How to detrain early

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

searevita

Tomorrow we are taking EB from MSP to SEA. Actually, we are going to Victoria BC. When we bought tickets we was not avare about ferry schedules in the area. Right now our best shot to get to Victoria the same day is to detrain in Edm and take ferry from Port Angeles. Can we check our luggage to Edm instead of Sea?

How are you getting from Edmonds to Port Angeles?? It's WAAAYY across the sound...

How are you getting from Edmonds to Port Angeles?? It's WAAAYY across the sound...
We are walking to Edmonds-Kingston ferry and taking taxi from Kingston to Port Angeles to make 2 p.m. seiling to Victoria. If EB will be late we'll rent a car and go to B.C. Ferrys. It's the best rout time and moneywize we come up with

Edmonds-Kingston ferry
I go to KIN (Kingston, RI) and NEVER knew it had a ferry! (Maybe if I didn't spend so much time at the train station!)
laugh.gif

mosking.gif
mosking.gif
mosking.gif

Why not just change your ticket to EDMONDS, then you don't have to play this little sneaky game.
How to change the tickets? Do I need to print them first at the kiosk and bring them to the ticketing agent? Is it safe to change it? I dont want to loose our reservations at the last moment.

I have detrained in Newark, NJ on a ticket that terminates in New York.

I have been able to check my luggage to Newark instead of New York without difficulty.

I have detrained in Newark, NJ on a ticket that terminates in New York.

I have been able to check my luggage to Newark instead of New York without difficulty.
Thank you! I am starting to get very nervous about our travel.

Are you planning on making a same day connection from the train to the ferry/cruise? If so, you may want to consider changing your plans if possible to add in an extra day of flex time to make this connection. The Empire Builder has been running rather late some days (sometimes several hours+) in the past month due to the weather. This way instead of being stressed about missing your connection you can relax and enjoy the trip!

Are you planning on making a same day connection from the train to the ferry/cruise? If so, you may want to consider changing your plans if possible to add in an extra day of flex time to make this connection. The Empire Builder has been running rather late some days (sometimes several hours+) in the past month due to the weather. This way instead of being stressed about missing your connection you can relax and enjoy the trip!
If we will miss conection we have plan B - we will rent a car and go to different ferry. Staying overnight is plan C. I will feel relaxed as soon as we will be on the train, but we stil have 6 hours drive to Minneapolis in winter weather ahead of us

Edmonds, WA is staffed for all trains and has checked baggage service. It is the station I use the most.

I hope you know it is LONG way from Kingston to Port Angeles, over 60 miles, and would be a VERY expensive taxi ride.

Since you obviously won't have a car, and so won't need a car ferry, why don't you just take the Victoria Clipper out of Seattle? It isn't particularly cheap, but probably cheaper than that cab ride. I think you can even buy the ticket from Amtrak, I know they sold them at one time, although you can't purchase it as a connection, since the Victoria Clipper dock isn't the same place as King Street Station.

Another, less good option, you can get ticketed directly to Vancouver BC from MSP, which uses a connecting a Thruway bus to get up to Vancouver. There is regular bus service from the train/bus station in Vancouver to Victoria, as frequently as hourly, I think. Either option is probably better than taking a cab from Kingston to Port Angeles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edmonds, WA is staffed for all trains and has checked baggage service. It is the station I use the most.

I hope you know it is LONG way from Kingston to Port Angeles, over 60 miles, and would be a VERY expensive taxi ride.

Since you obviously won't have a car, and so won't need a car ferry, why don't you just take the Victoria Clipper out of Seattle? It isn't particularly cheap, but probably cheaper than that cab ride. I think you can even buy the ticket from Amtrak, I know they sold them at one time, although you can't purchase it as a connection, since the Victoria Clipper dock isn't the same place as King Street Station.

Another, less good option, you can get ticketed directly to Vancouver BC from MSP, which uses a connecting a Thruway bus to get up to Vancouver. There is regular bus service from the train/bus station in Vancouver to Victoria, as frequently as hourly, I think. Either option is probably better than taking a cab from Kingston to Port Angeles.

Zephyr 17 The Victoria Clipper wont work for them as it leaves about 2 hours before the EB pulls into Seattle. Their best bet would be the Amtrak Thruway bus leaving Seattle not long after their train arrives and then doing BC Ferry to Victoria from Vancouver. I also personally would advise against their original plan as said it is a long taxi ride to Port Angeles and some very iffy connections timewise. Not to mention the buses operated for Amtrak to Vancouver are guaranteed connections (If you change your ticket to Vancouver BC) and very nice luxury motorcoaches. Not greyhound by any means. The BC Ferries are also nice as well nicer than the Washington State ferries IMHO.

Mark

Zephyr 17 The Victoria Clipper wont work for them as it leaves about 2 hours before the EB pulls into Seattle. Their best bet would be the Amtrak Thruway bus leaving Seattle not long after their train arrives and then doing BC Ferry to Victoria from Vancouver. I also personally would advise against their original plan as said it is a long taxi ride to Port Angeles and some very iffy connections timewise. Not to mention the buses operated for Amtrak to Vancouver are guaranteed connections (If you change your ticket to Vancouver BC) and very nice luxury motorcoaches. Not greyhound by any means. The BC Ferries are also nice as well nicer than the Washington State ferries IMHO.

Mark
Thanks, didn't check the Victoria Clipper schedule. Thought there was more than one sailing, but that may just be in the summer (or I may be wrong entirely). Agree that if that doesn't work, best option would be to go to Vancouver. They should be able to get a bus, since they'd be at Pacific Central Station anyway,and I know there is bus service (and the bus, needless to say, does take BC Ferries). That way they wouldn't have to make their own way to Tswassen or Horseshoe Bay.

If they want to spend the money, there is also the Kenmore Air floatplane service from Lake Union.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back