Empire Service discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In other words, even though these trains perform well the great majority of the time, they do have catastrophic failures now and then. So if it's very important to reach your destination at a certain time, it's best to start early enough that you'd have time to make a Plan B if the need arises.

One thing that concerns me is that, because of climate change, we've now had several incidents in just the past few years where intense heavy rain caused washouts or landslides that completely shut down the Hudson line -- in a couple of cases for days. Before 2010, I don't recall that ever happening going back to the '70s when I started riding those trains.

I don't know about great performance.

Right now, 63 is an hour late by Harmon.

There was no 68 yesterday out of Montreal:

"Service Adjustment: As of 12:50 pm ET, Due to ongoing mechanical issues, Train 68 is canceled from Montreal (MTL) to Schenectady (SDY) and will originate in Albany (ALB). Bus transportation is currently being sourced for customers affected."

In other words, even though these trains perform well the great majority of the time, they do have catastrophic failures now and then. So if it's very important to reach your destination at a certain time, it's best to start early enough that you'd have time to make a Plan B if the need arises.

One thing that concerns me is that, because of climate change, we've now had several incidents in just the past few years where intense heavy rain caused washouts or landslides that completely shut down the Hudson line -- in a couple of cases for days. Before 2010, I don't recall that ever happening going back to the '70s when I started riding those trains.

Yes a plan B is always good and have already started looking at Greyhound/Flixbus options too if something catastrophic is predicted for the Amtrak system in that area.

Couple of years ago we were on a train in Egypt, desert terrain. Train had to stop due to flooding!!!

Back