Most Used Amtrak Transfers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some Capitol Limited data was provided in the Chicago Gateway Report:

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/873/180/Chicago-Gateway-Amtrak-Blue-Ribbon-Panel-Final-Report.pdf

CL-Pennsylvanian at PGH: 22,386

CL-SWC at CHI: 15,988

CL-CZ at CHI: 15,212

So I'm trying to think what are the most used Amtrak transfers (I didn't want to say popular because that implies they are something good).

My guess is LSL-SWC has more transfers than CL-SWC because of the larger ridership on the LSL (similarly LSL-CZ > CL-CZ).

I am also guessing Florida is a popular destination so CL-SS or CL-SM in WAS are common. Maybe CL-Crescent is too. Also, BOS/New England to Florida does require a transfer but you can transfer in multiple cities (NYP is the first city you can do so).

I believe you can also do TE/SL-CS in LAX or CZ-CS in SAC.

Are there any other common transfers I'm missing?

You can also throw Thruway buses into the discussion. I would guess Michigan to LSL/CL in TOL and Houston to TE at Longview would be common as well.

Are any of these numbers higher than the CL-Pennsylvanian number?

50 * 365 = 18,250 passengers so any number above that means more than 50 transfers a day.

I don't think Amtrak will ever practically eliminate the CHI transfers from East to West but the PGH transfer certainly can be eliminated with through cars or a separate train (plus the hours in PGH and the condition of the station also make the transfer 100 times worse than CHI). Depending on how many transfer in TOL I think that should be the next transfer to try to eliminate (or at least have a train going from Michigan to TOL instead of the bus) and I'm guessing Toledo is just as bad if not worse than Pittsburgh and the hours are just as bad. Notice AAO's proposed trains from Chicago to New York via Michigan, Pittsburgh, and Philly ( wipe BOTH of these transfers out.

I'd argue either BOS-Florida or CHI-Florida would be the next ones to try to eliminate (BOS-Florida in theory should be easier but you have that limitation in Shore Line East to deal with). Amtrak did run through cars between the CL and SS at one point and the PRIIA for the Silver Service did actually discuss bringing it back before shooting it down.

Let's hope LSL to BOS at ALB doesn't wind up on this list permanently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Historically there has been a divide between eastern and western trains at Chicago, St. Louis, Memphis(to An extent but minor player) and New Orleans.

You can also throw Thruway buses into the discussion. I would guess Michigan to LSL/CL in TOL and Houston to TE at Longview would be common as well.
Are you limiting this to LD to LD or LD to thruway bus transfer within Amtrak? There are likely a lot of transfer at NYP between the NEC trains and the Empire corridor trains, not just the Northern NEC to LD trains. Since NYP is Amtrak's busiest station by a lot, there are presumably a lot of transfers there. At 30th St, there are transfers from the Keystones to trains from/to south of PHL.

Chicago probably has lot of transfers, not between the eastern and western LD trains, but I would expect between the LD trains and the corridor trains and between the corridor trains. But we don't see stats for most of those.

A few years ago, someone with access to actual numbers at Amtrak posted some connection numbers, either here or at railroad.net (don't recall which). It was not all Chicago LD train same-day connections. There were a few who were connecting at CVS between the Cardinal and the Crescent, for example, which I had not thought about. When the VA Regional service is extended to Roanoke, that becomes a new connection for the Cardinal, albeit with a longish layover at CVS. Boston. of course, has transfers between the Downeaster and the LSL & NEC trains, just not at the same station.

Are you limiting this to LD to LD or LD to thruway bus transfer within Amtrak? There are likely a lot of transfer at NYP between the NEC trains and the Empire corridor trains, not just the Northern NEC to LD trains. Since NYP is Amtrak's busiest station by a lot, there are presumably a lot of transfers there. At 30th St, there are transfers from the Keystones to trains from/to south of PHL.

Chicago probably has lot of transfers, not between the eastern and western LD trains, but I would expect between the LD trains and the corridor trains and between the corridor trains. But we don't see stats for most of those.

A few years ago, someone with access to actual numbers at Amtrak posted some connection numbers, either here or at railroad.net (don't recall which). It was not all Chicago LD train same-day connections. There were a few who were connecting at CVS between the Cardinal and the Crescent, for example, which I had not thought about. When the VA Regional service is extended to Roanoke, that becomes a new connection for the Cardinal, albeit with a longish layover at CVS. Boston. of course, has transfers between the Downeaster and the LSL & NEC trains, just not at the same station.
Any transfers are OK, doesn't have to be LD to LD or LD too Thruway.

It was a really cool person...who did it on railroad.net to show that the Capitol shouldn't really move to a much later departure. ^_^

That being said, New Haven was quite busy until they annulled some of the trains for track work. Back Bay is actually the transfer location of choice for the NEC-Downeaster connection. They see quite a bit of transfer traffic. BWI has a few shuttles that meet the trains. I've heard they are pretty popular in the summer.

I believe SEA, LAX and MSP see a bit of train and thruway transfer traffic and I'd bet PDX has passengers transferring between the Builder and the Starlight.

Another connection is Cary between 76/91 and 92/75 with the Florida, Triad, GRO, CLT traffic.
The 76/91 connection in Cary is tight (8:18-9:23pm). Does Amtrak guarantee it? For 92/75, you might as well go to Raleigh with the extra time. I'm not sure but it would seem like Raleigh is a bigger station than Cary but I've never been in either station.

Another connection is Cary between 76/91 and 92/75 with the Florida, Triad, GRO, CLT traffic.
The 76/91 connection in Cary is tight (8:18-9:23pm). Does Amtrak guarantee it? For 92/75, you might as well go to Raleigh with the extra time. I'm not sure but it would seem like Raleigh is a bigger station than Cary but I've never been in either station.
I connected from 92 to 75 and 76 to 91 in Carey recently and it was a great connection. Carey is a new station and more updated than Raleigh, however, Raleigh will be getting a new station too. The Piedmont Trains seem to run on time. If 92 is running very late, the connection to 75 might not work. Carey also serves the City Transit System from an adjacent building.

I live in Cary. The connections, 92/75 and 76/91 are guaranteed. The official transfer point is Cary instead of Raleigh, as it used to be. Don't know if you CAN transfer at Raleigh any more. And besides, if you try to go to Raleigh to make the transfer, and something happens (it does occasionally), you'll miss your train.

Inside the station, Cary is not as crowded as Raleigh is. Cary has a very small downtown area, but you should be able to walk it and find what you need. Ask the agents where things are.

And by the way, if 92 really falls apart, they'll put you on 79 instead of 75.

jb

I'm "connecting" soon in Schenectady from the LSL originating in Chicago to the Adirondack and going to Montreal the next day, but I'm not sure it's a "connection" because it requires an overnight in SCH and two separate tickets. Just something I've always wanted to do. Suspect it isn't a popular thing. Wonder if anyone's done it.

I'm "connecting" soon in Schenectady from the LSL originating in Chicago to the Adirondack and going to Montreal the next day, but I'm not sure it's a "connection" because it requires an overnight in SCH and two separate tickets. Just something I've always wanted to do. Suspect it isn't a popular thing. Wonder if anyone's done it.
You'd be surprised how many AUers have done this and other non-regular connections! Not sure about "normal" folks!!???

It's a nice trip up to Montreal on the Adirondack for sure. Be sure and snag a seat on the right side for the best view of the Lake!

I did not see any CL to NER/Acela and LSL to NER/Acela transfers mentioned anywhere. There are significant numbers of such transfers for connecting to/from those trains from various NEC points.

And of course there are NER/Acela to/from SS/SM/Crescent connections at various points, typically major ones being WAS and NYP for passengers originating/destined for locations on the NEC other than BOS. For the longest time I used to do NER to/from SS/SM connection at WAS/PHL/TRE when my journey started/ended at MET.

It might be quicker to do LSL to Maple Leaf in BUF to Toronto then VIA to Montreal. The Maple Leaf gets to Toronto at 7:42pm. According to the Via schedule at the bottom of the Amtrak system timetable (p. 122), there are several trains between Toronto and Montreal but the last one leaves Toronto at 6:00pm. You would have to stay overnight but then you can leave the first thing in the morning (60 leaves Toronto at 6:40am and arrives in Montreal at 11:55am while the Adirondack doesn't get in until 7:11pm. I'm sure Toronto would be a nicer place to stay overnight than Schenectady but it probably is more expensive (although with the exchange rates I'm not sure).

Philly Amtraks idea is a good one IF you want to spend more money on hotels. ( Toronto is Canada's New York) and the VIA Toronto-Montreal Corridor can't hold a candle to riding along Beautiful Lake Champlain!

Maybe connecting from the LSL isn't so common, but Empire Service from the west - Adirondack to the north connection in Schenectady is routine, with a few passengers every day. I've overheard (on the radio) the conductors mention passengers doing this, while listening in on the radio chatter. (It mattered because it meant it mattered what order the trains were put onto the limited track space in Schenectady when one of them was late. This will be easier for the dispatchers after the current funded improvements at Schenectady are all done.)

One other one that I don't believe has been mentioned is at Kansas City between Missouri River Runner and Southwest Chief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back