Heartland Flyer getting bashed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The "Passenger Rail Oklahoma" Facebook page has a discussion on these events. They are a dedicated group of passenger rail advocates but do hold Amtrak accountable when things go really wrong. Here is what they say Amtrak media relations said:

...Whatever their reasons for travel, the 118 passengers on last night’s train north of Ardmore are important to us and we regret disappointing them due to a series of factors that led to the extreme delay.

--
Looks like the original estimate that there were 600 passengers on board was a bit optimistic.
That's because everyone is making the same mistake over and over again that this was the "football train" when in fact it wasn't. 118 passengers is probably closer

to a typical Sat evening load.

Wait, if the HF uses Superliner Coaches then it should not be that bad.
It uses superliner coaches, but sitting all night getting in around 6 AM instead of 9:30 PM is bad regardless of what you're on!

Appears it was the major storm system that caused all the fun, blocking the line with downed trees and possibly hitting the engine with lightning taking it out of commission. Not amtraks fault but stil glad I wasn't on it!

And again as was said, this was NOT the football train, just the normal flyer which explains the pax count. Thank goodness it WASN'T the football train!

Wait, if the HF uses Superliner Coaches then it should not be that bad.
It uses superliner coaches, but sitting all night getting in around 6 AM instead of 9:30 PM is bad regardless of what you're on!

Appears it was the major storm system that caused all the fun, blocking the line with downed trees and possibly hitting the engine with lightning taking it out of commission. Not amtraks fault but stil glad I wasn't on it!

And again as was said, this was NOT the football train, just the normal flyer which explains the pax count. Thank goodness it WASN'T the football train!
Well, then it would not have been avoidable. If I would be sutck in the middle of the night anywhere I would prefer a Superliner over a car or bus!

Although there could have been some Sooner supporters on Saturday nights train, this evenings train is more likely to have OU fans, since thats the way it was marketed.
There also could have been some Oklahoma residents on board, but most likely only had people who weren't from Texas.

Well, then it would not have been avoidable. If I would be sutck in the middle of the night anywhere I would prefer a Superliner over a car or bus!
IF you are a railnut like most of us here. If you're just a plain ol' passenger who struggled between taking your own car, The Dog, flying, or Amtrak, I'm guessing that for about 100 of those 118 passengers on board will limit their choices to the first three next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only this morning did the Oklahoma City newspaper, which has turned into a fairly inept operation, report the story! They claimed the Crew and train went dead on a siding a few miles north of the Norman station and pax were allowed to bail when that happened, although they were warned of that prior to the Norman stop. And according to the article no complimentary snacks or beverages were offered. The Flyer is suppose to carry Service Recovery Kits and it appears the parameters for their deployment were easily met.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only this morning did the Oklahoma City newspaper, which has turned into a fairly inept operation, report the story! They claimed the Crew and train went dead on a siding a few miles north of the Norman station and pax were allowed to bail when that happened, although they were warned of that prior to the Norman stop. And according to the article no complimentary snacks or beverages were offered. The Flyer is suppose to carry Service Recovery Kits and it appears the parameters for their deployment were easily met.
NewsOK

I've been on aircraft that were hit with lightening and all that happened was that the lights flickered and dimmed for a moment and the airflow slowed briefly. Other than that it was a complete non-event. It seems odd that a mere lightening strike would be able to completely disable a modern passenger locomotive. Does this happen to freight locomotives as well?

Looking at that statement, this seems to have been a "Murphy's Law" situation. Really, it looks like they were able to do most of what could be done.

Looking at that statement, this seems to have been a "Murphy's Law" situation. Really, it looks like they were able to do most of what could be done.
I agree...but I do wonder if Amtrak would offer free tickets to the 118 passengers who had such a horrible experience, some of whom may have been first time riders. Rail fans don't care about being stuck on a train in the middle of nowhere but most Amtrak riders use the service to get from A to B somewhere reasonably close to the timetable.

The low bucket fare OKC to FTW is $26. That's only $3000 and a true drop in the bucket that may help some customers decide to give Amtrak another try in the future.

Give me engine failure on a train over engine failure on an airplane anytime. An airplane is not grounded while flying,a train is on steel rails.
I guess that's why railroad engines fail (I'm guessing, here) more than 1000 times more often than airplane engines do.

Although there could have been some Sooner supporters on Saturday night’s train, this evening’s train is more likely to have OU fans, since that’s the way it was marketed.
There also could have been some Oklahoma residents on board, but most likely only had people who weren't from Texas.

IF you are a railnut like most of us here.
Speak for yourself. I am a railnut too but I would sure as heck NOT enjoy the experience of sitting in a coach seat, Superliner or otherwise, in a stationary train in the dark of the night with no scenery to enjoy, all night long and arriving over 9 hours delayed, in addition to the 6-odd hours the slowly ambling train takes to cover a distance that can be driven in a little over 3 hours. A nine hour delay is bad even on a 50 hour Empire Builder journey, but putting things in perspective, a 3 hour drive taking 15 hours by train is going to **** off anyone, including moi railnut. I really hope Amtrak does offer them refund of their ticket money or a voucher for free future travel on the Flyer.

Give me engine failure on a train over engine failure on an airplane anytime. An airplane is not grounded while flying,a train is on steel rails.
When modern aircraft are hit by lightening they simply discharge the energy into the air around them through static wicks located on the trailing edge of the wings. Over time some of the wicks may become weakened or even fall off and need to be replaced, but that's about the extent of the harm lightening can do to a modern commercial aircraft. I had always assumed that lightening was a similarly minor issue for modern locomotives as well, although that may not be the case after reading about this incident.

Aircraft aren't connected to ground by steel wheels running on steel rails.

When lightning strikes the aircraft, the charge stays on the outside of the aircraft, away from all of the important bits (including the passengers).

When lightning strikes a locomotive, the charge goes through the wheels, axles, possibly the traction motors, cables, etc, etc, etc. All manner of things can get screwed up that way.

I agree...but I do wonder if Amtrak would offer free tickets to the 118 passengers who had such a horrible experience, some of whom may have been first time riders. Rail fans don't care about being stuck on a train in the middle of nowhere but most Amtrak riders use the service to get from A to B somewhere reasonably close to the timetable.
I've no idea just what exactly Amtrak will give the passengers, but it is clear that Amtrak wants to offer them something, since all the stories that I've seen on this to date all say that passengers on this train should call Amtrak Customer service.

If Amtrak were not prepared to offer them something by way of compensation, then the media people would not be making that statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back