MBTA (Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority) discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One of gems that work for the T. You always know you are on one of her Blue Line runs as she always make sure that visitors to the aquarium know exactly what direction to head when leaving the train. Back when Government Center re opened she made sure everyone knew it, and debunked a rumor that the station would not open until the politicos has a ceremony.

It was not well advertised but the T offered a $10.00 Commuter Rail Pass for Juneteenth.

With temps in the 90's it was a perfect day for a trip to Singing Beach in Manchester By The Sea.

The trains were crowded, but so were the parking lots.

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_8633.jpeg
    IMG_8633.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8632.jpeg
    IMG_8632.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8627.jpeg
    IMG_8627.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I'm not actually sure who publishes Banker and Tradesman, I was referred to it from another link. I tried to go back to the article and it said I had used up my three free views for the month. My loss!

In summary, the MBTA has a process for determining if a station is worth saving, and the Alewife station flunked the test. So they have asked large-scale contractors to submit ideas about how the station could be repurposed. Apparently they have already done this with other stations such as Quincy. One significant factor is that the Mass state government is working on a bill that would fast-track approvals for station rebuilds that include housing.

One of the requirements is that they plan construction in a way that keeps a certain percentage (70%?) of parking available throughout the rebuild. That's going to be interesting. One option is to build a short-term garage nearby and have free shuttle busses.

I'll keep an eye open and see if any other news sources pick up the story, and post it here.

I'm not actually sure who publishes Banker and Tradesman, I was referred to it from another link. I tried to go back to the article and it said I had used up my three free views for the month. My loss!

In summary, the MBTA has a process for determining if a station is worth saving, and the Alewife station flunked the test. So they have asked large-scale contractors to submit ideas about how the station could be repurposed. Apparently they have already done this with other stations such as Quincy. One significant factor is that the Mass state government is working on a bill that would fast-track approvals for station rebuilds that include housing.

One of the requirements is that they plan construction in a way that keeps a certain percentage (70%?) of parking available throughout the rebuild. That's going to be interesting. One option is to build a short-term garage nearby and have free shuttle busses.

I'll keep an eye open and see if any other news sources pick up the story, and post it here.
Maybe it just old age but I remember when Alwife was a brand new station. It's only 34 years old. Now it is up for demolition? I also remember when all the Quincy stations were built they didn't last very long either. I guess parking garages only have a 30 year life. I'm fine with tearing down those ugly garages and replacing them with housing and retail. But what a racket.

Maybe it just old age but I remember when Alwife was a brand new station. It's only 34 years old. Now it is up for demolition? I also remember when all the Quincy stations were built they didn't last very long either. I guess parking garages only have a 30 year life. I'm fine with tearing down those ugly garages and replacing them with housing and retail. But what a racket.
Garages may be ugly but they serve an important purpose for park and ride. The commuter rail on the North Side is fairly infrequent especially outside of rush hour and then you usually have to transfer to the subway anyway to get where you are going, so many times it was easier just to drive to Alewife and catch the Red line there.

The gist I got was that the parking structure was in poor condition (after having been repaired maybe 10-15 years ago) and needed to be demolished & rebuilt as well as there having been zoning/planning changes and that there was extra/excess land around it that could be better utilized to provide value/income to the MBTA. It didn't sound like housing specifically, but potentially lab/research/office space.

Ha, ha, I lived in Arlington Center when the Red line extension and Alewife was being built. But my work has always been in the burbs.

Boy this made my day.

I've been a broken record to my friends and family complaining about the land-use of Alewife.
Much like asian metro stations, the terminus has the potential to become a real vibrant hub - I always envisioned an intermodal hub with an infill station (with indoor connections through Summer Shack's parking lot) for the Fitchburg line, as well as more intercity bus service to locations north and south of Massachusetts. Housing and a mall above the station would make a lot of sense.

They should move the whole foods to the station location. That alone would secure serious Red Line ridership.
Essentially, they should move all of Fresh Pond mall to the area above Alewife station, freeing up that giant, terrible parking lot for redevelopment.

The amount of parking at Alewife is laughable for anyone who wants to see transit succeed. Especially since half hourly service to Lincoln on the F-Line is likely, it would really make sense to reduce parking at Alewife.

Boy this made my day.

I've been a broken record to my friends and family complaining about the land-use of Alewife.
Much like asian metro stations, the terminus has the potential to become a real vibrant hub - I always envisioned an intermodal hub with an infill station (with indoor connections through Summer Shack's parking lot) for the Fitchburg line, as well as more intercity bus service to locations north and south of Massachusetts. Housing and a mall above the station would make a lot of sense.

They should move the whole foods to the station location. That alone would secure serious Red Line ridership.
Essentially, they should move all of Fresh Pond mall to the area above Alewife station, freeing up that giant, terrible parking lot for redevelopment.

The amount of parking at Alewife is laughable for anyone who wants to see transit succeed. Especially since half hourly service to Lincoln on the F-Line is likely, it would really make sense to reduce parking at Alewife.
As a park and ride, leaving the current station especially at rush hour is a nightmare.

The only issue with a Fitchburg line infill station for transfers is that you already have Porter Square fulfilling that function. Unless you want to make a bus connection to one of the many bus routes that run from Alewife.

Back when I worked out of an office in Bedford in the Crosby Corporate Center I considered commuting via the Fitchburg line to Porter, then Red Line to Alewife and a bus that ran by the Crosby Corporate Center. But the bus only ran one trip in the morning and 2 in the evening and the times just didn't work. Plus the bus was often late due to traffic.

As a park and ride, leaving the current station especially at rush hour is a nightmare.

The only issue with a Fitchburg line infill station for transfers is that you already have Porter Square fulfilling that function. Unless you want to make a bus connection to one of the many bus routes that run from Alewife.

Back when I worked out of an office in Bedford in the Crosby Corporate Center I considered commuting via the Fitchburg line to Porter, then Red Line to Alewife and a bus that ran by the Crosby Corporate Center. But the bus only ran one trip in the morning and 2 in the evening and the times just didn't work. Plus the bus was often late due to traffic.
You are correct, but the point of an infill station at Alewife is hardly for Red Line commuter rail transfers, but to add another much needed Boston direct line for the most congested area of Cambridge.

Years ago, when no one lived at Alewife this wasn’t an issue. Now that it has been rezoned and developed, thousands live there, adding to terrible traffic congestion - in part because there is no viable alternative to driving for certain commuting locations.

Last edited:
You are correct, but the point of an infill station at Alewife is hardly for Red Line commuter rail transfers, but to add another much needed Boston direct line for the most congested area of Cambridge.

Years ago, when no one lived at Alewife this wasn’t an issue. Now that it has been rezoned and developed, thousands live there, adding to terrible traffic congestion - in part because there is no viable alternative to driving for certain commuting locations.
True, although for this to be a useful service for people wanting to commute into North Station there would have to be an increase in frequency over the current sparse service. I have heard proposals of electrifying part of the line either with overhead catenary or using battery electric, perhaps running shuttles as far as say Waltham. If you had service every 15 minutes at peak and 30 minutes off peak that would make it useful.

True, although for this to be a useful service for people wanting to commute into North Station there would have to be an increase in frequency over the current sparse service. I have heard proposals of electrifying part of the line either with overhead catenary or using battery electric, perhaps running shuttles as far as say Waltham. If you had service every 15 minutes at peak and 30 minutes off peak that would make it useful.
As mentioned above, there is already a plan to have half-hourly service at least through Lincoln with current equipment. That alone would be enough. Any increase beyond that of course requires electrification and EMU’s.

I need a confirmation over a disagreement with a colleague:

The Fitchburg Line ROW between Union Sq and Porter does not support two additional tracks (let alone further green line tracks) without significant eminent domain usage, right?

I live in the area, and unless my eyes fail me, two tracks seems to be about as good as it gets most of the way.

I need a confirmation over a disagreement with a colleague:

The Fitchburg Line ROW between Union Sq and Porter does not support two additional tracks (let alone further green line tracks) without significant eminent domain usage, right?

I live in the area, and unless my eyes fail me, two tracks seems to be about as good as it gets most of the way.
From what I see looking at Satellite View there might be room for a 3rd track at least in part, but definitely not 4 tracks.

From what I see looking at Satellite View there might be room for a 3rd track at least in part, but definitely not 4 tracks.
Agreed. There are some locations wide enough for 4 tracks. There's even some old remnants of tracks, but I think the ROW is a far cry from practically hosting 2 tracks of Green Line, and 2 of purple line.

That said, I always wonder why Porter Sq wasn't even mentioned as a long term goal. It just makes practical sense, and would give Cambridge another MUCH needed rail option.

Back