New Orleans or Houston to Palm Springs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given the unusual issues in Pam Springs, I've wondered about Amtrak adding a stop in Indio instead of PS. From a brief visit there, I recall the tracks being in "downtown" Indio, there being ample parking -- and no blowing sand. It's closer to the broader PS area than is Ontario.
Amtrak had what could be described as a "cute" little station in Indio, inherited from SP. While not anything special it was in a nicer area than Palm Springs' current one and had available transportation, including a shuttle to/from at least one area hotel which we used on our one time there. I can't recall the reason for its closure but believe Amtrak did receive funding from the State to reopen it in 2020. Of course we all know what happened after that. :(

Given the unusual issues in Pam Springs, I've wondered about Amtrak adding a stop in Indio instead of PS. From a brief visit there, I recall the tracks being in "downtown" Indio, there being ample parking -- and no blowing sand. It's closer to the broader PS area than is Ontario.
The stop used to be Indio. They replaced it with Palm Springs.

If by "hire a car" you mean car and driver, that would be something on the order of Uber. If you mean what is commonly called rent a car, which means drive it yourself, I would strongly advise against doing it unless you have done driving in right hand driving countries before, or you can dip your toes in the water with several short trips in light traffic with no time pressure before doing anything more. Your normal left hand roadway driving habits can get you killed if you respond by normal habit at the wrong time. Secondly, you need to be sure the rental car companies would even let you rent a car at all.

Secondly, you need to be sure the rental car companies would even let you rent a car at all.
The US car rental firms are well used to foreign people renting cars, in my experience.

The law there also seem to have no problems issuing tickets to foreigners for speeding, I found... ;)

I have driven thousands of miles on some of the most enjoyable, scenic road trips, stateside.

To be honest, even forgetting in which direction to look first when walking across a road can be dangerous for us "lefties" :cool:

Amtrak had what could be described as a "cute" little station in Indio, inherited from SP. While not anything special it was in a nicer area than Palm Springs' current one and had available transportation, including a shuttle to/from at least one area hotel which we used on our one time there. I can't recall the reason for its closure but believe Amtrak did receive funding from the State to reopen it in 2020. Of course we all know what happened after that. :(
Here are some pictures of the former Indio station. It looks like the original SP station was torn down and replaced after Amtrak took over. The former station is now a UP office. There's a small platform remnant on the north track.

There's something that looks like an older longer platform to the east but it's now surrounded by other tracks and cut off.

If by "hire a car" you mean car and driver, that would be something on the order of Uber. If you mean what is commonly called rent a car, which means drive it yourself, I would strongly advise against doing it unless you have done driving in right hand driving countries before, or you can dip your toes in the water with several short trips in light traffic with no time pressure before doing anything more. Your normal left hand roadway driving habits can get you killed if you respond by normal habit at the wrong time. Secondly, you need to be sure the rental car companies would even let you rent a car at all.
Having done the opposite - on a trip to the UK where I was supposed to meet my parents at Gatwick and drive with them to Hastings, then a change of plan caused me to have to do the drive alone, having never driven in the UK before, including a stretch of the dreaded M25 - I would say going from UK to US roads is probably an easier transition, especially if one is driving out West where roads are wide and weather generally good. Contrast that with the UK, driving through villages laid out hundreds of years before the automobile, hoping that you are clearing the cars parked half on the sidewalk on a street barely wide enough for 2 cars.

Bermuda is a tough place to drive in. Besides driving on the”wrong side”, the narrow twisting roads have no shoulders or even sidewalks, and buildings come right to the very edge of the pavement. It is very hazardous to walk on, especially when you might meet two commercial vehicles passing in opposite directions.
IIRC, they will not rent cars to non-residents—only Scooters…

The easiest thing to do would be; one, use landscaping and other mitigation measures to address the sand problems; and two, provide security at train arrivals and departures. In addition, consideration could be given to a shuttle into PS to meet the train. Indio is a ways away. There are other locations for a station as close to PS as the existing station site if a new site is considered more cost effective.

There is no issue with foreigners renting cars. It happens all the time.

Back