Hello.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning all. Just quick hello since I’m new here. Also hoping someone can answer a question for me. I am taking the California Zepher in May to Sacramento to catch the Coast Starlight to Seattle. According to the schedule, I should get into Sacramento at 3:05 p.m. The Starlight should pull into Sacramento at 11:49 p.m. Now we all know that the C. Z. is notorious for running late. Because there is a window of at least 8 hours between my arrival and departure times, I’m hoping to be able to not have to get a hotel room In Sacramento. My question is has anyone here done this transfer? Am I crazy for taking the chance of the C. Z. being more than 8 hours late and not making my connection? Thanks!

Welcome! Glad you're here.

https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/history.php
I like to use Juckins's website for tracking delay history. Put in your train number (#5) and station (SAC) and you can see how often in the past few months the train has been late. Looks like in the past month there's only been two times it was over 8 hours late.

Also worth noting that if you booked the CZ and CS in one itinerary, it's a guaranteed connection and Amtrak will find you the next train (or book a hotel for you) in a worst case if you miss it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 8.58.55 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 8.58.55 AM.png
    461.9 KB
Back