper, just "Empire" sleeper!
While you're correct that it didn't say Builder, it must be that as there are no Superliner I sleepers named Empire. And it does say Superliner "Empire" Sleeper.

And for those who don't know, all Superliner II regular sleepers are named after US States, save one which is named District of Columbia. Four of the Superliner II Deluxe sleepers are named Palm something, one is named W. Graham Claytor, Jr. and the other the A Phillip Randolph.
How exactly can any of these sleepers be different, I mean... there's only so much you can do to a car besides refresh it and make sure it doesn't smell.

The EB does not use Superliner II sleepers, it uses the refurbished Superliner I sleepers, currently the nicest sleepers in the Amtrak fleet.
Nicest in fleet??? :lol: Wasn't that a refrubed sleeper you and grace had on 6 two years ago?? With the AC out? Hopefully when they fix the cars that are currently in Beech Grove, they will overhaul the AC too.

How exactly can any of these sleepers be different, I mean... there's only so much you can do to a car besides refresh it and make sure it doesn't smell.
Working on the assumption that you quoted the wrong post, the refurbished Superliner I sleepers are the nicest in the fleet since they have all new furnishings inside the car. In particular the real gem are the entirely new bathrooms and showers. They are much brighter and the components have been reduced in size with more modern parts making the space available within the bathrooms much larger and roomier than their unrefurbished cousins.

But you also have brand new carpet, new lights that are brighter, new controls for the lights, and just an overall fresher/newer look.

Nicest in fleet??? :lol: Wasn't that a refrubed sleeper you and grace had on 6 two years ago?? With the AC out? Hopefully when they fix the cars that are currently in Beech Grove, they will overhaul the AC too.
Yes it was Steve, and that unfortunately points out the one major problem and IMHO a big mistake on Amtrak's part. While the refurbished sleepers are in general wonderful for the traveling public, the refurbishment extended only to the things that the passengers see. The underlying support structure of the cars was not modernized and updated, so the original AC & heating units are still there, the original circuit breakers and wiring is still there, the original vacuum system is till there, and so on.

While modernizing/replacing these things would no doubt have upped the costs of the refurbishments, IMHO it is a shame that this work was not done while they already had the car taken apart in BG for the work that did get done.

But when those underlying components do work properly, then from a passenger perspective, the refurbished Superliner I's are indeed the nicest in the fleet. I certainly expect and hope that all the wrecked sleeper cars that will now be fixed thanks to the stimulus will come out hopefully with both the new furnishings as well as new/modernized supporting equipment. And I hope that once the wrecks are back online, that monies can be found to finish refurbishing the rest of the Superliner I sleepers properly, and then start of the II's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back