Iron Horse Society

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDiamond

Streetcar Motorman
AU Supporting Member
On a recent trip to Steamtown in Scranton PA I became aware of this organization. Its mission is to promote the railroad heritage of the Steamtown National Historical Site run by the US National Park Service. One of their fund raising efforts is to run excursion trains. Last Saturday my wife and I were on one such train, a trip to Moscow PA for a wine tasting event. This went off pretty well.

They have used their funds for various projects such as the renovation of some of Steamtown's collection which the NPS for budgetary reasons has not been able to address.

Here are a couple of photos showing the vintage locos that were used on our trip, and Alco Century 420 and an EMD F unit.
PXL_20240914_172539946.jpgPXL_20240914_174658226.jpg

The train had 2 classes of equipment, regular coach seating in ex Jersey Central coaches with open windows, and an air conditioned ex Erie Lackawanna coach which was the premium seating. Being such a nice day we elected to go with the open windows.

On a recent trip to Steamtown in Scranton PA I became aware of this organization. Its mission is to promote the railroad heritage of the Steamtown National Historical Site run by the US National Park Service. One of their fund raising efforts is to run excursion trains. Last Saturday my wife and I were on one such train, a trip to Moscow PA for a wine tasting event. This went off pretty well.

They have used their funds for various projects such as the renovation of some of Steamtown's collection which the NPS for budgetary reasons has not been able to address.

Here are a couple of photos showing the vintage locos that were used on our trip, and Alco Century 420 and an EMD F unit.
View attachment 37822View attachment 37823

The train had 2 classes of equipment, regular coach seating in ex Jersey Central coaches with open windows, and an air conditioned ex Erie Lackawanna coach which was the premium seating. Being such a nice day we elected to go with the open windows.
Guess they wouldn’t let anyone ride on the cheap, in that “side-door Pullman” ( slang hobo term for the boxcar).😁

Back