Impressions from an outsider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post, so hello to you all! I live in Sweden, and train travel here is relatively more large than in the US. The main operator SJ alone had approx 26 million sold train tickets in 2005, and this in a country of 9 million people.

During my last visit to the US in december I got to travel on Amtrak, even though it wasn't planned. I thought maybe a comparison between the Swedish and American railroad could interest someone.

I arrived at Newark airport (EWR), and had planned to go on to Washington DC (DCA), but for some reason that flight was cancelled, so we were given tickets for the regional train to Washington union station. To start with I was pleasantly surprised of the cleanliness of the station and platform. Our train was supposed to leave at 4:28PM, but was delayed appox 30min due to signal problems, or so the loudspeakers told us. This is where some confusion started. Our train was listed on the monitors on the platform at the track we've been told, but many trains came and went during our wait. Many trains from NJT (if I recall correctly), and obviosly those were not for us. But, several Amtrak trains also came and they were not clearly labelled for where they were going. If we were lucky a conductor would yell out the train destination, but it seemed to be a hit-and-miss type of doing business. Swedish trains are always marked with their final destination (though not often with the train number, but that is usually redundant information).

When our train finally came, we didn't actually know it at first, but through some sort of majority decision of the people on the platform we decided to board anyway (we were a bunch from the cancelled flight), and luckily it was the right train.

The comfort onboard the train was good, I would say about on par with swedish regional trains. The speed, however, was less than impressive. I know the reasons are mostly outside the control of Amtrak though. Standard swedish trains usually travel at 100mph maximum (and can hold that speed for the most part), while the high speed trains go up to 125mph (however even the new regional trains go up to 125mph in Sweden now).

The station announcements were another source for confusion. The train driver made announcements that were so muted that they were basically unreadable. The conductor usually came in afterwards and repeated them in a much clearer voice. Not at every stop though, and we actually got off at New Carrolton by mistake due to the confusion. We soon realised our mistake though and got on the train again before it left.

So to summarize: I have wanted to travel on trains in the US for some time, and this was an unexpected chance. I plan to to it again in the future, but then on a longer cross contry journey.

The station areas were much cleaner and actually felt safer than in Sweden. I think this may have to do with the fact that only passengers with tickets were let through to the track area. In Sweden anyone has access to the tracks and platforms.

The trains were about on par, comfortwise.

The speed was much less than that of swedish trains.

The signs on the trains should be improved so that the train destination and train number can be read on every car.

Any comments? :)

/ Magnus

Swede, unfortunately the PA is a major issue on the Single Level fleet. No one in management has had the sense to fix the problem, say for an emergency situation, but many times the PA is completely useless, and there's nothing the Conductors can do about it (also, you will likely never hear an Engineer on the PA stateside, always the Conductor or Assistant Conductor). As far as the speed goes trains on the Northeast corridor are capable of speeds of up to 150 MPH (that being the Acela fleet, they typically cruise at 135 MPH though). The type of train you were on was capable and did achieve 125 MPH for a good portion of the trip, however the Regionals are forced to slow down for some curves, so this hurts the overall time of the trip. As far as signage goes, at most Amtrak stations on corridor there is an electronic sign at the gate to the platform indicating the trains number and destination. Based on what you've said it seems as though this is not the case at Newark Airport. Glad you had a decent trip, and hopefully they can work out some kinks by the time you come over next. Hopefully

Ok, I wasn't aware that they were that fast. Perhaps I have to revise my opinion on the speed. It was dark and I was very tired after the flight from Sweden (and I didn't get a window seat), so it was difficult to estimate the speed.

Anyway, my impressions were generally positive.

Welcome Magnus.
ciao.gif

I too am a bit surprised about the lack of information at the Newark Airport station, especially since that is a relatively new station, I believe that it's only been open about 5 years now or so. That newness also helps to explain the cleanliness and the safety factor that you felt.

Had you boarded the train just a few miles to the east at Newark's Penn Station your observations and no doubt your opinions would have been vastly different. That station is much older, in need of major repair, and anyone including bums can sometimes be found on the platforms. On the other hand, I suspect that you would have had far less confusion about which train was actually your's, since announcements are always made at this station in addition to the monitors. So it's really a matter of what station one happens to be boarding at, as to what conditions one might encounter.

One other factor at the airport station is that the station is only accesable via the trains themselves and the monorail (Newark AirTrain). There is normally no other form of public transportation to that station and one can't just drive one's car or walk to the station. So basically if someone is on the platform there, they either came via a train or plan to leave via a train, since there is no other option.

Turning to train identification, oddly enough Amtrak does put the train numbers on the cars for its long distance service (assuming that the crew actually remembers to change them to the correct number), but the short distance trains have no facility for displaying the name, the number, or the ultimate destination. One simply has to hope that there are correct announcements, signage on the platform, or find a conductor to confirm. I guess most of us are just used to this idea now.

Oddly enough though, most of those NJT commuter trains that passed you should have had their destinations dispalyed on the cars. So we do it for them, but not for Amtrak. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Finally as Battalion mentioned, you were definately cruising along much faster than what you perceived in the darkness. Yes, some areas the train does slow considerable for big curves and/or bridges, but there were many sections where you were moving at 125 MPH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Magnus.
ciao.gif

I too am a bit surprised about the lack of information at the Newark Airport station, especially since that is a relatively new station, I believe that it's only been open about 5 years now or so. That newness also helps to explain the cleanliness and the safety factor that you felt.

Had you boarded the train just a few miles to the east at Newark's Penn Station your observations and no doubt your opinions would have been vastly different. That station is much older, in need of major repair, and anyone including bums can sometimes be found on the platforms. On the other hand, I suspect that you would have had far less confusion about which train was actually your's, since announcements are always made at this station in addition to the monitors. So it's really a matter of what station one happens to be boarding at, as to what conditions one might encounter.

One other factor at the airport station is that the station is only accesable via the trains themselves and the monorail (Newark AirTrain). There is normally no other form of public transportation to that station and one can't just drive one's car or walk to the station. So basically if someone is on the platform there, they either came via a train or plan to leave via a train, since there is no other option.

Turning to train identification, oddly enough Amtrak does put the train numbers on the cars for its long distance service (assuming that the crew actually remembers to change them to the correct number), but the short distance trains have no facility for displaying the name, the number, or the ultimate destination. One simply has to hope that there are correct announcements, signage on the platform, or find a conductor to confirm. I guess most of us are just used to this idea now.

Oddly enough though, most of those NJT commuter trains that passed you should have had their destinations dispalyed on the cars. So we do it for them, but not for Amtrak. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Finally as Battalion mentioned, you were definately cruising along much faster than what you perceived in the darkness. Yes, some areas the train does slow considerable for big curves and/or bridges, but there were many sections where you were moving at 125 MPH.

Just used Newark Penn station for about a week straight. Never saw any bums but a lot of New Jersey State troopers in their rather old fashioned distinctive uniforms in the lobby talking amongst themselves and doing absolutely no patrolling, at any time, of a rather large mega-complex for transportation which includes PATH, NJT, light rail, Greyhound as well as Amtrak.

Just used Newark Penn station for about a week straight. Never saw any bums but a lot of New Jersey State troopers in their rather old fashioned distinctive uniforms in the lobby talking amongst themselves and doing absolutely no patrolling, at any time, of a rather large mega-complex for transportation which includes PATH, NJT, light rail, Greyhound as well as Amtrak.
The presence of the state troopers had a lot to do with the absence of bums. However, having said this, I was a daily commuter through there for a couple of months about 10 years ago, and don't recall the bums being too numerous, but not completely absent, either.

Something that just occured to me. It is entirely possible and likely that the Conductors are aware of the lack of announcements at the Airport station which explains why they made their presence known, since typically the station attendants will do this for them. I know down here in Florida when arriving in unmanned stations most of the good Conductors will do this (and even at manned stations if they're really good).

New Jersey State Troopers are not assigned to rail/transportation complexes, that is why the were not "patrolling". The ones you saw were either waiting to board a NJT train (they ride for free in uniform) or were waiting for someone to come off. NJ "Transit" Police patrol Penn Station in Newark and light rail, not the troops. Amtrak police patrol AMTRAK. NJ/NY Port Authority Police patrol PATH. Norfolk Southern Police can also be found around the NJ rails, mostly freight, but they're there too. The NJ "Transit" Police that patrol Penn Station Newark utilyize a state of the art, spare no expense video security system that uses facial recognition as well as mathematical algorithims that predict criminal behavior and alert officers to be in the area when or sometimes before a crime occurs. Also, because of Newark's proximity to NYC, the NJT PD also use a number of plain clothes officers, some disguised as bums. Just because you didn't see any "patrolling", don't assume they're not.

(edited to fix quote. also deleted earlier unsuccessful quote/reply attempt, in order to clarify this thread - -AmtrakWPK)

Last edited:

New Jersey State Troopers are not assigned to rail/transportation complexes, that is why the were not "patrolling". The ones you saw were either waiting to board a NJT train (they ride for free in uniform) or were waiting for someone to come off. NJ "Transit" Police patrol Penn Station in Newark and light rail, not the troops. Amtrak police patrol AMTRAK. NJ/NY Port Authority Police patrol PATH. Norfolk Southern Police can also be found around the NJ rails, mostly freight, but they're there too. The NJ "Transit" Police that patrol Penn Station Newark utilyize a state of the art, spare no expense video security system that uses facial recognition as well as mathematical algorithims that predict criminal behavior and alert officers to be in the area when or sometimes before a crime occurs. Also, because of Newark's proximity to NYC, the NJT PD also use a number of plain clothes officers, some disguised as bums. Just because you didn't see any "patrolling", don't assume they're not.
While I can't speak with any certainty to what NJT and NJ troopers may or may not be required to do, I can tell you that NY State Police are definately used to patrol NY's Penn Station since 9/11. Granted they are usually found on the lower level which serves the LIRR, along with MTA police and National Guard troops. Whereas Amtrak police and the National Guard troops generally patrol the upper level, although in times of high security I've also seen NYC cops and NY Troopers helping out on the upper level.

I've also seen NY Troopers on Metro North and LIRR trains and they weren't just riding to/from their jobs, they were assigned to ride the trains. I also know that I've seen troopers from CT riding Metro North trains and I do seem to recall seeing some NJ troopers riding NJT trains as security, and not because they get a free ride.

So it wouldn't surprise me in these times of high security if those troopers at Newark were supposed to be on duty and were not just waiting for a train.

(edited to fix quote. also deleted earlier unsuccessful quote/reply attempt, in order to clarify this thread - -AmtrakWPK)

All I can say is they must have missed their train at Newark because the same officers were there at different times of the day.

I recently rode the train to Hoboken from the Broad Street station in Newark. It is the old DL&W station and is about a mile north of Penn Station. There were two state troopers who I conversed with and they said they were assigned to that station area. Maybe they just patrol NJT stations ???

The NJ "Transit" Police that patrol Penn Station Newark utilyize a state of the art, spare no expense video security system that uses facial recognition as well as mathematical algorithims that predict criminal behavior and alert officers to be in the area when or sometimes before a crime occurs.
"Precrime" lives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back