Michigan Central Station and Amtrak including service through Canada

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "default" view of just the map appears to show platform tracks which are no longer there. Satellite view shows a near-current view with just the mainline remaining.
Indeed! And moreover, it is not clear where they will find space to put in more than one or two platform tracks given the other stuff that has been constructed where the platform tracks used to be.

Between Google Streetview and "satellite" view it looks to me like:

(1) Ford is building *something* in the former platform area that's flat and the exact height of the adjoining train tracks. Could be a parking garage or (as I've seen in some renderings) rooftop park, but so far it doesn't rule out a structure for platforms.

(2) there's nothing but empty land or surface parking in the way of track throats a few tracks wide on either side of the old platform area. For example, 15th St. seems to bend past Marantette St. to pretty much the exact angle a station throat would take.

Looking at old aerial photos like this one, it seems to my amateur eye that there's the same space for platform tracks as the station had originally, which was definitely more than "one or two".

If Ford has built something in the relevant space that isn't showing up on Google, then I readily admit error.

Between Google Streetview and "satellite" view it looks to me like:

(1) Ford is building *something* in the former platform area that's flat and the exact height of the adjoining train tracks. Could be a parking garage or (as I've seen in some renderings) rooftop park, but so far it doesn't rule out a structure for platforms.

(2) there's nothing but empty land or surface parking in the way of track throats a few tracks wide on either side of the old platform area. For example, 15th St. seems to bend past Marantette St. to pretty much the exact angle a station throat would take.

Looking at old aerial photos like this one, it seems to my amateur eye that there's the same space for platform tracks as the station had originally, which was definitely more than "one or two".

If Ford has built something in the relevant space that isn't showing up on Google, then I readily admit error.
The thing that at least I don't know is whether Ford has ceded or intends to cede easement for additional tracks or not. At the end of the day that matters way more than what structures may have been put up possibly temporarily. I have seen absolutely nothing this way or that on this matter, but must admit that I have not looked very hard either. If they don;t intend to then there is lack of space.

Indeed! And moreover, it is not clear where they will find space to put in more than one or two platform tracks given the other stuff that has been constructed where the platform tracks used to be.

The thing that at least I don't know is whether Ford has ceded or intends to cede easement for additional tracks or not. At the end of the day that matters way more than what structures may have been put up possibly temporarily. I have seen absolutely nothing this way or that on this matter, but must admit that I have not looked very hard either. If they don;t intend to then there is lack of space.

Ford has repeatedly stated that they are open to hosting rail service, though they certainly have made no commitments and their comments on the subject
have a certain soft, don't worry, be happy, tone.

As to lack of space, a platform or two would probably be sufficient. That is generally the case with restored grand stations, I don't know of any where the old platform capacity was restored. In any case they certainly don't need 7 platforms any more. The current Detroit Amtrak station only has one.

The current satellite view appears that Ford has put some kind of slab down on the old platform area. It's intended purpose is unclear. But at this time, there is still space for access out to a station track and platform by the main.

This shows the 2 remaining freight tracks, on a structure that originally held 7 of them, plus an express freight track and platform. Plenty of room to add a couple of passenger side tracks and platforms. Ford demolished all the passenger track structures. But the remaining freight track support steelwork is still owned by CPKC, which stated in 2022 that it's amenable to passenger service through the tunnel.Screenshot_20240614-184817~2.png

Ground level picture of the new concrete pad here: https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/are-trains-in-michigan-centrals-future/
There is still enough room for a platform and perhaps a stub track next to the existing main line, but access would have to be from a separate building, not directly to the rear of Michigan Central.
I'll be in Detroit this summer so I guess it's exciting. I rode the QLine last time, from a friendly and shipshape city bus, to the Underground Railroad group statue beckoning to Canada.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back