New member with trip planning questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I am from Australia and I am planning an Amtrak trip in March 2025, either Texas Eagles, South West Chief, or the Zephyr, all one way from Chicago to either LA or San Francisco, any tips and how much time would I leave to fly back to Europe between the arrival and my flight,Ihave heard stories of delayed trains, particularly in winter.

Never, ever book a connection to another carrier on the same day as arrival of any North American long distance train, Amtrak or VIA. Especially a critical one like an international flight.

Lay over overnight.

This recommendation applies at all times of year.

If you are going to take one western Amtrak LD, take the California Zephyr, hands down. The scenery is spectacular, the Colorado Rockies, the canyons of the Western Slope of the Rockies and California's Sierra Nevada. Avoid the Texas Eagle, between Chicago and San Antonio, TX the train has poor amenities, no Sightseer Lounge and lousy "Flex" reheated meals. To top it off, the scenery is "meh" at best. The SW Chief is a full service train like the Zephyr and the scenery is good, Raton and Glorietta Passes and red rock country, but it is no match for the Zephyr.

Last edited:
zephyr17 comment:
Never, ever book a connection to another carrier on the same day as arrival of any North American long distance train, Amtrak or VIA. Especially a critical one like an international flight.
Lay over overnight.

xxxxx
I would add another day - a significant service disruption - one day may not be enough of a comfort zone !

zephyr17 comment:
Lay over overnight.

xxxxx
I would add another day - a significant service disruption - one day may not be enough of a comfort zone !
Yeah, overnight is the absolute minimum for anything.

Getting 20 hours or more late is pretty rare but does happen (36 hours is not entirely unheard of) and a crucial connection should allow for severe lateness within reason. Lateness in the "Amstew" zone in the 6-16 hour range is a lot more common.

Anything less than overnight is foolhardy, but the more, the better. And lots to do and see at either proposed endpoint, LA or San Francisco.

Truth be told I have connected from Amtrak long distance to a scheduled airline flight with less than an overnight between them. Although I did catch my planes those experiences were extremely stressful and I do not recommend trying it. Ideally you want 2+ days between Amtrak long distance service and an intercontinental flight. Put simply it's just not worth the trouble of a missed connection.

I agree with the Advocate - two days for an important international flight. One day would be okay for a domestic flight on a well travelled route.

And I agree that the California Zephyr would be the best route to take and it would be a great trip to take the Zephyr to the Bay area and then take the Coast Starlight to LA. If you need to go direct from Chicago to LA, the Southwest Chief is fine and I love the scenery on that route as well.

Take the Texas Eagle only if you desire to see a train with a lot of potential but which is in a debilitated condition due to no sightseer lounge, no dining car and no traditional dining, all of which it once had and perhaps in happier days will have again.

I will echo the minimum of one night connection. Two if you actually want to guarantee that you get some rest between the train you just got off of, and whatever your connecting mode of transportation is. If everything runs on time, then you have a day or two to spend resting up or exploring Chicago or something.

Take the Texas Eagle only if you desire to see a train with a lot of potential but which is in a debilitated condition due to no sightseer lounge, no dining car and no traditional dining, all of which it once had and perhaps in happier days will have again.
The hubby and I will be taking the Texas Eagle this fall, but we live on the route, and have an overnight planned (in Fort Worth, TX) between the southbound & northbound journeys. I haven't been an Amtrak sleeping car passenger since the old Slumbercoach days, so even the Eaglette will be an adventure, and will give us something to look forward to on future trips on the nicer long-distance routes.

Lay over overnight.

If you are going to take one western Amtrak LD, take the California Zephyr, hands down. The scenery is spectacular, the Colorado Rockies, the canyons of the Western Slope of the Rockies and California's Sierra Nevada. Avoid the Texas Eagle, between Chicago and San Antonio, TX the train has poor amenities, no Sightseer Lounge and lousy "Flex" reheated meals. To top it off, the scenery is "meh" at best. The SW Chief is a full service train like the Zephyr and the scenery is good, Raton and Glorietta Passes and red rock country, but it is no match for the Zephyr.
Amen to Zephyr the best scenery for both days. Denver to Glenwood Springs the best.

Concur with the consensus here. If one, the Zephyr is the one to do . . . March should be wonderful.

Leave a day or two for your own peace of mind.

Three of my last 4 long-distance trips have had significant delays . . . one for each of your choices, as it turns out. Each was stressful enough with Amtrak connections to figure out.

Eastbound Zephyr sat for 8 hours in Nevada, a 2:45pm arrival in Chicago became close to midnight.
On a westbound SWChief, went to sleep the last night expecting an ontime 8am arrival but woke up still in Arizona . . . 2:15pm arrival to LA.
A westbound Texas Eagle clipped a vehicle stuck on the tracks, we boarded 19 hours late and a 5:40am arrival to LA became 9pm.

Last edited:
Hello, I am from Australia and I am planning an Amtrak trip in March 2025, either Texas Eagles, South West Chief, or the Zephyr, all one way from Chicago to either LA or San Francisco, any tips and how much time would I leave to fly back to Europe between the arrival and my flight,Ihave heard stories of delayed trains, particularly in winter.

Re your trip planning, why not have the best of everything by adding another train or two to your journey. Examples :

Chicago ~> San Francisco ~> Seattle ~> Chicago... A winter wonderland

or

Chicago ~> San Francisco ~> LA ~> Chicago... Winter through the Rockies and Sierra Nevadas then much of best of the west

Of course on route 1 you could fly to Europe from Seattle too, or route 2 fly from LA which is usually well priced to London, Paris etc

Most west coast destination cities, LA, SF, Portland, Seattle are all worth a full day of touristing (i.e. two nights). You'll probably wish it was longer. Summer hotels can be pricey, though.
If your continuing travel is by air - airport hotels are generally less expensive than downtown hotels and often offer free shuttle service from the hotel to the airport and some other excursion activities.

zephyr17 comment:
Lay over overnight.

xxxxx

Getting 20 hours or more late is pretty rare but does happen (36 hours is not entirely unheard of) and a crucial connection should allow for severe lateness within reason. Lateness in the "Amstew" zone in the 6-16 hour range is a lot more common.

Anything less than overnight is foolhardy, but the more, the better. And lots to do and see at either proposed endpoint, LA or San Francisco.
I agree with these,, and would recommend that especially for an intercontinental traveler, you should also have a good travel insurance policy, including trip interruption coverage…

I agree with the Advocate - two days for an important international flight. One day would be okay for a domestic flight on a well travelled route.

And I agree that the California Zephyr would be the best route to take and it would be a great trip to take the Zephyr to the Bay area and then take the Coast Starlight to LA. If you need to go direct from Chicago to LA, the Southwest Chief is fine and I love the scenery on that route as well.

Eaglete does have a Diner ( CCC) but it's only open to Sleeper Pax for meals which are Flex Garbage!

Also the Time Keeping is truly Terrible due to Freight congestion,Equipment Problems and Track Work in East Texas,.

All travel has some risks, and unexpected delays can occur. A lot depends on your own "comfort zone". Weather can be harsh in March, so a delay seems more possible at that time of year. I also recommend the Zephyr as offering the best scenery, It is my own favourite journey.
Amtrak gets into Emeryville, the transfer station for San Francisco, mid afternoon, if on time. I would suggest you don't aim for the following day, but the day after, to fly out.
I know it seems bonkers to think that is how trains work in America, but even if the weather is good, freight trains can cause significant delays.

Lay over overnight.

Thank you

And excellent choice with the California Zephyr. Sadly it has been almost 50 years since the CZ used silver dome cars as seen to the left. But the Sightseer lounge car is not bad at all. Check back with us early next year for more hints, but one tip - get up early in eastern Colorado and have breakfast in time to move to the SSL just as the train pulls into Denver. Get a seat on the right (station) side. Don't let go of it until after you pass through the Moffat Tunnel around 11am.

There are several good books about the original CZ, used prices vary widely, so shop around. Let me know if you would like specific recommendations. The many guide books to the Amtrak CZ aren't really necessary, you can get recent info off the web.

Amstew Zone? What does that mean? Just trying to understand lots of the terms being used by the ones who have done Amtrak a while.

Amstew Zone? What does that mean? Just trying to understand lots of the terms being used by the ones who have done Amtrak a while.
I imagine the term relates to the food used when an Amtrak train becomes delayed and there is not enough food on board to continue normal Amtrak food for mealtimes that were not planned for. The trains carry large tin cans of a Dinty Moore type stew that people call Amstew that are used in case the train is delayed and runs out of their normal food. Zone would be the timing where the Amstew is likely to be used, zephyr17 mentions 6-16 hours. I have never had Amstew myself.

Emergency ration meal, Dinty Moore over rice, known colloquially here as "Amstew" served to all passengers (not just sleeper) when a train is severely late, usually by at least 6 hours.

I have eaten the stew many times.

Back