How do I get from HPN airport to Stamford amtrak station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marina

Hello guys I will be arriving to the HPN airport around 3pm and trying to catch the closest amtrak train station to go to my final destination DC. I don't know if I should go to Stamford or New Rochelle? Any help will be greatly appreciate it!

Thank you

Marina

I'd definitely plan on Stamford from the White Plains Airport, closer, virtually every Amtrak train stops there and there is a ticket office in the event of a missed connection. Make your you book an Amtrak ticket way in advance for the lowest fare.

New Rochelle is heading in the right direction but has quite limited service.

Thank you so much! What would you recommend to take from the HPN airport to the Stamford station?

I was going to suggest that except the Route 12 bus is, only every hour and going via White Plains is quite circuitous.

I might inquire with Shuttle Companies and see if any exist that might be reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a bus (route 12) from the airport that can take you to downtown White Plains where the I-bus can take you to Stamford.
Thank you so much! Do you have any idea how long it will take me? From the airport to the Stamford station? And where do I transfer to the ibus? Do you have info on method of payments? Thanks again

Marina

I was going to suggest that except the Route 12 bus is, only every hour and going via White Plains is quite circuitous.

I might inquire with Shuttle Companies and see if any exist that might be reasonable.
Thank you so much! Time won't be a prob with my itinerary, I already purchased my ticket departing from Stamford and leaves at 6.30pm so I have 3 hours to get there from the airport any info on prices will be awesome!

Thanks again!

I'm sure I join others in wishing you the best of luck in this connection, but it does strike me as a rather odd choice to make to fly

into HPN and catch an Amtrak train to DC. A three-hour connection is doable if your flight arrives on time, but if it's

running late you are risking an expensive cab ride in order to catch the train, or having to mess with changing your Amtrak

ticket (which will invariably involve costing you more money not to mention an additional 2+ hours in Stamford).

There is a bus (route 12) from the airport that can take you to downtown White Plains where the I-bus can take you to Stamford.
Thank you so much! Do you have any idea how long it will take me? From the airport to the Stamford station? And where do I transfer to the ibus? Do you have info on method of payments? Thanks again

Marina
The schedules are in the links provided and the times you need depend on whether you are coming on a weekday/end though you probably shouldn't have any trouble connecting to the buses and your train either way.

Another option would be to take the aforementioned Route 12 Bus to downtown White Plains, then take a Metro North train into Grand Central, then transfer to Penn Station for an Amtrak train south to DC. Trains leave very frequently from White Plains to GCT. I know you said you already purchased your ticket but this may be the most cost effective way that gives you the greatest flexibility.

Make sure you consult the 12's schedule and have the possible departure times mapped, the buses connect at the White Plains Trans Center, at the Metro-North Station, a large bus hub like those found in the downtown's of most cities (the last stop on the 12), they also take similar routes through in/out of White Plains making some of the same stops going to and from Downtown White Plains so you will be backtracking a bit. I'd tell the bus driver when you board that your transferring to the I-Bus and see if they tell you about a closer stop. (that would require crossing the street).

Bee Line is $2.50 payable with COINS ONLY (or a swipe on a NYC Subway/Bus MetroCard, that are also accepted on Westchester Bee-Line) ask for a paper transfer.

I-Bus (I've linked to its website, its a route that has its completely own) is $2.60 (until 1/18/14) when it will go up to $3, CT Transit that runs the route accepts dollar bills but exact change is required. Show the driver your paper transfer from Bee-Line, it might give you a discount/free. I know Bee-Line and CT Transit have some reciprocity (the I-Bus website says its transfers are acceptable on Bee-Line) but I don't know how I-Bus accepts Bee-Line Transfers.

My advice is to make sure you have 3 dollars in coins on you (golden dollar coins are accepted) and $3 in bills to be completely covered. (more coins if your traveling before 1/18 and I-Bus fare is slightly awkward, dime required $2.60 fare).

(For the historical record: There used to be a direct Bee-Line Bus Shuttle called Airlink from the White Plains TransCenter to the Airport but it was discontinued in 2010, in my mind I thought it still existed).

People do way stranger things and hope that it will all work out. So why not this one, which is not even close to some of the Rube Goldberg schemes I have seen cooked up by well meaning people.
Hopefully the OP can return and let us know how it worked out for her.

Back