National Train Day 2013!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh well. My plans have changed due to a family commitment. So I will have to bail from the NTD festivities this year. I am off to Florida for that weekend.
I am sorry to hear that you will not be attending NTD. Are you flying to Florida or taking a Silver? If you are taking a Silver, I will wave to the southbound train when I am on the northbound.

Flying down Friday evening, flying back Monday early morning. Spending the entire two weekend days there and managing to do that without losing any work hours. Just a very early start on Monday. And both flights are on international 757, so hoping to get upgraded so that I can sleep in lie flat bed on the way back. :) The choice was between a kid's birthday celebration and NTD, and the kid won out.

I am doing my NTD points run on teh previous Saturday instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
NTD is two weeks out. For those going to WAS I would like to call on our long time members AlanB , PennyK, The Traveler, and of course Anthony R to decide on a meeting spot in Union Station. My train arrives at 11 AM so I hope that there is enough time to meet up, chat and say hello to all again. May I suggest that we take a count on who is going to be there and when they will arrive?

NTD is two weeks out. For those going to WAS I would like to call on our long time members AlanB , PennyK, The Traveler, and of course Anthony R to decide on a meeting spot in Union Station. My train arrives at 11 AM so I hope that there is enough time to meet up, chat and say hello to all again. May I suggest that we take a count on who is going to be there and when they will arrive?
I will be arriving on the Silver Meteor, which, if on time, will arrive around 7:30am. I will be storing my luggage in the Club Acela and likely will be in that area, unless I do a points run. My suggestion is for the group to meet outside the Club Acela. Alan and Anthony may have a better suggestion. I do not believe the_traveler will be attending, but I may be wrong, which I am often.

You mean Penny may have made a RIGHT TURN in saying she might be wrong!?! :giggle:

In 2011 we met in the hall across from Amtrak Customer Service IIRC. It was a good place. Several members will most likely be on 131 and 2203. I unfortunately will be at PHL this year, instead of traveling to WAS. Money issues suck.

If I come up on the Lynchburger which will arrive WAS around 1:40 pm will I be able to meet up with anyone or will I just be lost in the crowd? I have pretty definitely scuttled my planned extension to NYP.....it was too expensive with 2 nights in a hotel etc.

If I come up on the Lynchburger which will arrive WAS around 1:40 pm will I be able to meet up with anyone or will I just be lost in the crowd? I have pretty definitely scuttled my planned extension to NYP.....it was too expensive with 2 nights in a hotel etc.
My guess is that you might have a few minutes to say Hi to some, but the odds are good that most would have already gone through the exhibits or worst case are finishing up around that time. After a quick Hi, you'd have to head to the exhibits if you want to see them.

From Oregon Rail Heritage Foundation:

Saturday, May 11th, 10am to 4pm, National Train Day. Visit the SP&S 700 at Portland's Union Station on National Train Day. She will be bringing the Traveler's Rest passenger car and the UP 25198 Caboose. Joining the 700 will be BNSF and UP locomotives and Oregon's newest Talgo train set. The 700 will be steaming up during public hours on May 9th and 10th. Estimated departure is 4pm on the 10th subject to UP's scheduling. NO VISITORS WILL BE ADMITTED TO THE ENGINEHOUSE OUTSIDE OF PUBLIC HOURS!
In other news, they are doing the restorations in view of the public and report removing tubes from the boiler had visitors "spellbound for hours."

It looks like there will be Acela Excursion rides from WAS on NTD:

Washington, D.C. Acela Express® Excursion Train

Amtrak is excited to announce the Acela Express Excursion Train at Washington Union Station on National Train Day, May 11, 2013. Experience travel aboard Amtrak’s premiere service for an exciting 35 minute round trip ride! Tickets will be available onsite (Gate G) at 10:30am. Rides are scheduled to depart at 11:35am, 1pm, 2:30pm and 3:45pm. Tickets cost $5 per person; children 12 and under ride free, with accompanying adults. Adult ID required at time of purchase.

*Some restrictions may apply; routes and schedules are subject to change.

We will have more detailed information soon, so make sure to check back often!

Do you get AGR point? :p
I am sure there will be city pair bonus Acela points, plus Spring promotion double points - maybe around 3,000 points. :p :p

As for the Acela excursion at WAS NTD, I am arriving on the Acela at 11Am from NJ ( a 2:20 trip). Speaking from a strictly personal perspective that's not a real exciting activity for a regular train traveler on the NEC. .

As for the Acela excursion at WAS NTD, I am arriving on the Acela at 11Am from NJ ( a 2:20 trip). Speaking from a strictly personal perspective that's not a real exciting activity for a regular train traveler on the NEC. .
Not everybody on the NEC can afford the Acela, so it would be special to many people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back