First time Zephyr + Starlight, Surfliner, Ventures, Metra, and United

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal

Engineer
Last week I took a trip. Heres the basic itinerary:
UAL 2622 from LAX-ORD on a redeye (8/13)
Metra into Union (8/14)
Lincoln Service to Juliet (8/14)
Metra into LaSalle (8/14)
California Zephyr to Emeryville (8/14-8/16)
Coast Starlight to Los Angeles (8/17)
Pacific Surfliner to Fullerton (8/17)

Was travelling with one other person. No idea how long this will be, but I tend to write a lot.

Edit: It is almost 8,000 words, so I don’t blame anyone for not reading it if you don’t want I also wrote this over multiple days, so the level of detail varies a lot (The Starlight is very detailed)

Key takeaways:

-The Zephyr is amazing. The scenery was so good throughout, it puts all other Amtrak trains to shame
-Employees were (for the most part) very very average
-Ventures aren’t bad
-Metra is cool
-Sips in the Sightseer is a great new program

I wrote so much it has to be broken up.

United, Metra, Lincoln Service:

The United flight was pretty good. United's terminal 7 at LAX is pretty modern and nice, and we would've gotten through security pretty quickly if we hadn't completely forgotten how to do security; All three bags had to be hand-checked because we brain-farted and forgot what to take out and not bring. Oh well! After that, still had some time before the flight, and so I (being an avgeek) walked through terminals 6, 5, 4, and TBIT to look at planes and just see the layout, as I had never been outside of TBIT. The walkway between terminal 7 and 6 is fine, but the others are very embarrassing for a major airport; They were small, hot, and long with a very unfinished feel. Back in terminal 7, there is hardly enough seating for everyone, and I sat on the floor which caused my back to start hurting for the next 10 hours (I'm sure the plane seat didn't help). Boarding was on time and we were able to board early. I was happy to be on a 757 (first and probably only time), and the seat was spacious enough for me. We were slightly late due to problems with ground equipment, which I found out through United's helpful IT. The crew didn't say anything, and some were not smiling and didn't seem to love their job (one seemed really kind though). Sometime after takeoff the crew came around with very small snacks and beverages (offering full cans). Flight was three and a half hours long, and I got very limited rest (can't tell if I ever fell asleep - it FELT as if I was awake the whole time). We did go over a lightning show that was going on in Nebraska(?) which was cool to see. Landed right at 5AM, and the airport was nice. I didn't see any great signage pointing to the Air train in the check-in area though, and went the wrong way out at first.

Once we got to the air-train, it was a relatively quick and easy trip to the Metra station. We got to the Metra station a bit after 6 AM, and had about a 15 minute wait. The platform was fine for such a small wait. With us was one other passenger, and when I went to check out the station there was a homeless person sleeping in it. Didn't feel unsafe though. Once on board, I sat in the cab car for a quick transfer to my Lincoln service and for optimal horn-hearing. I wasn't expecting much from the gallery cars, but I found them pretty comfortable and really cool. Always fun to be able to look straight out in front. The conductor was extremely indifferent when checking tickets, but it was early. One thing I admire about Metra is that they actually check tickets; On Metrolink the conductors often check tickets once the whole ride or even not at all, but the conductors routinely went out to check tickets on Metra. The ride was slower than expected into Chicago, I don't think we ever got above 60ish. We were delayed a few minutes, but nothing too bad. Once we got to Union, I went directly to my Lincoln Service train while my companion waited for the Metropolitan Lounge to open.

I was in business class on the Lincoln Service; I wanted to check out the business class and the cafe cars. By the time I got there they were in the middle of boarding and most business passengers had already boarded, so conductors were only telling people to head to the coach section. After boarding ended a friendly conductor checked my ticket. Business was at the end of the train, which was convenient. I really like the Ventures; They are open, bright, modern, and the ride quality is amazing. The restroom was nice and clean, and there were tissues outside the restroom for passengers to use. I do hate that the business class car is a mix of coach and business with absolutely zero separation. The passenger information system was showing the right train, but by the time we got to Joliet it was still saying boarding now as if we were at Chicago. The business class seat had great legroom and was comfortable enough, but I think they really should have footrests. I went to one of the normal coach seats to try it out again (my last time was two years ago). The slimmer seat actually fit me better and I was more comfortable in it. My back was hurting, but I'm pretty sure that was due to the flight as it had been hurting already. During the ride, I was resting a bit since I was tired and the train was a relaxing place to be. I was hoping for a coffee and a snack though, as I had barely eaten anything since my dinner the night before, so I went up to the cafe car at the other end of the train. I was glad to see the train was pretty full, and conductors had mentioned that it would be even more full later on. When I got to the cafe, there was another conductor sitting at one of the seats (NOT the crew table) and when I walked past he told me the cafe was closed. I told him that's fine because I just wanted to see the new cafe, and kept walking because I wanted to check out the layout for myself. He got up and told me that was all there is to see, and that I couldn't go any further (there was a horizon car in front where the other conductor was). He seemed a bit annoyed I was there, and while I would've normally stayed just to check the details, I instead went back to my seat. A whopping 40ish minutes after departure, the cafe opened and I went up to get a coffee and some yogurt. The LSA was pretty indifferent. I find the cafe adequate for corridor services; tables would be nice but not necessary. Started eating back at my seat, but we were approaching Joliet about ten minutes early so I finished on the platform. As we were approaching the conductor who was in the cafe did come by and let me know I could sit in the business class section (since I had a business ticket), and mentioned how he didn't like the fact that there weren't tables in the cafe. He seemed a bit friendlier at this second interaction than the first.

At Joliet I quickly finished my yogurt and wanted to watch the train depart, but the engine had pulled up past the platform. So I decided to go to the old, beautiful Joliet station platform to watch it depart. I was disappointed to learn that the old platform is blocked off. It's a shame, because it would be a great railfanning spot. So I went back to the current station to explore it as the train departed. The Joliet station seemed nice; There is a little coffee shop and a small museum that was closed when I was there. My Metra train had pulled in a little earlier, so after I was done exploring I headed to the platform. I boarded about 15 minutes early and headed to the cab car. The crew of three (two engineers and one conductor) were chatting loudly in there when I walked in, and continued to do so until a minute or so before departure. I had no problem with it, it was nice knowing that they seemed to be enjoying life and weren't being stern. We departed on time, and I enjoyed a little single seat on the upper deck. I was expecting the upper deck to be really cramped, but honestly it was perfectly fine for me. Throughout the ride, I could hear the two engineers laughing a lot, and the conductor routinely checked tickets (even though the train was fairly busy). I really enjoyed the ride back into Chicago. We got up to pretty good speeds, and the scenery was really nice (I really like how green it is, and the many trees that we passed through). Illinois suburbs and Metra have such a different vibe than Metrolink and LA's suburbs do, and I was really enjoying looking out. It was also nice to see the train well-used, much more than Metrolink anyway. The coffee was also starting to kick in from earlier so I was waking up. On the upper level, there were no outlets, but there were on the lower level, so at one point I moved down. As we approached Chicago, I really enjoyed looking at the rail infrastructure. Chicago has so many railways, and it was cool to see the different ones we passed and crossed. But I also love looking at old bridges and ROW's that clearly used to have tracks but unfortunately don't anymore. The ride into downtown Chicago was nice. LaSalle station, from what I saw, is very small and basic. but fine.

Once arriving, I walked to Union Station and admired the urban fabric of downtown Chicago, which I find to be really nice. It was my first time in Chicago in two years, and I was thrilled to be back. I got back to the lounge, and then went w to have some real food at Ricano's Restaurant a few blocks west. We used the Blue Line to get there, which was fine. Neither Clinton or Racine were great stations to wait at, but nothing that bad. The waffle I had was excellent. It was this restaurant's waffles four years ago that really got me liking waffles. After that, I went off to walk around downtown and sped-walk to see the bean. My time was running short though, so my excursion really consisted of me speed-walking through the streets and two minutes at The Bean. I was back in the Metropolitan Lounge by 12:45.

Zephyr Day One:

While waiting in the lounge, reservations for dinner were being taken. I don’t know if it was our LSA, our SA, or someone else entirely (I don’t think it was the LSA), but we were able to get a 6 PM reservation. Boarding started around 1:20ish. We were going to wait for a redcap while the rest of the sleeper passengers went ahead, but after a few minutes of standing outside the lounge without a redcap, we headed to the train ourselves. On the tiny platform, it was pretty chaotic. The conductor was scanning all the tickets there and then sending people to their sleeper, which resulted in a pretty long line. I get how it makes it easier for post-departure, but the Chicago platform is not an amazing place to wait. We got to our refurbished roomette at 1:40 PM in car 531, and we had an on-time departure.

I’m going to speak about the staff now. Our SCA, Eric, made an announcement once everyone was on board and made a few others throughout the journey. He was friendly, but never once introduced himself to us personally. I think my only interactions with him were passing each other in the hallway (Edit: He did collect linens before arrival into EMY). He did keep the car clean though, which is what matters the most to me. The SCA in 532 was very stern, and I saw her in the diner nearly every time I went through it, which was pretty often. I overheard her issuing very specific directions about how to use the restroom to ensure the toilet does not get clogged (as our car’s lower restrooms did at some point). The SCA for 340 was my favorite; She was very friendly and whenever I saw her interact with anyone she seemed very bubbly and joyful. I heard from my friends that she wasn’t there to turn the beds down on the first night, however (and I know she spent some time in my SCA’s roomette talking with him). The LSA was very indifferent; She did her job and was kind, but she never really smiled or welcomed anyone into the diner – A lot of brief words and gestures. The SA was a bit more personable, but not by much. The LSA in the cafe didn’t make a single announcement the whole trip and was indifferent the one time I saw him. To be fair to him, it was right before he closed on the final day. The coach attendant, while I never saw or interacted with him, did make several announcements throughout the trip about various protocols like boarding and such. Overall the crew was fine, nothing great though.

The first day is pretty basic, as it is with any long-distance train out of Chicago. One thing I don’t get is why Naperville isn’t used that much, as the CZ and SWC usually only make brief stops there. Meanwhile, the Chief is usually at Fullerton for a while due to a high passenger load. Anyways, soon after departing out of Chicago, an announcement was made for “Sips in the Sightseer.” It’s a new program where passengers can go to the SSL and enjoy alcoholic drinks and snacks (for a price, of course). Because of this, the SSL was very full when I went in after Naperville, but I was able to find a spot. On each table, and around each cluster of lounge chairs, was a table number in a nice font and a menu. I think they had table service, although I did not indulge. There was an LSA and another employee (probably LSA) behind the upstairs counter, which was filled with snacks and drinks. Both employees were enthusiastically chatting with passengers and serving. Both of them were from the extra board, and it is my understanding the extra board staffs this event on Zephyr’s when they can. The LSA told me they hope to expand to other trains if this pilot program goes well. They had some music playing, and it was a total vibe in the SSL. The scenery of the Midwest isn’t dramatic, but I really enjoy it, as it’s just nice to see the green landscape roll by. Dinner was right on time, and I enjoyed the shrimp tempura and the steak, both of which were great. The chocolate cake was far too dense though. It is note-worthy that it was not the spoon-cake that the menu indicates online. Had a quick fresh-air break in Ottumwa and did some work in the SSL After Ottumwa we did have to stop, as (I think) we had to get a track warrant to pass a red signal protecting a diamond, and PTC stopped us when we tried. Then after clearing the diamond, they had to get PTC back on again. Not much of a delay though. After dark, we could see a bunch of lightning from off in the distance, and we went through a little rain. It was really neat to see the lightning storms from the ground after seeing them from the sky the night before. I wanted to stay up to get out at Omaha, and we were running a bit late, so it would be a while. I mostly relaxed in the SSL, enjoying being on the train, even though it was near impossible to see outside. Omaha was a nice little break, and I liked the station. After that, I took a shower and went to sleep. Right after I put my phone down I did feel an emergency stop and quickly turned on my scanner to see what was up. Turns out there was a tree in the way, and so I went to sleep while the crew was busy removing it.

Zephyr Day Two:

I had an okay night's rest; woke up a few times but still got a good amount in. I was going to try to wake up early to watch the sunrise, but when I woke up at 5:30 I realized we were just barely still in central time, so it was effectively 4:30. I decided to go back to sleep and woke up after the sun was up at around 6 AM. Relaxed for a while before getting breakfast around 7AM. The scrambled eggs were great, and we met a lovely Scottish-turned-American couple. The croissant was a lot smaller than it was in previous years though. The morning was chill, and we came into Denver only 30 minutes late. I went out to see the station, which I found really beautiful. I also love how the area is built up around the station. RTD is a very impressive system, and it’s cool to be under catenary in a superliner. Walked up to the engines on the adjacent platform for a picture, and were back in time for our departure, which was going to be on time. However, the conductor came on the PA and told us that our lead engine (45) was having some trouble and that they were going to switch it with the other engine (170). So I hopped back out and listened to the traincrew on my scanner while they did the move. I also got an expensive coffee from the coffee shop inside the station, which was good. It took them until around 10 AM to do the move, but they still had to setup the train and fix an air leak, so we didn’t leave until 10:45. It did turn out 170 had a slight speedometer problem, and the AC didn’t work in it leading the engineers to leave the doors open the restr of the trip, but it never delayed us more.

Leaving Denver, we encountered traffic since we had missed our slot. But Brad, our conductor, kept us updated. Brad is a little bit famous on Amtrak, and his announcements were always funny, interesting, and useful. It was a true delight to have him as our conductor on my first Zephyr. Before we left Denver, I was able to snag a right-hand seat in the SSL, which was packed. The ascension up the Rockies was great (although we did encounter more delays with a switch and another train). I enjoyed speaking to the people next to me, mostly about trains. They were amazed to find out how much I had traveled on Amtrak. The scenery through here has probably been well-documented, so I won’t go into detail, but I really enjoyed it. The ascension up the rockies was impressive, and I found the little valley right before Fraser especially pleasant. At Fraser, I stepped off for the fresh air, and Brad ensured to emphasize the importance of disposing of cigarettes properly to not start fires. Lunch was first-come first serve, which I prefer because it let’s you go whenever you feel like it, so I went after Fraser. The burger was great, and the brownie was good (not great though). During lunch, we stopped at Granby. The stop was a little longer than usual, as there was a medical emergency in coach, but we were soon on our way. After lunch, I stayed in my room for a while, since the best views were on the left and I didn’t want to take a seat in the SSL unnecessarily. The majestic canyons (Like Gore) were really great, but I also love the less dramatic valleys (this is a recurring theme). At some point in the afternoon, we were going through less dramatic scenery and I was in such a relaxed state of mind I had trouble staying awake. It truly wasn’t because I was tired, I was just so at peace with life at that moment. At 4PM the LSA came around to get dinner reservations. You could make a reservation for more than a single room, which I took advantage of as I had other friends on the train too. Appetizers were also taken at this time. After, I went up to the SSL and reclaimed my right-side seat for Glenwood Canyon. The same people I was sitting with earlier were there, and I enjoyed talking with them again. Again, all the scenery was great, but Glenwood Canyon was truly awe-inspiring. I haven’t been so encapsulated by a view in a while, and it sucks that the reflection and glare in the window made most of my photos turn out kinda bad. The mud-colored water, along with the interstate, were the only not-beautiful things through the canyon.

Glenwood Springs was a very quick fresh-air stop, and spent some time in my roomette and the SSL. Again, really nice scenery in the evening. I did also catch a glimpse of the Rocky Mountaineer, which I thought was cool. Grand Junction came, and I said bye to Brad. Earlier in the day he had seen I had a scanner and clicked his radio so I could hear it; just a very nice guy, he deserved a goodbye. Shortly after Grand Junction was our 7PM dinner reservation. During dinner, we went through Ruby Canyon. The sun was setting and the red hues of the sun against the rocks was such a pretty sight. I had the shrimp tempura again, which was great. The chicken was good, and the cheesecake was a step above the chocolate cake.

In the late evening, I again did some work in the SSL. One of the guys I had met earlier in the SSL also had work to do, so we worked independently together. Once I was done I just relaxed in the SSL. Relaxing in the SSL is probably one of my favorite things to do in life. While I was there we did pass Helper, which seemed like a cute little town with a bunch of lights on the buildings. Took a quick shower and went to bed at around midnight while we were climbing (or descending – not sure) Soldier Summit. I wasn’t able to see any landscape out the window, but I was able to see our engines (or at least the lights on our engines) snake through curves. After I decided to stop watching the train (which I only did for a few minutes), I went to sleep. I was hoping to get off in SLC, but we were running close to three hours late still, and I had no intention of waking up at 2 AM.

Zephyr Day Three:

I had a solid night’s rest with no interruptions and woke up as the sun was rising over the Nevada desert. The flat landscape with dark mountains in the distance in front of a perfect sunrise made for great scenery. I stayed in my room for about 30 minutes but decided to enjoy the sunrise from the SSL as well (have I mentioned that I really like the SSL?). It wasn’t too busy, and the sun came into view as the landscape got more mountainous. It was a great way to start a day and enjoy the morning, and the sun rays hitting the SSL were beautiful. As my friends were waking up, we were getting ready to go to breakfast. It was around this time that our SCA announced that all the downstairs restrooms were broken due to paper towels being flushed and clogging the HVAC system. They remained out of order, AFAIK, for the rest of the trip. I frequently used the restrooms in the transdorm after that, as I had been going up there to step off with my friends at smoke stops anyway. We went to breakfast at around 8, and I had the French Toast, which was great. After breakfast, I went back to the SSL and enjoyed the desert scenery. It was a nice change of pace from the mountains of the previous day. I really liked being able to see the opposite direction’s track and the bridges and tunnels it went through. Usually, you never get to see a track unless it’s directly parallel to the track that you’re on, so being able to see one from afar was kinda cool. I think we were on the ROW of the original transcon too, which was cool.

At Winnemucca I stepped off, which was a nice little break. Did play some games with a friend on our phones, and was chatting with the guy I had done work with the night before. Stayed in the SSL until Reno, where I stepped off. It was the first (and only time) the whole trip, other than Denver, where I felt confident enough to go up in front of the engines to take a picture. Usually, I do so at most smoke breaks, but since we were running late and all of them had been very brief, I didn’t until Reno. After Reno, I went back to the SSL (big surprise!). The scenery along the Truckee River was pleasant, but I spent more time chatting than I did watching the scenery. I did like looking at the man-made wooden structures carrying water. I had previously, through pictures, thought they were old railroad infrastructure, and it was nice to find out what they truly were. At Truckee, we had a whopping three stops for passengers (I believe two for sleepers and one for coach). Truckee seems like a really cute mountain town, and I’d love to visit someday for longer than 10 minutes.

As we left Truckee, I decided to get lunch (again, on a first-come first-serve basis). We were seated with an ATC from Cleveland (I think, IIRC), and it was cool to hear his insight. I was torn between ordering the burger or the chili, so I asked the SA what she thought. She said they were both actually good, but that you can put more things on the chili (with a chuckle). That was the most personality I saw of her, so I went with the Chilli. It was pretty good, but I do prefer the burger. The butter cake (not sure if it’s actually a butter cake, but the non-brownie option) was great. Unfortunately, during lunch we were on the left side, so I couldn’t see Donner Lake or the best views very well. I did see the old ROW for the original, higher route, which the railroad history buff in me was excited about. After I finished, back to the SSL it was for me. There I could actually see Donner Pass well, and I was very impressed. I was expecting Marias Pass and even Willamette Pass to be better, but I think Donner came out on top. Will have to get back on the Builder to confirm for sure though.

As we started to descend down Donner, it felt like the trip was coming to an end and I did start feeling a bit down. It’s never fun to get off a long-distance train, especially not the Zephyr. To savor the moment the most, I stayed in the SSL for most of the day. Colfax lasted all of 5 seconds, and we continued down into Sacramento. I wonder how many people have waited on the station platform at Colfax only for #5 to stop on the other side. Anyways, past Colfax mountains became more hilly and the terrain became more yellow and brown. As I’ve said before, I’m a sucker for pleasant but undramatic scenery, and I was very relaxed. As we got closer to Sacramento, I did start seeing more trash and homeless near the tracks. Roseville came and went, and we suffered a short freight delay soon after departing. The train was clearly emptying out, and I saw many familiar faces either leave at Roseville or get ready to leave at Sacramento. Although there was a really cute British kid (with an adorable accent) in the SSL with his family that I hadn’t seen before. Right before Sacramento the signals were dark, so we had a bit of a delay getting a track warrant and waiting for a Capitol while approaching Sac. For the last time, I briefly stepped off in Sacramento. I do believe a Capitol Corridor was held for some connecting passengers of ours at Sacramento, which was nice on Amtraks part. While speeding through the farms around Davis (where we had to wait again for a Capitol) we passed by some corn, and I thought it was funny and made for a full-circle moment from Illinois. The crossing over into Martinez was as magnificent as always, and I took this time to have one last sit down with some of the people I had met along the way. The skirting along the Bay was really pretty, and the sun was getting lower in the sky which helped cement the melancholy mood. They closed the SSL a few minutes before Richmond, and so I headed back to my room and finished packing. I did pop into the now-empty roomette across the hall and got to see the San Fransisco skyline and Golden Gate Bridge pretty clearly. We arrived into Emeryville just past 7PM, two hours late.

At Emeryville, a friend who I hadn’t seen in years was waiting for me. I was staying in the Hyatt across the tracks, so I didn’t have much rush to go anywhere. I did see the SCA of the 532 car leave about 4 minutes after we arrived (same one that was always in the diner) – she was NOT messing around. Anyways, I hung around and waited for the two friends I had traveled with to get an Uber, and said goodbye. Then quickly checked in with the hotel, and had a good pizza in the shopping center by the station on the Hyatt side. Being a railfan, me and my friend (also a railfan) went back to the station to catch 14 come in. Afterwards, I went back to the hotel and relaxed a bit before going to sleep. Throughout the evening, I was impressed with the frequency of trains that Emeryville had, and I love to see frequent Amtrak service. I had a direct view of the station from my room, which was cool for me. I will say the area around the station was pretty good. I was a bit questionable before going, but I never felt unsafe and there weren’t any homeless.

Starlight EMY-SLO:

The next morning I woke up at around 6 and took a shower before heading down for breakfast. It was nice to use a large shower after the small (and moving) Amtrak one. Breakfast was alright, and we were back at the station at around 8:20. It was just in time to see everyone getting ready for #6, which had a pretty good passenger load. It was cool and bittersweet to see the consist I had spent the past 3 days in with the same crew come and go without me. I briefly spoke with the SCA of 640 (the one who I liked the most), and she even asked about the two friends I had been with. The SCA of 632 also waved and said hi when she recognized me. The train came in at it’s scheduled departure of 8:25, so it left a few minutes late. The conductor couldn’t see the signal from the platform either, so that led to an unnecessary delay where the conductor thought they were waiting on a signal (the engineer corrected him and they were off).

After the Zephyr left, it wasn’t too long of a wait before #11 came in (although it was running about 25 minutes late). There weren’t too many of us, maybe two dozen, and we were told to wait at the start of the platform by the bridge and to not move until the conductor told us to, as she was supposedly strict. I don’t remember her name, unfortunately, but she was indeed very stern with her operations. As she scanned tickets she sent sleeper passengers down to their car, and had coach passengers wait. Someone did try to move and she quickly and sternly put them back in their place. It wasn’t the most welcoming way to start the trip, but she did explain that it was to allow for the platform to clear up before we headed down. Once we were released, we headed all the way to the last car (not sure why, there were many seats available in the second to last car too), where the TA gave us seat assignments. Today’s ride was in coach. He didn’t welcome us, or smile, he was just there. The car was clean though, and that’s the most important thing (I had been worried since the train had already been moving for 24 hours).

Oakland was soon after Emeryville, and I did step off because it is ALWAYS cool to see street-running trains. The conductor (I remembered her name – Michelle!) made sure to be clear to not stray far as she would leave you behind. After Oakland, we sped down along the Bay. I did notice a lot of trash along the ROW, which felt on brand. The LSA in the cafe did make an announcement and was very clear about it. I went to get a snack shortly after, and she was polite and would conversate if prompted, but otherwise was indifferent. Going across the marshes at the south end of the bay is always a highlight for me, and I like seeing the little ghost town there. As we were approaching San Jose, I went to the back of the train because I really wanted to see a new Caltrain EMU in action. I saw a few parked at their main facility, and at the San Jose and Tamien station, but none actually moving. In San Jose it was cool to see (and be in) superliners under catenary again, and we stayed there for a whopping 20 minutes (it was not a smoke break though). After San Jose I stayed at my seat for a little while. The scenery in this section is nothing special, but it was my last day on the train and so I was looking out regardless. There is a rock(???) facility around Aromas which had some cool switchers and allowed for great views of the train (especially from the very end). Salinas was another quick smoke break, and it was either here or at SLO where I saw our TA yell at someone for getting on without him giving them their seat assignment. It’s been a week, so I may not remember super well, but I think the TA just scuttled down the platform shouting as the passenger boarded, and then the conductor got the passenger and handled things more professionally.

After Salinas, I stayed in the SSL which was surprisingly busy This was due to, in part, the fact that there were Trails & Rails volunteers on board. Our TA had reserved an entire table for himself in the SSL and was on his phone, despite there being many empty seats in coach. I found it particularly annoying that it was on the ocean side too. Anyways, I was eavesdropping on a lady in coach asking two sleeper passengers about how the sleeping car experience worked and did interject, adding my two cents. She was taking the train for the good ocean view, and hogged a seat in the SSL the entire day with stuff saving her spot when she wasn’t there. Wasn’t a fan of that, but she was sweet. Going through the Salinas Valley was nice (I do prefer the Willamette Valley though), and the volunteers did add some nice information about the tunnels we passed through.

A bit before Paso Robles I had lunch which consisted of cafe mac and cheese and a leftover butter cake from the day before – It was a solid lunch, and I would recommend the Mac and Cheese. The scenery changed a little into more hills with more trees, and I was enjoying it (and entering another very relaxed state). There is something about being on a train rolling through a valley that really does it for me. The Starlight does have an interesting vibe between SLO and San Jose though. It’s very mellow, almost sleepy. Passengers had been chatting in the car earlier around the Bay, and now it was quiet. After Paso Robles, the Cuesta Grade was really nice. I think it’s a real highlight of the Starlight, as the endless yellow hills are pretty cool and different from most scenery you see on Amtrak. Not to mention, the curves offer great views of the train. On the grade, we passed northbound #14, and the curves allowed us to see it in full view across the valley as we approached. The horseshoe curve is also amazing (Amtrak’s best one IMO – sorry Big Ten!) and we were soon in SLO. I’ve been to SLO a few times, and it’s such a charming town and station. While we were there the Surfliner that would become 794 came out of the yard, ready to pull into the station. I checked it out from the platform as I knew I’d be boarding it down in LAX (or so I thought).

Starlight/Surfliner SLO-LAX-FUL:

Soon, we were back on our way and I went to the SSL to get a good seat for the ocean. Between SLO and Grover Beach, the train goes through a lot of trees and I really like it. The trees often hit the side of the train and it’s a cool feeling to be that close to them. More (and I believe different) Trails & Rails volunteers were in the SSL now, and they were talking more. They did have some difficulty with their speaker, but eventually, they got it working. At first, I wasn’t interested, but as the day went on I actually really enjoyed their talks. Between SLO and the Coast isn’t too interesting scenery-wise, but it’s pleasant, and I have driven through sections several times so it’s cool to see the train POV. About an hour after SLO, as we were going through Vandenburg Space Force base, the ocean came into view. It was cool to see ICBM launch sites and other military infrastructure which were pointed out by the volunteers. I had never paid too much attention to them before. The scene along the ocean at first wasn’t that pretty due to overcast, which I was bummed to see as the last few times I had been on the Starlight it was overcast as well. Luckily, it cleared up not too long afterward. Usually I don’t mind the coast views, but I don’t love them as I’m a native Californian and am very used to the beach. However on this day, something clicked and I was duly impressed by the coastal views. The clear sky just made it a perfect sight, and we even saw some dolphins. Learning about local history and wildlife from the volunteers added to it. The SSL was pretty full at this point, with people enjoying the talk and the views (including a cute dog!). The volunteers, I may add, were all elderly but very kind and very informative. Although one of them did say “right side,” when he meant left side – he had been looking to HIS right while looking out the left-hand side and subsequently confused everyone.

At Point Conception, we came to a stop as there was a switch aligned for a siding. The dispatcher lost control of it, so the conductor went out to flip it, only to find out he couldn’t (I think he didn’t have a key?). I figured this all out through my scanner – the crew remained silent on the announcements. Luckily, we were only stopped about 20 minutes and were on our way soon.

As we got closer to Santa Barbara, we went over multiple trestles which are always super impressive. I was impressed with the speed as we got closer to Goleta; I forgot that the trains do reach 79 around there. We sped into Santa Barbara and the Trails & Rails Volunteers said goodbye (They had taken 14 up to SLO, and 11 back I believe) – they did receive a round of applause before they left. We were a bit late and came into Santa Barbara exactly when 794 was supposed to be there, and I believe a lot of people meant for 794 got on by mistake. I do know at least two women did, as they walked through the SSL and I asked if they needed something. They were looking for Business class and were headed to Camarillo (The Starlight doesn’t have business and does not stop at Camarillo), and I told them they were on the wrong train and would have to get off immediately, which they did. A lot of people came into the SSL at Santa Barbara so I think they were meant for 794, but wasn’t sure. I have no idea why the TA was not at the door making sure, as I had heard the conductor even mention on the radio that he was aware that people would be thinking we were 794. There were a LOT of people on the platform waiting for 794.

After we left Santa Barbara, the sun really started setting, which made for truly stunning views over the ocean. It was a bit of a sad moment as we turned inland at Ventura, as it not only meant that the views were over, but that we were officially getting into the LA Metro. Again, the consistently high speeds pleasantly surprised me (and continued to all the way until Burbank). It was about this time I started hearing bad news about 794 on my scanner. They were at Carpinteria, and the train was having trouble gaining traction. I even heard it being described as being “dead in the water” which was not great. I got some text-updates from Amtrak, notifying us of the delay. As we were cruising through Moorpark, 794 was well over an hour late already and had no signs of moving, so I was expecting a late train or a bus (if they couldn’t get it moving). But I didn’t want to worry about it too much till in LA, and so I didn’t. At Simi Valley the cafe and the SSL closed, and I had went back to my seat a few minutes prior to get packed up (although there wasn’t too much to get packed) while we stopped for 785 to pass. Leaving the SSL for what may be the final time for a while was a sad moment for me, the trip was truly coming to an end. The final stops into Los Angeles were quick, and we arrived into LA just a few minutes late. At all the smoke breaks I had been too scared to go up and take pictures of the engine and car numbers (which I like to document), so I took advantage and did so once we stopped. I had done the 11-796 (794’s predecessor) connection twice before, so I knew it was a cross-platform connection and took a bench and waited. There was a comet set with a dash-8 waiting on the elusive track 15 which was cool.

Around this time, we got a text from Amtrak saying there would be a separate, on-time section of 794 operated south of LAX. I had thought that this might happen, and it was a relief for it to actually happen. What wasn’t a relief was the text that came a few minutes later, saying 794’s approximate arrival into LAX was now 11:40 PM. With the conflicting messaging, I tried to find a staff member to verify which one was true. An employee that had been on the platform was nowhere to be found, and so I went down into the tunnel to find an employee. I did see that the departure board for a track displayed train #2 despite the Sunset not being scheduled for that night, which was funny. Luckily, I did also see two conductors coming down the tunnel. I asked if they were 794’s crew and one said yes without looking at me. I then asked for clarification about 794 and the guy replied, without looking at me again, that it was still dead, and kept walking. They were headed to the platform though, and so I was very confused. I don’t know why he felt that that was a good response, and I think any non-railfan would be confused by it. Despite being confused, I definitely didn’t want to talk to him again, so I went to the other conductor he was walking with and asked. She was kinder and just told me that they’ll say when we should head to the platform (as there had been a track change which an employee came around and notified us of). I don’t know if it was that they didn’t know or were just answering in a very unhelpful manner, but I was still pretty confused. I did went back to the platform with the now out-of-service Starlight (where OBS were still on board cleaning up, much to my surprise considering how fast the Zephyr was out at Emeryville), where the other half of my party still was. On my scanner, I had heard that the conductors I had spoken to were trying to clear the Surfliner set they were setting up. Apparently they had accidentally re-opened the doors and a bunch of people boarded. I went over to the new track and found them to be boarding. I think they were going to kick them off, but too many had boarded already so they just started boarding.

When we boarded, I still was not sure if we were going to depart on time or not, as nobody had clarified it. But shortly before our scheduled departure time of 10:10, a different conductor came on and told us we would be on time. This conductor’s appearance, voice, and method of talking reminded me of Brad – he was pretty friendly and actually seemed happy to interact with people. I was glad to find out we were on time. I do love extra train time, but it had been a long day and it was the last leg. As we slowly started moving, the nice conductor saw someone running down the platform and told them to hurry. Unfortunately, we were gaming speed and the other conductors didn’t notice them, so we had to leave them behind. The nice conductor did get on the external PA to say “Sorry, next train!” to the passenger. At this time I had been waiting nearby because I wanted to ask him what would happen to the original 794, and after this I told him I had a question. Much to my annoyance he walked by me without acknowledging me and started collecting tickets. I just sat down in my seat, and when he got to me he asked what question I had. He said they would probably get bussed south of LA. I appreciate that he answered my question, but being completely ignored at first definitely wasn’t great. The ride down to Fullerton was quick and easy, and we arrived on time. Getting off the train and leaving the station, again, was sad for me. Despite not being perfect, I really enjoyed this trip and was sad to have it end.

If you made it this far thanks. I loved the trip. After riding the Zephyr, I definitely understand the hype and definitely agree with it being the most scenic train. No other train even competes IMO. Although, the Starlight’s coast views are great. Every single Amtrak employee I interacted with, minus Brad, was average and pretty indifferent. I still loved the whole trip, and can’t wait for my next train adventure.

Some photos

Attachments

• IMG_3525.jpeg
    IMG_3525.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3430.jpeg
    IMG_3430.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3385.jpeg
    IMG_3385.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3197.jpeg
    IMG_3197.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3213.jpeg
    IMG_3213.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3042.jpeg
    IMG_3042.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2891.jpeg
    IMG_2891.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2859.jpeg
    IMG_2859.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2812.jpeg
    IMG_2812.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2538.jpeg
    IMG_2538.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
our SCA announced that all the downstairs restrooms were broken due to paper towels being flushed and clogging the HVAC system
Very enjoyable! I was a little disturbed by this, however. Is the HVAC on a train different than the HVAC in a building?
Do they need a sign to keep people from not doing what could obviously be a big problem?

our SCA announced that all the downstairs restrooms were broken due to paper towels being flushed and clogging the HVAC system
The vacuum system in the toilet waste disposal has nothing to do with the HVAC (Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning) system Someone is very confused about what is what. ;) Flushed paper towel clogs the vacuum system used to flush the toilets. It has no effect on the HVAC system.

The vacuum system in the toilet waste disposal has nothing to do with the HVAC (Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning) system Someone is very confused about what is what. ;) Flushed paper towel clogs the vacuum system used to flush the toilets. It has no effect on the HVAC system.
Whoops. Either the SCA was wrong or I misheard him. (I was a bit wary but I was like ehh ventilation and the suction may go together). Point is, toilets no work.

Thanks for a very detailed report, I can tell you definitely love trains!

I guess we have all met staff on our travels who behave unkindly, for whatever reason.

Maybe just having to do the same type of work day after day does not suit some staff?

A shame when that happens, as I feel that the people I meet on my trips often are the key to a memorable or otherwise journey.

The vacuum system in the toilet waste disposal has nothing to do with the HVAC (Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning) system[.]
I believe you, but the moment it clogs you can smell sewage vapors through the HVAC vents. The cars were never designed to hold bio waste and were retrofitted with a collection system that is somehow worse than the trap doors it replaced. It seems like it would be simpler, cheaper, and cleaner to control when toilets could be opened and flushed rather than hoarding all bio waste indefinitely. 🤷‍♂️

I believe you, but the moment it clogs you can smell sewage vapors through the HVAC vents. The cars were never designed to hold bio waste and were retrofitted with a collection system that is somehow worse than the trap doors it replaced. It seems like it would be simpler, cheaper, and cleaner to control when toilets could be opened and flushed rather than hoarding all bio waste indefinitely. 🤷‍♂️
I hope they don't hoard it indefinitely! I suspect they pump out the tanks at the end of the run when they turn the tre train. At least, I hope that's what they do.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Brad, the Conductor from the Zephyr, made his last trip this week and has now retired.
I am so glad I went when I did then. I was on the Zephyr from the 14th to the 16th, so that might have been his second to last run,

A shame when that happens, as I feel that the people I meet on my trips often are the key to a memorable or otherwise journey.
Definitely agree. I was fine with all the staff's mellow attitudes except the last conductor on the Surfliner. Not even stopping his stride to answer my question, and answering it so unclearly? Surely he knows that many Starlight passengers connect to 794, and either way any passenger deserves to know what's going on. He actually made me pretty mad

Also the original 794 ended up getting into LA at 2 or 3 AM, 4+ hours late.

Two systems, HVAC (Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning) and DVW (Drain Waste and Vent). He either said or meant to say DVW. You heard or thought you heard HVAC. My guess is that the error was his.

The horseshoe curve is also amazing (Amtrak’s best one IMO – sorry Big Ten!) and we were soon in SLO.
One time I was going north around this curve, and a lady asked what that big building down there was. I told her it was a prison, the California Men's Colony, and she said sort of angrily that they shouldn't put prisons where people could see them, because they spoiled the view.

I hope they don't hoard it indefinitely! I suspect they pump out the tanks at the end of the run when they turn the tre train. At least, I hope that's what they do.
Yup. Pumped out into little wheel mounted tank carts colloquially called "Honey Wagons".

Back