Fare Buckets discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 4 vertical rows of prices are the fares for Coach (C), Roomette (R), Bedroom (B) and Family Room (FR) for each train. There a many more Coach hares than are shown, but only the fare for an additional adult is shown. No idea why the FB is less than the B. Yes, $1021 to $3408 is the current fare range for the Bedroom.

Last edited:
Why also is the family bedroom less than a bedroom?

No idea why the FB is less than the B.
Just a simple matter of supply and demand: the Family Bedroom is not as popular. I have often seen it empty. I like it if it is not much more fare than a Roomette, but a Bedroom with a big window and its own bathroom is much preferable.

Out of curiosity, I did a fake book for a few dates in the near future to see where prices are for an Albuquerque, NM (ABQ) to Chicago run on the SWC. Pretty high and sold out for many dates tested, but I found a screaming deal (so to speak, for Amtrak) for the SWC departing ABQ on July 4th with rooms starting at $530 for a single adult. I tested it for Chi to ABQ on the same day, but that was $719, but the July 3rd date from Chi to ABQ had the $533 price. Meanwhile, coach class was either sold out or also around $500 for most dates tested. So if anyone wants to go to or from ABQ over the holiday in a roomette, check it out now.

Family Rooms lack in-room bathroom facilities. They have always been priced between Roomettes and Bedrooms ever since since Superliners were first introduced in 1979-81 (when Roomettes were Economy Bedrooms and Bedrooms were Deluxe Bedrooms).
Oh they don't have in room bathrooms?! That makes little sense, to me....especially for multiple people in the 1 room.

Oh they don't have in room bathrooms?! That makes little sense, to me....especially for multiple people in the 1 room.
There's really no room for a bathroom. It's only about 10 feet down the Hall past the Roomettes to where the Toliet and Shower are located next to the H Room.

I’ve seen Family rooms lower than roomettes. I’ve always been tempted to book one, but I feel I’ll be taking up space to a family who could use it. Only one to a car. Best part is that you can see out of both sides of the train.
Yes, I have, too. But that is when they are in lower buckets than the equivalent roomette buckets. All three accommodation types, roomettes, bedrooms, and family rooms are managed as separate inventories and allocated independently of each other. The only one that isn't is the Accessible Bedroom. It is sold at the current roomette bucket to mobility impaired individuals, and the current Bedroom bucket to the general public when opened for general sale 14 days before departure.

I have actually seen roomettes cheaper than coach seats very, very rarely and grabbed one of those once a week before departure when I substituted it for what had been planned as a road trip. Such are the vagaries of yield managing separate inventories on the same train.

Amtrak is catering to the well off. To me, paying $3000 or even $2000 plus in a bedroom from Chicago to Seattle,Portland,Emeryville or LA is insane. Basically a 48 hour trip with good, not great food. I used to do circle trips around the US always getting low bucket, by playing around with dates. That is getting almost impossible to do.
Amtrak sleepers are catering to the well off. IMHO there's a whole different dynamic in coach. I recall that someone here figured out that Amtrak coach is actually significantly cheaper than pre-Amtrak coach fares when adjusted for inflation. I'm sure there's plenty of people in coach for whom those old $400-600 roomette fares were just as laughably out of reach as four-figure sleeper fares are to us now.

I understand that two days in coach doesn't appeal to most, myself included. The last time I took an overnight trip in coach (City of New Orleans a few years back) merely reminded me why I always get a sleeper for overnight travel, or fly if a sleeper isn't a realistic option. But not everyone is going from Chicago to Emeryville. I've taken Amtrak coach for many day trips over the years. I also personally don't feel that flex meals are "garbage" as some do, and I've taken a round-trip in bedrooms on the Lake Shore Limited with flex dining. On the other hand and to be fair, I've flown on more than one trip not because Amtrak didn't go when/where I was going but because I didn't have enough AGR points for a bedroom for my wife and I.

I haven't tried it for a trip yet, but I've seen a tip from a pair of frequent Amtrak travelers who post a lot of YouTube videos that two roomettes across from each other is cheaper than one bedroom. You end up with no in-room shower, but that's no real loss to me. I've never used the shower in a bedroom because I don't want a wet bathroom, and haven't used the shower on the train since the late '90s when I would take the Capitol Limited for business trips between Chicago and D.C.

Fiddling on the Amtrak website with various long-distance trips from Chicago on a random day (8/4), it seems generally but not universally true that two roomettes is cheaper than one bedroom, in dollars or points. I also found a weird anomaly where a bedroom was actually cheaper than a roomette: Capitol Limited from Chicago to DC on 8/4/24!

Up until 9 Nov 2024 the high bucket for a Bedroom on the CL is $1141. Starting 10 Nov 2024 it rises to $1275 and seems to stay at that level for the next six months. Also on10 Nov 2024 Family Rooms are shown as sold out for the next six months.

This appears to reflect a change in the consist for the CL from Superliners to Viewliners I recall being mentioned somewhere else, but I can't find that thread.

Moderators are welcomed to move or delete this post.

There have been recent changes in the behavior of both Amtrak.com and railsforless.us that are useful in evaluating inventory and yield management bucket allocation.

In researching prices in response to recent posts on the SW Chief it became apparent that the second sleeper on the Chief is being withdrawn sometime before next spring, also that the Bedroom pricing is generally in higher buckets on the Chief than the Builder. I became curious about second sleepers on both and when/if they were being withdrawn.

If more than 5 Bedrooms are available, that means there is more than one standard sleeper in inventory, so I ran inquiries for Bedrooms on railsforless.us, which will give inventory counts. I quickly found that the Builder is keeping its second sleeper through next spring. I already knew the Chief was back down to one sleeper by next April and started running inquiries on railsforless.us to figure out about when.

In my first query, 8/15-9/14, I found several dates with more than five Bedrooms, which I expected for late summer. But I got sidetracked by one date, 8/21, which railsforless.us said had 7 Bedrooms available at $1951, 5th bucket. Seven bedrooms made sense, but all seven at 5th bucket, which is low-ish for the SW Chief, did not. I did not think that made sense for typical Amtrak inventory allocation patterns these days, so I switched over to Amtrak.com to see what it said.

I immediately saw 4 Bedrooms for 8 passengers worked out to $2216, 6th bucket. I also saw the "+" button was active, so I started adding rooms.

I was able to push it to all 7 rooms railsforless.us said it had and discovered Amtrak.com now has the capability to add single rooms when they cross bucket boundaries, which you could not do as recently as a month ago.

I won't go into the arithmetic, but the allocation for seven available Bedrooms on 8/21 is:
2 Bedrooms @ $1951 (5th bucket)
2 Bedrooms @ $2216 (6th bucket)
1 Bedroom @ $2523 (7th bucket)
2 Bedrooms @ $2879 (8th, high, bucket).

The behavior changes are:
1. railsforless.us is now showing total inventory, though it is now incorrectly stating it is all at the lowest open bucket.
2. You can push Amtrak.com into allocating rooms for singles over inventory allocation boundaries.

I find both these developments useful. Knowing total inventory is better than just lowest bucket inventory, and being able to find bucket allocation for all open rooms up to 8 is great.

But I haven't run the SW Chief out past September to find when the second sleeper is dropped yet, though...

Last edited:
This appears to reflect a change in the consist for the CL from Superliners to Viewliners I recall being mentioned somewhere else, but I can't find that thread.
Nothing has been confirmed by Amtrak; it's just an assumption many of us are making based on the unavailability of both Family Rooms and lower level seating on the CL after that date, the unavailability of Silver Star travel north of WAS, and the possibility of a reduction in train capacity between NWK & NYP around that time period.

The behavior changes are:
1. railsforless.us is now showing total inventory, though it is now incorrectly stating it is all at the lowest open bucket.
2. You can push Amtrak.com into allocating rooms for singles over inventory allocation boundaries.
Correction, railsforless.us is showing only the total inventory for Bedrooms, but it is showing the true lowest open bucket inventory for roomettes when I started checking more. I am going to keeping poking around. The limitation of not crossing bucket lines when asking for single room on Amtrak.com also still applies to roomettes. Strange that it behaves differently for roomettes and bedrooms, but that's Amtrak IT for you.

Also, the SW Chief's second sleeper appears to come off around the end of September/sometime in October. The last day that has more than five Bedrooms available is 9/29. The first day with five available after that is 10/31. Further, on 11/9 I found five Bedrooms available starting at $1951, bucket 5, which is effectively a low-ish bucket on the SWC. I checked that date on Amtrak.com and it has 1 Bedroom at $1951, 1 Bedroom at $2216 (bucket 6), 1 Bedroom at $2523 (bucket 7) and 2 Bedrooms at $2879 (bucket 8, top). That pattern would indicate it is a completely unsold single sleeper, if five rooms in one sleeper had already been sold, I would not expect to see any inventory available at $1951. There are also no days with more than five Bedrooms over the Christmas holidays, though allocation shifts towards the top couple buckets. Finally, there are some dates in mid-December before holiday travel really kicks in at $1723, bucket 4. Friday, 12/13 has one bedroom at $1723, bucket 4, one bedroom at $1951, bucket 5 one bedroom at $2216, bucket 6, one Bedroom at $2523, bucket 7, and one Bedroom at $2879, bucket 8. Again, that is not a pattern I would expect after having sold one sleeper.

Last edited:
Up until 9 Nov 2024 the high bucket for a Bedroom on the CL is $1141. Starting 10 Nov 2024 it rises to $1275 and seems to stay at that level for the next six months. Also on10 Nov 2024 Family Rooms are shown as sold out for the next six months.

Moderators are welcomed to move or delete this post.
Another indicator is that up until the departure of 11/10 departure of 29, most dates in early November show 10 Bedrooms available, which indicates two standard Superliner sleepers until then. As of the 11/10 departure, the maximum number of available Bedrooms is 4, consistent with 2 Viewliner sleepers. The lack of Family Rooms, the drop in available Bedrooms from 10 to 4 as well as the different price all would seem to indicate that the train's inventory in ARROW has been adjusted to reflect a Viewliner consist for 29 as of 11/10. Whether that consist materializes in the real world is another issue. It's a lot easier to change the consist back in ARROW if the theorized change is delayed or suspended than to implement a significant change in rolling stock deployment.

Another indicator is that up until the departure of 11/10 departure of 29, most dates in early November show 10 Bedrooms available, which indicates two standard Superliner sleepers until then. As of the 11/10 departure, the maximum number of available Bedrooms is 4, consistent with 2 Viewliner sleepers. The lack of Family Rooms, the drop in available Bedrooms from 10 to 4 as well as the different price all would seem to indicate that the train's inventory in ARROW has been adjusted to reflect a Viewliner consist for 29 as of 11/10. Whether that consist materializes in the real world is another issue. It's a lot easier to change the consist back in ARROW if the theorized change is delayed or suspended than to implement a significant change in rolling stock deployment.
‘Lower level coach’ is also not an available after this date.

Back