Long distance trip from LCH

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
Can someone tell me if this trip is possible? LCH(SL)-SAS-CHI (TE), CHI-TRI-LAX(SWC), LAX-EMY(CS)

EMY-DEN-CHI (CZ), CHI-CIN-CVS (Cardinal), CVS-ATL-NOL (Crescent), NOL-LCH (SL)

I have a $200.00 voucher and don't mind paying cash for any short zones. Would we need a hotel for any stop[ other than NOL? We like having a roomette for overnight runs. How many points and cash would this cost? We're planning this trip for February. :help: :blush: Thank you.

The LCH-SAS-CHI on #1 ( 3 days a week)/#22 is bookable but you would have a 7 Hour Layover in the SAS Station ( Midnight to 7am) which isn't a lot of fun so nice you can't board #22 until 6:45am!

As for going to LAX on a 2 Zone Award, if you take the Sunset Ltd #1 AGR will only book you LCH-SAS-ELP-LAX-EMY as a 2 Zone Roomette Award for 20,000Points!)

If you want to take #6 from EMY-CHI and #50 ( 3 Days a week)From CHI-CVS it would be a 3 Zone Award, 35,000 Points, then #19 CVS-NOL is a 2 Zone Award, 20,000 Points and you would have to spend a night in NOL on your Dime and then ride #1 NOL-LCH using your Voucher!( Its a day trip as you know so go Coach)

The total for this routing would be 75,000 Points! There are other possibilities also, some of our AGR Gurus will have ideas also!

Thanks, Jim

What if I skipped the Cardinal and Crescent and took the CONO from Chi to NOL? I really want to ride the SWC and the CZ. Riding the SL is ok, just not a favorite. Thanks again.

Thanks again for your help.

Could I go LCH-SAC (SL & CS), SAC-CHI(CZ), CHI-LAX (SWC), LAX-LCH(SL)?

If you want to ride the Southwest Chief and the California Zephyr, and maximize your time on the train, you could book 2 two-zone published awards: NOL-CHI-LAX-SEA, and SEA-SAC-CHI-NOL. You'd have overnights in New Orleans and Seattle, and an early morning in Sacramento, but the advantage to this is that you should have minimal problems booking your trip.

Another option is NOL-CHI-EMY (which I'd prefer because you maximize scenery during daylight that direction), but the return on the Southwest Chief puts you either on a bus to the Surfliner in Santa Barbara, and thence to LA, or on a San Joaquin to Bakersfield, then a bus to LA. Either is too long in coach/bus on a sleeper redemption for me.

I concour with Ispolkom's idea of 2x2Zone Awards(20,000+20,000=40,000 Points) NOL-CHI-LAX- SEA/Overnite on your Dime and return SEA-SAC-CHI-NOL. ) allow for the 3 day a week Sunset in each direction/overnite in NOL on your dime)Use your Voucher LCH-NOL in a Roomette with Dinner and NOL-LCH/ Day trip in Coach!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys so much. This sounds perfect. We're all about riding as much as we can. If we get a roomette NOL-LCH, would we get breakfast and lunch? We love the CS and the CZ and have never ridden the SWC. Also, we have family in SEA that we could see. I might even spring for a bedroom 1 way. Is that 40,000 for 2 zones? Thanks again. By the way, I love the Edna St. Vincent Millay quote. :) :p

When you ride the Sunset #2 from LCH-NOL Dinner is the only Meal in the Diner! On #1 from NOL-LCH Lunch is the Only meal served!( 9am-3pm) But as you know NOL has lots of Great Breakfast Joints!

Your Voucher would cover a Roomette either way for 2, I see them between $165 and $193 in October on test bookings!

Back