Hurricane Milton

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any info about the Seminole Gulf RR? Didn't they just finish repairs from IAN? Of course, we have our do-nothing congress not going into session to provide necessary funds to FEMA and Small Business Administration.

Does your building have a Generator Penny,?

News saying over 2 Million still without Power in Florida!
My building has a generator that controls one elevator, water pump that can pump water to upper floors, stairwell lights, security cameras, one outlet in rec room, lobby lights on each floor. The generator is not connected to anything in individual units.

My building has a generator that controls one elevator, water pump that can pump water to upper floors, stairwell lights, security cameras, one outlet in rec room, lobby lights on each floor. The generator is not connected to anything in individual units.
Not try to shade your 13 hours without power, but it sounds like your building has a good setup for emergency power. The only thing missing is do your windows open?

Ideally the emergency generator powering each units refrigerator is another wishlist item.

However it’s a good setup which could be advertised as a storm ready building. Not that people even think to ask when looking for a condo.

Penny, glad you got through OK and power is back up. We have different issues where I am, planned power outages for fire prevention, unplanned when power grid can't handle all the air conditioners, so got a battery system to power computers and frig. It worked so well we replaced a generator with another battery for the freezer in the garage. There are numerous brands and capacities, mine are Bluetti.

Not try to shade your 13 hours without power, but it sounds like your building has a good setup for emergency power. The only thing missing is do your windows open?

Ideally the emergency generator powering each units refrigerator is another wishlist item.

However it’s a good setup which could be advertised as a storm ready building. Not that people even think to ask when looking for a condo.
Yes, I believe my building has a good setup. I lived in the same building during 2004 when we were hit with 4 hurricanes. Then, the generator failed to operate an elevator, was not hooked up to the water pump nor electrical outlets. (residents on floors 8-17 had no running water and all residents had to walk up and down stairs). Since then, the generator was replaced and is tested every week by staff. It was checked a day before the storm by a technician from the generator company.

The windows in individual units do open, but we were told not to open during the storm because of the pressure. Also, the wind was quite strong and rain was coming down in sheets - sometimes horizonatally. After the worst of the storm passed, and Milton had left Florida, we could open our windows and let in fairly cool air.
The lobby is enclosed by glass, with no windows that open. The recreation room is below the lobby (on the level of the underground parking garage) with no windows.

Because there are 170 units in the condo building, I do not think it is feasible for every refrigerator to be connected to this or any future generator. There were no complaints about the operation of the generator, advance preparation by staff, work of onsite security during the storm, and efforts of the volunteer hurricane committee during and after the storm.

One of wife's son who lives in downtown Orlando still no power. His gasoline generator only running intermittently due to lack of gasoline.
From what I have heard, the power is back on (or was never lost) in the core downtown area. However, some of areas just outside downtown (like Audubon Park in 32803) were still without power this morning.

Back