Long Distance (LD) fleet replacement RFP discussion 2024 H1

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it more likely that Amtrak selects a manufacturer (such as Alstom or Siemens) who has already done a lot of business with them in comparison to a company that Amtrak is not too familiar with, such as Hitachi?

If I had to guess who is going to win the bid I would have to say Kawasaki as they have experience with bi levels and don't really have that much against them compared to a lot of the other bidders

What some people have told me is the Horizon cars have long since been corroding, but not in palces that you can see. So there's that white dust accumulating behind panels.

In the 1970's, Amtrak maintenance people with Sunnyside yard pedigrees, some of whom relocated to Chicago, absolutely hated aluminum. There was still instititutional memory of the Altoona-built LIRR MP-70 double deckers from 1947 that were scrapped by 1971 due to electrolysis corrosion, much like the stuff that oozes out of 9v batteries, of the aluminum car sides interacting against the steel frames and vestibules.

The Horizon cars are aluminum alloy (emphasis "alloy"), so maybe that's the difference, and they figured out how to join it to a steel frame.

Last edited:
... There was still instititutional memory of the Altoona-built LIRR MP-70 double deckers from 1947 that were scrapped by 1971 due to electrolysis corrosion, much like the stuff that oozes out of 9v batteries, of the aluminum car sides interacting against the steel frames and vestibules….
I had to go lookup what those MP-70’s were, such an interesting seat layout! Too bad they were setup for bimetal corrosion.
:( The lone survivor at the Railroad Museum of Long Island looks like a great trip opportunity, except it is all the way out on the end of the island.

Last edited:
If you’re referring to the ones in the photo in @Willbridge’s post, they were former VIA/CN Tempo cars, built by Hawker-Siddely.
See…
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempo_(railcar)#:~:text=The Tempos are a fleet,Canadian National Railway in 1968.
It may have been a reference to my erroneous and sleepy post of a Hawker-Siddeley ONR coach, which I corrected ASAP. The photos reside side-by-side in my archive. I didn't think the original was up for long enough to be noticed and is now correct.

Back