Modified Amtrak service due to Hurricane Helene

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An opportunity for NC to buy lines in question or negotiate future preferential treatment in the future.

I was in FLO all last week on business. My hotel was close to the station. At one point I heard chatter on my scanner about buses being sourced to take passengers as far south as JAX.
That was for the 91/97 combo

It does sound like the BRS was hit really hard and with the loss of freight on that line with Evergreen closing what does that mean for BRS and how the GSMR is served with the occasional train from outside..

Lots of what-ifs and it will be months or a year before we learn all these answers possibly.
What does BRS stand for? Google wasn't clear on that one, but it did tell me that GSMR was Great Smoky Mountains Railroad.

What does BRS stand for? Google wasn't clear on that one, but it did tell me that GSMR was Great Smoky Mountains Railroad.
BRS, Blue Ridge Southern. I mistyped and their reporting mark is BLU. Freight only Watco-owned shortline that has two segments coming out of Asheville. One segment heads towards Saluda and the other segment heads towards Dillsboro. GSMR has not had any freight in 20 years I have heard but they do get the occasional shipment of ties and such for MOW and that would come in on NS to BLU to GSMR. Beyond GSMR to the end of the line in Murphy is inactive NC DOT owned rail that is still in the ground just in case an industry is in need.

Back